Wanna Know A Secret?????

Decorating By daisyblue Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 12:02pm by CakeCrystals

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:31am
post #181 of 645

Another thing I have learned is that you can fix a bump or nick in crusting buttercream with a hot metal spatula (dipped in boiling water and dried) after it has crusted. It doesn't turn out perfect, but it is does melt it together some! Only beware, that it could change the icing color if it isn't white.

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:50pm
post #182 of 645

mamas, I hope that I explain this right: before you torte your cake, take a knife and make a small 'cosmetic' cut in the cake side vertically, then torte like you normally would. When you are ready to put the layers back together, just align the 'cut' that you made, and it's back together like it should be... Hope that makes sense!

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 7:55pm
post #183 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethbyington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarzoemom

When I am using my rose nail to make flowers, instead of putting frosting on it to hold my parchment, I use the yellow tacky puddy that you get to hang posters on the wall and put a little spot on it to hold them in place. It also works on cake boards to keep them from sliding and putting on the bottam of cupcake papers when making a cupcake cake. Less mess and a package is $2 and last forever.

I use ZOTS for the same thing - you can find these clear adhesive dots with the scrapbook/card making stuff at the store

When taking the Wilton classes we were told to make copies of the patterns that are used with the flower nail and then "stick" them on the nail using florist tacking. I decided it was much easier to just take my pattern sheet to Kinkos. I had them make me a copy of the patterns on a magnetic sheet and laminate the top. After that I cut them each out, now my flower patterns are magnetic, I just pop them on top of my flower nail. The bc I use tack the wax paper to pattern just wipes right off.

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:02am
post #184 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeNee30

mamas, I hope that I explain this right: before you torte your cake, take a knife and make a small 'cosmetic' cut in the cake side vertically, then torte like you normally would. When you are ready to put the layers back together, just align the 'cut' that you made, and it's back together like it should be... Hope that makes sense!

Thank you that is crystal clear.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 2:08pm
post #185 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeNee30

Thanks NeeNee! That's exactly it!! I was gonna post a quick sketch but your explanation was on the money.!!

-Rezzy

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 2:45pm
post #186 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edibleart

Something else I have picked up from here...

If you have a turntable that doesn't tilt, you can use a 3-ring binder on the turntable under your cake to make decorating the sides easier - I use shelf liner under the binder and under the cake to keep it from sliding. If you are good with wood (or someone you know is!) you could make a wedge that would be a little more solid.

I like this idea! It makes sense, but I'ts something I wouldn't have thought of. thanks! icon_smile.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 2:49pm
post #187 of 645

Edibleart, good tip about changing the icing color. I used this technique, but only tried with very hot water, but I didn't realize it could change other colors. Great tip!

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 2:53pm
post #188 of 645

Wow! There are so many great tips on this post! Infields, I am going to take your suggestion and make a word document and put it in my "Notes" notebook. That's the only way to keep track of them! Also, I love your tip about torting large cakes. thumbs_up.gif

NeeNee30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeeNee30 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:16pm
post #189 of 645

Mamas, sometimes I am not sure how well I explain things.... icon_confused.gif glad to be of help!! thumbs_up.gif

Rezzycakes, sorry to have taken over your tip! I am really glad that you posted that, I keep thinking "wow, I can't believe that I didn't think of doing something like that"!! icon_redface.gif I guess I am a little dense sometimes!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:35pm
post #190 of 645

the knotch in the cake is a great idea...i use it for a choc mousse cake that i make.

another tip from me is this.... if you have lumpy icing sugar that takes a lot of time to sieve....pop it in the food processor and wiz out all the lumps then run it through your sieve....much faster.

cncsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncsmom45 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 11:19pm
post #191 of 645

Thanks for the many great tips. I recently tried microwaving tips to clean them and using the rose nail to bake with. Both worked really well!

My tip is probably common knowledge, but here goes:

When coloring buttercream (especially red or black), I find adding powdered sugar can help darken the color while stiffening the buttercream at the same time. You know, cuz adding all the food dye can thin the frosting.

countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:14am
post #192 of 645

I was making some roses tonight and had to do a few red ones. I had some extra icing so I decided experiment and see what happened. I added just a little Wilton Rose color to the icing and got a real bright pink. I then added just a dot of Wilton Purple color and got a dirty looking pink. So I then added some Wilton Red and wound up with a really pretty red. By mixing these colors I found that I didnt have to use as much red coloring to get the red I wanted. Just though you all might want to know so you can try when making red icing.

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:40pm
post #193 of 645

Speaking of coloring icing/fondant, someone once mentioned that if you want a darker black you can add a little purple or violet...

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 10:38am
post #194 of 645

Another alternative to crumb coating your cake with b/c is to use an apricot glaze and let it dry before icing it as normal.

Thank you for all the wonderful hints and tips!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 4:25am
post #195 of 645

Mixing colors does give a deeper color - not always darker but more depth of color. Even lipsticks are coming out with it now!

Has anyone come up with a color chart for getting the really good colors?

whimsette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsette Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 3:21pm
post #196 of 645

I keep a log of all the cakes I do that includes the color recipes. This comes in handy when a bride wants the colors from a specific cake in my portfolio on her own cake. I'm not left trying to recreate the custom color(s) completely through trial and error again.

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 3:29pm
post #197 of 645

When taking the Wilton classes we were told to make copies of the patterns that are used with the flower nail and then "stick" them on the nail using florist tacking. I decided it was much easier to just take my pattern sheet to Kinkos. I had them make me a copy of the patterns on a magnetic sheet and laminate the top. After that I cut them each out, now my flower patterns are magnetic, I just pop them on top of my flower nail. The bc I use tack the wax paper to pattern just wipes right off.[/quote]
Cool! I didnt even know they had a product like that. Thanks icon_smile.gif

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:53am
post #198 of 645

Babynewyear, that is the best idea ever!!! I can't wait to try that!! You are SO clever!! (Hey, I kinda made a rhyme!!)

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #199 of 645

Here is what I do when I do my cakes and it certainly makes my cakes look, bake, and decorate better.

*Use a cake mix extender to fill out my 9x13x2" and 2 8x2" round pans and makes my cakes taste better.
*Use Magic Line pans.
*Use bake even strips.
*Lightly drop pans that have been filled with batter onto countertop a couple of times to pop any air bubbles.
*Bake cakes at 325 degrees.
*Let cakes cool for about 10 minutes and then turn cakes out onto cooling racks and immediately wrap cakes in plastic wrap.
*Use hi-ratio shortening in my buttercream frosting.
*Use VIVA paper towels to help smooth out my cakes.

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:38am
post #200 of 645

I quoted srod911 She is the one with the great idea icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I thought it was cool I am so sorry it looked like that. I must have copyed the qoate wrong.

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 11:11pm
post #201 of 645

No worries here Babynewyear!! It's still a great idea!!! icon_smile.gif

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 8:47pm
post #202 of 645

I have read all of these tips. All so goood.... I thought of this by accident...it works like a charm. I bought shoe shine sponges by Ecko. They are small, fits in my hand. Great for sitting in front of the TV and makeing small flowers. Also great for smoothing small areas.

Lettyva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lettyva Posted 22 Nov 2006 , 6:39pm
post #203 of 645

These are all great ideas. Thank You!! icon_biggrin.gif

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:22am
post #204 of 645

I just tried the microwave tip trick and it works amazingly well! And the butter water tip has been a lifesaver!

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:27am
post #205 of 645

On my past two cakes I've sifted my cake mixes, like someone suggested, and boy what a difference that makes. WOW! Holy crap! I will sift from now on.

I've also enjoyed the tip on plastic wrap laid down on counter to crack eggs on/place dirty spoons on, what a time saver on cleanup.

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:29am
post #206 of 645

I love this thread!!!

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 2:56pm
post #207 of 645

INCREDIBLE thread!!!! you guys are the best. can't wait to think of some of my own "tips" so I can contribute, too. feels like I'm always just "stealing" ideas, but I want to give back as well. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.......

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:10pm
post #208 of 645

For tip washing, I simply bought little mesh bags ( I believe Wilton sells them). I fill it with all my dirty tipes (icing and all) and drop it in the dishwasher. I don't rinse them, don't have mess with them at all. It works great.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:16pm
post #209 of 645

katerpillrgrl,

I will be trying that. I have the mesh bag, too, but always totally rinsed the tips out first. I started using that mesh bag for the little sippy cup inserts for the gazillion sippy cups we've got around here because when i put those stoppers in the basket that I've got, they always got loose and would end up at the bottom of my dishwasher. So, granted, it's not a cake tip but for anyone with those sippy cup stoppers, the mesh bag works great!

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:17pm
post #210 of 645

Also, when I am working with bc and need to pipe different colors with the same tip, there is no need to have more than one type of tip. I simply interchange the tips with the original icing color still in it. All you have to do after switching the tip from one icing bag to another is squeeze out the original color on a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Within a few seconds you will see the new color just as true as you mixed it and it's ready to use on your cake.

You might want to use the white or yellow colors first before the other colors, however.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%