Hellllp ---- Hurry

Baking By pinklady1356 Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 10:09pm by antonia74

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 15

I just made some antonia 's royal icing for cookies and they taste like yucky.. thick and wonder if you can put some kind of flavor like almond or vanilla in it? Do i need to put more water in it to make it thinner or not? Thank you

14 replies
alysmom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alysmom09 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 15

I'm assuming that the icing tastes bad.....yes you can add flavoring it won't hurt it. I do it all the time. You are supposed to thin the icing so you can flood the cookie after you outline with the thick. Start with a small amount of water....you can always add, but not take away HTH icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:42am
post #3 of 15

Don't go by what the icing tastes like on its own. It will taste fine on the cookies, but I don't like it at all on its own. Just ask my family who practically got drunk off of the icing the first time I made it! I kept adding more and more vanilla because it just tasted bad. Needless to say, it was an interesting Easter with my alcohol-laden cookies. icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:56am
post #4 of 15

yep I found it has a kinda dish soapy taste lol the first time I made it I through it out and rinsed my bowls and utensil about 4 times but it's always the same but after it's on the cookie it tastes good

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:24am
post #5 of 15

Personally I don't use royal on cookies anymore since discovering Toba Garrett's cookie icing. It tasted great, easy to use & dries nice w/o the hard texture of dried royal. If you haven't tried it it is truly the best! Hope you find what works best for you.

thumbs_up.gif 1 lb. confectioners' sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
flavoring as desired

In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.
Divide to flavor and add color.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:54am
post #6 of 15

You might want to add some brite white food coloring to the Toba's. I was given this hint on a previous post, and it helps keep the icing from getting cloudy and splotchy when it gets cold.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:02am
post #7 of 15

Sorry...it's because the meringue powder I purchase here locally already contains vanillin flavouring....an ingredient that I didn't realize Wilton and some other brands do NOT contain when I created my recipe years ago.

You can certainly add extract, but make sure it contains no oil. Royal icing dries slower and at worst can even break down when it is mixed with oil.

bakerj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerj Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:14am
post #8 of 15

well i made 6 dozen last night with antonios and it rocks...they love it...perhaps not what you had in mind but here we have it in mind.the other i am to afraid of the milk..

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #9 of 15

Antonia's RI rocks! And, she is SO helpful!!!!

I usually do add flavoring...play around and have fun with different ones!!!

Good luck!
Lish

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:27am
post #10 of 15

I've used Antonia's since I joined cc several months ago.

I use this recipe for outlining cookies and it's always perfect.

To flood cookies, I put some corn syrup into the final batch of Antonia74 icing and flavoring. This is sort of like Toba Garrett's glaze but dries faster.

I usually add something like butterscotch flavor (1/2 teaspoon of Lorann Oil) and it tasts great. My favorite is tangerine or lemon oil.

HTH --Marianne

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:29am
post #11 of 15

Ooops...I forgot to say:

Thanks Antonia for the wonderful recipe!!

thumbs_up.gif

bakerj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerj Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #12 of 15

i son't add anything but i may try.. i just don't find it thick enough to outline..am i doing something wrong?

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Sorry...it's because the meringue powder I purchase here locally already contains vanillin flavouring....an ingredient that I didn't realize Wilton and some other brands do NOT contain when I created my recipe years ago.

You can certainly add extract, but make sure it contains no oil. Royal icing dries slower and at worst can even break down when it is mixed with oil.

would you mind sharing the brand meringue powder you use. That sounds interesting to have the vanilla flavoring allready incorporated.

otherwise how much vanilla extract should i add to each batch of icicng.

antonia74 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 15

Here's the link to the powder I buy. It's absolutely delicious! (You can also get it direct from the McCall's store, but I don't really care for that place anymore. They don't get my business! icon_razz.gificon_mad.gif I'd rather pay a bit more at this awesome supplier who delivers as well:

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?id=88&pid=3083&step=4

Golda's Kitchen Supply is my #1 favourite cake supplier around here. They are utterly amazing!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:09pm
post #15 of 15

(sorry, I posted twice by accident!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%