Antonia 74 Icing- Sugar Measurement?

Baking By SueW Updated 6 Nov 2006 , 11:59am by vickymacd

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:42am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know the measurement in cups for the 2 lbs 4oz.(1 kilogram) of powdered sugar Antonia's recipe calls for ?I am no math whiz and tried to "wing it" before, needless to say my icing was horrible. Also, any tips on smoothing the icing once it hits the cookie? Thanks.

SueW

11 replies
SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:53am
post #2 of 12

It's one 2lb bag of sugar plus 4oz which is 1/2 cup.

Smoothing? If you thin the icing out it will flood the cookie and you don't have to do anything to smooth it.

You might want to PM Antonia74....I'm sure she would help you with any questions. Her icing recipe is fantastic once you get the technique down! It took me a few times! thumbs_up.gif

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 3:05am
post #3 of 12

I only used the 2lb bag. and I still had to add more water. You need to get the icing thin enuff so that after a few seconds, you can test it and it'll "melt" back into itself. If that makes sense. She explains it better on her tutorial. Also when i flooded my cookies i kinda wiggled em a little bit and it smoothed it out itself. hope that helps! Keep trying I LOVE that icing!

SueW Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 3:08am
post #4 of 12

Thanks for your tips. I buy big 7 lb bags of powdered sugar so that is why I am so confused, I think icon_confused.gif I guess I should just buy a 2 lb bag and add the 1/2 cup? I must not have thinned my icing enough because I had to spread it all over the cookie and it made a mess icon_cry.gif

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 3:08am
post #5 of 12

I thin my icing a tiny bit at a time until I can drop some in the bowl and it disappears into itself. Then I "shake" the cookie to smooth it out. Usually works pretty well. Just don't "shake" too hard or the icing will go over the sides.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 3:17am
post #6 of 12

I get 4 cups of sugar to a 1 pound bag.
So, for 2 pounds 4oz, it will be 8 1/2 cups of sugar

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 3:46am
post #7 of 12

I use 9 cups. thumbs_up.gif

SueW Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 4:34am
post #8 of 12

thank you, thank you qtkaylassweets &
tayesmama . That is just what I needed, plain and simple by the cup thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 12

Typical bag of conf. sugar is 4 cups per pound.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 12

I'd really recommend weighing your ingredients. It can be so inaccurate to use cups for this. thumbs_up.gif

I wrote a whole article on decorating cookies. Here's the link to it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 12

My DD (who's 10 yr. old) and I just made cookies iced w/this icing yesterday. I wouldn't put that much sugar. It makes it too thick. I believe her recipe states the 9 cups is for thick consistency.

My DD decorated the cookies and they came out very good. It is not hard to do with this icing. Getting the icing smooth is easy. We didn't shake them or anything.

You won't have trouble with it. icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 11:59am
post #12 of 12

Helen,
From your typed fingers to my weight scale...I will now weigh the sugar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%