Rose Nail Sucks.....arrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Decorating By susies1955 Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm by CakesbyJam

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:47pm
post #31 of 36

For more detailed instructions I like to add this part....

When you place the nail in the cake pan, place the flat top to the pan "floor", add your batter - recenter if needed - bake, when the cake comes out carefully take a clean kitchen towel and smoosh the dome down around the nails but don't hurt yourself they are sharp and they are hot. When the cake is done cooling and ready to be turned out gently press your cake board down over the nails letting the nails punch thru the board these tiny holes will not effect your boards performace at all! and letting it punch thru the board will allow it all to come out of the pan evenly and not risk the nails sliding one way or another and "ripping" the cake. Once the cake is out of the pan have someone help you or gently slide the board onto the counter/table and remove the nails by pulling straight up by the flat head of the nail which is now on top of the cake.

Hope this helps.

Niserise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niserise Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:45pm
post #32 of 36

Thank you so much for the reply Merissa. I will try this with the cake I am making on Monday, and will report back.

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:09pm
post #33 of 36

I posted this question but no one answered..it's along the same idea..baking temp.
I have baked several 9x13x2 cakes at 300 degrees and they only raised about 1 1/2 in. I have to bake 2 just so the cake would be high enough. Could it be that baking at 300 degrees caused this? I used DH cake mixes. I also use the baking strips..absolutely no domes..don't have to level at all.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:15pm
post #34 of 36

You won't get a dome at all when you use the baking strips regardless of temperature I'M TOLD... I have never used them so I can't say for sure.

I think the problem with your rising issue is the temperature. I always bake 9x13's at 350* for 40-50 minutes, checking every 5 minutes starting at the 40 minute mark. They always turn out pretty nicely (except in the dark/non stick pans - 325 for those) and since I don't use the strips I have a slight dome to smoosh down but that's not a problem either because the smooshing makes it more solid and dense and in my opinion taste better icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:29pm
post #35 of 36

>....baked several 9x13x2 cakes at 300 degrees and they only raised about 1 1/2 in. I have to bake 2 just so the cake would be high enough. Could it be that baking at 300 degrees caused this?

NO the temp is not what is causing your problem. You don't Say how much batter you put in the pan. Did you use only one cake mix? That is the problem. That size pan uses 1 1/2 mixes. (Or one 'extended recipe').
For more than 20 years I baked at 300 degrees and always had cakes a full 2" tall; moist and without a dome in the center.
Fill your pans *at least* 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter. Don't rely on how many cups or one mix. Make sure there is enough batter for the size of the pan. Many of Wilton's charcater pans are big....they take more batter than one mix no matter what Wilton saysicon_sad.gif

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm
post #36 of 36

Kakeladi,
Thank you! I assumed that using only one cake mix would be enough batter...I think I am wrong! Would I still bake at 300 degrees and use baking strips?

I thought it would be the same as using the regular old cake pan..but no...I will be filling my pans more full now! Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%