Why Am I So Afraid?

Decorating By SueW Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm by tiptop57

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 13

I am new to decorating and really want to give it a shot but I find myself so scared to be bad at it that I am barely practicing.So far I feel like all the things I have tried have been a disaster. I spend hours on CC taking notes and looking at the gallery pictures but barely try to attempt it myself. I start to sweat just at the thought of using fondant. My husband said the other day, instead of spending so much time on line why don't you practice. I was so mad at first but then I realized he is right. Why am I so afraid?

Just for the record, I made a cookies and cream cake today and the whole middle collapsed. Maybe I am just not good at this??? Does anyone else feel this way?

12 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 13

Hi Sue,
it'a all in the practice, just make cakes for yourself in the beginning. Give yourself time to make it, and don't put yourself under pressure. Just do it to have fun. Don't make it for a special occasion either, fun is special enough. In the beginning, it's a mindset. Have fun and you will be more relaxed

rachie_blue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachie_blue Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 13

You have nothing to worry about. I looked at your cakes and they look great! thumbs_up.gif

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 13

Hang in there - and at the risk of sounding like my mother - "Practice makes perfect!!!"

When my friend Sue and I started up we made some scary looking things and some major disasters - but now we are improving every time we do a cake. I look at my class 1 cake and think "OH NO!!" - but even then people were saying WOW its beautiful. We are always harder on ourselves. Do some cakes for practice - eat your mistakes, then keep going!!!!! We never expected this would turn into a business!

Best of luck!!!!!!!

Galxcbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galxcbaby Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 13

Aw, don't be scared. Baking is not the easiest thing in the world, and we've all messed up plenty of times. Just the other day I put 8 times the amount of levening called for in a batch of cookies by accident, and they ended up tasting like prezels.
If you want you could start easy with cake mixes and pre-made icing, then work up to scratch things as you get more comfortable. But if this is something you woul really like to do, then don't give up!!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:00am
post #6 of 13

I looked at your cakes too, and I think you will be great! We all started out not knowing very much, and like others have said, it comes with practice. I love that anniversary cake in your photos. Hang in there, and keep practicing.

Ditter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ditter Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:11am
post #7 of 13

Hi Sue I just looked at your pictures and you do not have anything to worry about at all. I think they are beautiful. What you should do now is bake another cake as soon as possible not letting too much time going by, you know just like falling off a horse. I look gorward to seeing more of your work, as you learn more. I have been at this for fun for a very very very long time and we all start out making mistakes. Take care a bake a cake to feel better

Mickey

McDuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McDuff Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:11am
post #8 of 13

Hey Sue just jump in there and go for it.. Start out with some simple things then move up. Nothing to worry about at all you will do fine.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:23am
post #9 of 13

Sue

Your cakes and cookies look great. You should not be scared to try things. I am very very new to cake decorating and I think we just judge ourselves too much. I went through the horrors of my daughters sweet 16 cake yesterday and was so unhappy with it and I guess because all of the problems I had with it but it was a HUGE success today and everyone at Texas Roadhouse just had a fit over it, not to mention the waitresses fighting over the cake I sent to the back.

Don't be afraid. The fondant is really not that hard to do. I feel like crying and do say a lot of choice words every time I do it and it tears but it always works out in the end.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 13

I can relate to the same feelings. Not only does it scare me but finding the time to practice is also a problem. I say I am going to do something during the weekend and the time never seems to come. I know practice is necessary but when I do get the time I want to be able to take it to work or at least it look like something the family wants to eat... icon_confused.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks so much for all your kind and encouring words, it really helps. I guess I am in a lull because I have taken Wilton 1 & 2 and they won't offer 3 until after the holidays. I know I just need to practice but it is hard to fine the time with 2 little ones but I guess I just need to stop making excuses and start baking icon_biggrin.gif My girlfriend is having her baby RIGHT NOW and I want to try the basketweave baby cake in the Wilton 2 course book so maybe her be in labor will force me to get it done tonight icon_rolleyes.gif I just get so intimidated by the beautiful work I see here on CC , I just don't know how to ever get that good icon_cry.gif You are all a great help, thanks so much.

auntiem26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem26 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 13

Your stuff is great! Don't give up and check this site often for great tips and advice. Tgis forum is really helpful.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm
post #13 of 13

Oh boy SueW can I relate to your story. Yesterday I just turned in a cake for an art show and I was scared to death they would reject it. Recently I made a cake and forgot the sugar. Can ya believe that! How does someone forget sugar. Yucky.

Anyway, I looked at your gallery and it is lovely. I really like your fashion design cookies. They are particularly sweet!

I make about a cake a week since February. All I can say is practice, practice and practice.

PSST.......read my tagline then just do it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%