Wanna Know A Secret?????

Decorating By daisyblue Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 12:02pm by CakeCrystals

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:12am
post #421 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by loux2

I always put some non slip matting in the boot of my car when i'm delivering cakes as the boxes have a tendency to slide from side to side when i'm driving. my blood pressure has dropped dramatically since i started using it. icon_biggrin.gif

I seat belt the boxes in the car. People laugh at me, but it helps when tourist, who doesn't know where going, stop suddenly and I have to hit my breaks.
It keeps the cakes in place!

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 11:44am
post #422 of 645

This tip was posted last year, I am not sure who by. But this works really well.
Covering novelty tin cakes in sugar paste/fondant.

I torted then covered in buttercream before covering in sugarpaste.

Then I put the tin back on top and pressed down hard to transfer the markings.

Any markings in the background colour are then acentuated using a dresdon tool. All of the other colours of sugarpaste were added piece by piece, cutting to approx size before placing on the cake. If you only wet where you want the sugar paste, you can trim it to actual size and remove excess paste quite easily.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:17pm
post #423 of 645

This thread is awesome. I wonder how long it will take me to go thru it icon_biggrin.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:50pm
post #424 of 645

1. I use rubber bands on my decorating bags so the icing wont spill
2. I use shelf liner for grip whether in car for transporting or to make sure cake is put when decorating
3. I use tiles to put weight on cakes when I want to make sure they wont have bulges
4. crud! i had all this tips and now cant remember. oh well, ill repost as i remember them

cardicard Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:14pm
post #425 of 645

1. Circles with a curved edge.
The best way to get circles with rounded edges (like a bangle), is to cover your fondant with plastic wrap. Use your cutter right over the plastic wrap. Then, use a slightly smaller cutter to cut away the inside. Remove plastic wrap.
2. Coloured sprinkels
Take any white sprinkels, (works with sugar to.) and place in a zipper bag. Add a very small amount of food powder dust (lustre dusts are very pretty to use) and close the bag.
Shake the bag well. then they are ready to use.
Make sure you use a very little dust as they can become to dark.
3. Left over flower paste.
After making flowers the paste is inclined to be dry, and harder to use.
The best way is to mix a drop of water into it to counter the drying effect of the powdered sugar or corn flour it was rolled out on.
If the weather is really hot and dry and you paste is drying faster than you can work with. Then add a little fondant icing mixed with it usually helps.

bakencake Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #426 of 645

when Im making cupcakes for kids i dont put the paper liners on them. Just grease the tins pour the mix and bake. I dont have all those paper liners all over and the cupcakes dont get all crummy like they do when you pull the liner from the cupcake they dont even notice.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #427 of 645

i think this thread is def. google doc worthy!! does anyone know how to make one?

my tip is get a cheap manicure set from the bargain shop (metal tips preferably) they are excellent tools for gumpaste/fondant modeling!

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 1:08am
post #428 of 645

I make 'bake even strips' using a wet dish towel folded in thirds and wrapped in tin foil. It works even better then using wet paper towel wrapped in tin foil.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:38am
post #429 of 645

If you are worried about ants or other creepy crawlies attacking your cake overnight, put a roasting dish on your bench with some water in it. Put two upside down cups in the water, one at either end. Balance your cake board on the two cups. Now you have a 'moat' that the crawlies must learn to swim across in order to get to your cake!

I have had this thread open in my browser for days and read every single one of these tips... *whew*

TinasCookings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinasCookings Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:16pm
post #430 of 645

29 pages read icon_lol.gif
One more option for soaking the cake layers (or when they are torted) is milk. Just plain, regular milk. thumbs_up.gif
Or chocolate milk, whatever works for you.
This is good when the customer doesn't want the simple syrup (cause of the sugar), but it's useful anyways. icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 4:29pm
post #431 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbieCakes

This thread is FANTASTIC!

My tip (for saving the info I'm learning here!) is - I'm printing the topic (at work of course! icon_wink.gif ), clipping all the pages together like a book, then highlighting all the info I'm finding interesting.

That way, when I'm looking for a piece of information I can just review the highlighted portions instead of pulling my hair out trying to remember what page I saw it on.

If someone has a better idea than this, please post!

P.S. After I read through the entire thread, I'll pick my own brain to add something here and try not to be redundant.

Thanks again everyone thumbs_up.gif

I made a PDF of the whole thread, pages 1 to 28 to keep with me forever, and just in case someone has the bad idea of deleting the thread!

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 8:00pm
post #432 of 645

What a wonderful, helpful thread!!! I have learned sooo much! I have one tip that I don't think has been talked about....I hope! When making MMF, I got so tired of the sticky mess, I just about stopped making MMF because of the mess, I tried my KA mixer for mixing and other suggestions, and, I have found a way to mix it that is mess free!! Before I melt the marshmallows, I get a big bowl and put my bag of powdered sugar in it and make a well in the middle, after the marshmallows are melted, I do grease a butter knife to stir them, I pour it in the middle of the powdered sugar, then I take my hand and go down the side of the bowl so that I keep the powdered sugar between my hand and the melted marshmallows. I scoop the PS up on to the marshmallows and kinda press it into it. I keep going around the bowl, it is kind of kneeding the PS into the marshmallows. I do this until I can touch it and it is not sticky. I then kneed the fondant until it is completely done, right in the bowl with no sticky mess!! Then I put a thin coating of shortening on the ball of fondant and wrap in plastic wrap then into a zip lock, all in a matter of a few minutes!! Now I make fondant all the time!!! Hope I haven't totally confused everyone!! One more thing...I use two whole 10 oz. bags of marshmallows to one whole bag of PS. I add 2 TBL of water and any flavorings you like, then microwave until melted. That will use all of the PS, so all you have to do is wash up!!

cardicard Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 11:11pm
post #433 of 645

I have just been to a BSG meeting and a judge for cake shows here in the uk, was there talking about cake decorating. She has been doing it for 20 years, and she gave us a great tip.

Melt fondant with a little hot water until you have a piping consistency,
Then you can use the exact same colour that you are using on your cake to pipe, writing, making leaves etc.
If it gets too wet add a little icing sugar.

Also ideal for sticking flowers and fondant decorations on cakes or cakes to boards.

I have just tried it to pipe writing on to a cake and to pipe a small border around the bottom (snail trail) It is amazing, it worked really well and the writing and border was the exact colour of the decorations on the cake.

I will definatly use this method from now on, it saves alot of time instead of making royal icing. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 11:20pm
post #434 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardicard

Melt fondant with a little hot water until you have a piping consistency,
Then you can use the exact same colour that you are using on your cake to pipe, writing, making leaves etc.

Also ideal for sticking flowers and fondant decorations on cakes or cakes to boards.

What a great tip cardicard...I will be trying this one for sure!! So many great tips on here...I love it!

Thanks everyone.. thumbs_up.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 1:34pm
post #435 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I made a PDF of the whole thread, pages 1 to 28 to keep with me forever, and just in case someone has the bad idea of deleting the thread!

Oh pls do tell how you done that......I can copy/paste the whole thing, but I'd love this info!!! thanks

The_Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Cakery Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #436 of 645

My secret (and I'm pretty sure it's no secret) is to use Viva paper towels to smooth buttercream. Just apply your crumb coat, then your top coat and let it sit for a few minutes so it loses a bit of its tackiness, then use the smooth side of the Viva paper towel against the buttercream and run your icing knife along it with a tiny bit of pressure to smooth out the buttercream and voila! Note: only Viva's work for this as all other paper towels (that I know of) have a quilted pattern that won't work for this trick.

bakencake Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 11:39pm
post #437 of 645
Quote:
Quote:

My secret (and I'm pretty sure it's no secret) is to use Viva paper towels to smooth buttercream. Just apply your crumb coat, then your top coat and let it sit for a few minutes so it loses a bit of its tackiness, then use the smooth side of the Viva paper towel against the buttercream and run your icing knife along it with a tiny bit of pressure to smooth out the buttercream and voila! Note: only Viva's work for this as all other paper towels (that I know of) have a quilted pattern that won't work for this trick.

then do the same thing but with computer paper.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:11am
post #438 of 645

30 PAGES of secrets, yikes! it's gonna take forever to read all these!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:25am
post #439 of 645

OMG I will never use anything other than Magic Line Square cake pans....they are amazing!!!

I have a new tip.....use your airbrush outside....especially if you are spraying red......unless you want red walls..........and floors.........and windows................ugh....and red nose hair hehehe

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #440 of 645

When I make gumpaste flowers, or any other gumpaste decorations, and they turn out WRONG... even if they turn out ok and I don't want to use them on a cake, I don't throw them away, I save them. When I want to "test a color", whether it's with petal dusts or food colors (with vodka) etc..... I use the scrap gumpaste to test my techniques and colors! That way I won't ruin the entire cake by trying out a new color on a real cake!! ~~

I also like to save the empty containers from petal dust, luster and sparkle dust, etc.
I use them for mixing different dusts etc. that way, I don't waste anything!! I save it, and mark it so I know what color combination is in the container!
I also use the containers from petal dusts for mixing food colors with vodka.. for painting more vivid colors on fondant and gumpaste! Once again, no waste!
Next time I need to use that color, I add a tiny drop of vodka to refresh the color! Even just the smallest drop of Americolors will last for several applications!

madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 1:17am
post #441 of 645

You can take old pieces of gumpaste and put them in a plastic container with a lid..and water....the gumpaste melts and now you have gumpaste glu icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:35am
post #442 of 645

The most valuable tip I have recieved on CC is to go to Walmart in the fabric section and buy two pieces of vinyl. One large enough to cover the table and one smaller (about 14") Take the larger one...on the back side...draw on 8" circle in the center, then over that draw a ten inch circle, then a 12" and so on with permenant marker. Let it dry thoroughly...when you flip it over...you now have the perfect sizes for rolling out your fondant without any guess work. This works great for larger size cakes when you need larger fondant. You can also do the same with the smaller piece for rolling out decorations that don't require so much space. AND the big plus is...it doesn't stick...just rub on a very small amount of shortening. This has been a god send to me. Clean up is a breeze, and I just roll it up and put it in a leftover wrapping paper tube to store it.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:42am
post #443 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

The most valuable tip I have recieved on CC is to go to Walmart in the fabric section and buy two pieces of vinyl. One large enough to cover the table and one smaller (about 14") Take the larger one...on the back side...draw on 8" circle in the center, then over that draw a ten inch circle, then a 12" and so on with permenant marker. Let it dry thoroughly...when you flip it over...you now have the perfect sizes for rolling out your fondant without any guess work. This works great for larger size cakes when you need larger fondant. You can also do the same with the smaller piece for rolling out decorations that don't require so much space. AND the big plus is...it doesn't stick...just rub on a very small amount of shortening. This has been a god send to me. Clean up is a breeze, and I just roll it up and put it in a leftover wrapping paper tube to store it.

I love this I was tring to figure out how I could make my surface bigger so it didn't move around so much great idea thanks icon_wink.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #444 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbieCakes

This thread is FANTASTIC!

My tip (for saving the info I'm learning here!) is - I'm printing the topic (at work of course! icon_wink.gif ), clipping all the pages together like a book, then highlighting all the info I'm finding interesting.

That way, when I'm looking for a piece of information I can just review the highlighted portions instead of pulling my hair out trying to remember what page I saw it on.

If someone has a better idea than this, please post!

P.S. After I read through the entire thread, I'll pick my own brain to add something here and try not to be redundant.

Thanks again everyone thumbs_up.gif

icon_cry.gif wow tell me how to do this?

asweething Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asweething Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:35am
post #445 of 645

I am new as well and have taught myself by way of internet and wilton books. I am a big fan of fondant but when I color it, I use the wilton food coloring gels in the jars but when I am trying to tint it black or get a nice dark color the fondant gets a weird texture and I cant work with it or cover with it.
1)Can anyone give me any advise? I have only used MMF and am not sure if maybe that is the problem or if I should buy the already tinted fondant.
2)When covering a cake with MMF I usually roll it out thinner than thicker, should I be making it thicker? I try keeping to the 1/4 inch thickness but doesnt always work out that way.
3)Another question is when I buttercream the cake before fondant, I chill for about 30 mins before covering in fondant but i cant seem to get my finished product as firm as I would like. It seems to get a little mushy, not soggy but soft to touch. Should I bake the cake for a little longer? I am afraid I will dry out the cake itself. I see on the cake tv shows how they can pick up the cake layers and they stay together pretty well but mine doesnt. I have to be careful not to make it crumble. Does anyone have a good firm cake recipie or suggestion?
Sorry so lengthy but still have so much to learn! Thank you all for your help!!

It's ALWAYS a "Sweet Thing" baby!

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 4:50am
post #446 of 645

Asweetthing...You otta take a class because the questions are really basic ones and class is sooo much fun and you can learn a lot. It's easier to understand things visually vs written.

Good luck to you!
jenifer

madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 5:04am
post #447 of 645

asweething......when you use too much color fondant will get droopy and hard to work with.......also it will darken after a day......for black use black cocoa powder when you are making your fondant and then add a tsp pf black add it when you are adding conf sugar.......it will get black by the next day...hth

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:16am
post #448 of 645
Quote:

Melt fondant with a little hot water until you have a piping consistency, Then you can use the exact same colour that you are using on your cake to pipe, writing, making leaves etc.
I have just tried it to pipe writing on to a cake and to pipe a small border around the bottom (snail trail) It is amazing, it worked really well and the writing and border was the exact colour of the decorations on the cake.

I will definatly use this method from now on, it saves alot of time instead of making royal icing. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

THAT'S AWESOME! BEST NEWS IVE HEARD ALL DAY icon_biggrin.gif
I will try this. Tomorrow in fact! BUT... sounds like a silly question but I want to get it right...... How much fondant to how much water - do I do it over the stove in a pot or in the microwave?

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 7:40am
post #449 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

Quote:

Melt fondant with a little hot water until you have a piping consistency, Then you can use the exact same colour that you are using on your cake to pipe, writing, making leaves etc.

THAT'S AWESOME! BEST NEWS IVE HEARD ALL DAY icon_biggrin.gif
I will try this. Tomorrow in fact! BUT... sounds like a silly question but I want to get it right...... How much fondant to how much water - do I do it over the stove in a pot or in the microwave?

I have also heard of using this method to fill any tears in your fondant

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 8:42am
post #450 of 645

Sams club sells their awsome frostif in the bakery dept by the bucket they also sell colored buttercream alot of colors in smaller amts...it is so delicious and a huge time saver...sorry if someone already posted this secret...just ask at the sams club bakery they are very helpful ...Good luck to all !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%