This One Is A Doosey!!! Can It Be Done???

Decorating By suesweet Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm by therbug

suesweet Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 18

A customer placed an order for an anniversary cake. She wants the husband's and wife's initials (J&K) to stand up and lean diagonally into each other. She wants them to be about 8" in length. I've attached a model I created. So....what do you think? Can it be done? And, how much should I charge?

Please Help!!!
LL

17 replies
yummymummycakes Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 18

Does she want the initials made for the topper or are they to be made from cake. Urgh!!! Wishing you luck with this one.

The only thing I can suggest is if she wants the initials made from cake to pm Doug for help.

Calling Doug!!!!!!

Good luck with this, let us know what happens.

Cheryl

suesweet Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 18

C'mon, anybody else???? If anyone can help me, I know a CCer can.

Doug Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:26am
post #4 of 18

ands his vote to JayKe's great advice in the other thread

7yyrt Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 18

You cannot make those initials out of cake.

Period.

JanetBme Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 18

I think it would be fun to try. I'm sure you could do it- they might have to lean a little back more.

Maybe make the "stand" with shaped masonite boards. use a L bracket on the backside of the bottoms- bent in a little more so they are leaning back alot more than upright. Then put a block between the top of the boards and screw each into it. Make your cakes on shaped foamcore. Use pound cake- and cover it with fondant. I wouldn't use a filling unless it was buttecream. 8 inches is really not that tall- so it really wouldn't be that bad at all- that's like a two tiered cake. Deliver them flat and prop thm on the stand at the venue. Except for the top right arm of the K, the letters are bottom heavy anyway- so it should be fine.

7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 18

Well if you manage it, I'd like to see a picture! Perhaps I should have said 'I can not make this' - LOL !

FatAndHappy Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 18

What if you made them from rice crispies - really big, and put them on a cake! Still edible - but more stable?? icon_confused.gif

MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 18

I would think if you used a nice dense pound cake with no torting you could do it. Perhaps make a separate sheet cake with filling for serving.

Erika513x2 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 18

i'm not sure if she wants all cake of just something with the initials , but it she doesn't want cake why don't you just make it out of like royal icing or something . and if its cake then you might be able to just use a light cake like angel cake and dowel it million times into a board then stand them up against each other and getting the 2 board to hold against eachother is up to you b/c i'm lost lol
gl

tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 18

TO ME RICE CRIPIES IS THE WAY TO GO!...THAT LOOKS LIKE TROUBLE!

meldancer Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 18

Is that the only thing she wants? Could you make them out of cake, placing on foam core cut to the shape, cover in fondant and then lean against a small tiered cake inside. Just an idea.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

I think it would be fun to try. I'm sure you could do it- they might have to lean a little back more.

Maybe make the "stand" with shaped masonite boards. use a L bracket on the backside of the bottoms- bent in a little more so they are leaning back alot more than upright. Then put a block between the top of the boards and screw each into it. Make your cakes on shaped foamcore. Use pound cake- and cover it with fondant. I wouldn't use a filling unless it was buttecream. 8 inches is really not that tall- so it really wouldn't be that bad at all- that's like a two tiered cake. Deliver them flat and prop thm on the stand at the venue. Except for the top right arm of the K, the letters are bottom heavy anyway- so it should be fine.

This sounds like what I was thinking of. Something like Duff and his team of "engineers" would do. lol A bit of non-edible building before any cake is even baked. I think it's all in the supports and boards.

Good luck and don't forget to share whatever you decide to do.

tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

LOOK AT THE ANGLE OF THE CAKES...CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW THE CAKE IS GOING TO STAY IN THE BOARDS???

coffeechick Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 18

Styrofoam letters or rice crispies covered with fondant is the way to go. You can make sheet cakes to serve or you can make a couple of smaller cakes to match the design to place on the table.
Good luck.

AmandaLeigh Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 18

just a note- be careful with rice krispies...humidity is a killer. i found that crushing them first and using a bit more marshmallow helps. Pack it really tightly then freeze it before you cut it. It should be durable.

suesweet Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 18

So, here it is. Not my best cake, but it is what the customer asked for.
LL
LL

therbug Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 18

WOW you did it! I would have never even attempted it! Well looks good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%