Candy Melts

Decorating By mommymarilyn Updated 26 Jul 2005 , 3:29am by traci

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 10

How far in advance can you make the molded candies with the Wilton candy Melts? Since they're basically just melted candy, should they be stored in plastic bags, like the discs? I'm doing some for a baby shower and would like to do them a few weeks before. Any advice you can give would be so helpful. Thanks

9 replies
Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 10

I haven't worked with the candy melts, but I have done a lot of work making chocolate candies using molds.

I wouldn't store them in a bag because they would bump into each other and the surface wouldn't be as shiny and pretty.

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 10

You can make the candy ahead of time and either freeze it or put it in a cool place. I did this last summer for a wedding that I made over 1500 pieces of candy for. If you don't want them to hit against each other, you can put them in a flat plastic container with layers of waxed paper between them. They should be okay for several weeks to several months. We started ours the end of June for an August wedding.

Lori11941 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori11941 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 10

How are you planning to package them? Are you going to be individually wrapping them anyway? My mother went on a major candy making binge for a while and used the candy melts. As long as she packaged the candies in individual bags (she did a lot of candy on a stick, put it in one of those Wilton candy bags and tied a ribbon on it), it easily lasted for about 2 weeks. It probably would have been fine longer, but by then she got tired of looking at what was left and just threw them together in a big ziplock bag in the pantry where it got bumped around a lot. If you're not planning to individually wrap them, I'd probably use a large Tupperware container, lay them along the bottom so that they aren't touching and put waxed paper between the layers. Try not to jostle them around too much, since they'll get scratched as they come in contact with each other.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about putting paper towels between the layers, but waxed paper would probably be much better, and now that I think about it, the paper towels might leave impressions. Great suggestions! I'm so glad for this site, and to have so many experienced, talented people to get answers from!

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 1:47am
post #6 of 10

you can find white candy boxes at michaels if you are not doing a lot. with sheets (bought or wax paper) always worked fine with me.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 1:59am
post #7 of 10

I have done ALOT of these for baby showers (including my own) I went to a pizza store -Little Cea**rs, pizza h*t, domi*os , you get the idea..They let me have clean pizza boxes at no charge. I lined them with wax paper and went at it. They will lay flat, single layer. I just kept stacking boxes on my kitchen counter until I could not stand to smell candys anymore.

I will suggest, if using alot of different colors(I like mine detailed) using a electric skillet with 1 inch of water in the bottom. I place a washcloth in the bottom and my glass jars of candys. I find that if i leave the skillet on simmer the warm water bath will keep all the candy melted and usable all at the same time for as long as I want to work with it. Just DON'T get the water in the candy. You will end up with a mess.

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 2:30am
post #8 of 10

i use melts all the time.. im more of a chocolate maker than anything else. so u can make this way ahead of time and it will be ok.. i wouldnt put them in a bag just bc it will rub and wont look as nice. cool dry place is ur friend icon_biggrin.gif

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 2:41am
post #9 of 10

I worked in a candy supply store which also made a lot of candy using candy melts. I did about 600-700 daisies for my daughter's wedding reception in about 2 1/2 hours with one other person helping!. I made them 2 weeks before the wedding. I stored them in a box (I like to use the lids from copy paper boxes as they are shallow). You can use parchment or waxed paper to protect from hitting them together if they are moved. Also, they have available "candy pads" that you might be able to purchase at a cake and candy supply store or maybe a kitchen supply store. It is like the thick pad they use to package candy like Whitmans or whatever. Here we can purchase it in a large sheet (maybe size of 1/2 sheet board)and cut it to size.

Also, I was always taught NOT to freeze your chocolate. One reason being that when you remove it there may be "sweating" and result in sticky candy. Same with a refrigerator.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 3:29am
post #10 of 10

I have made mine up to 2 weeks in advance. I have always stored mine in a plastic container with wax paper separating each layer. I have never tried freezing before.
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%