Covering A Square Cake With Fondant..aine2 Style "take

Decorating By aine2 Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 2:23pm by MrsAB

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:31am
post #1 of 52

Okay...here we go again! icon_lol.gif This link isn't full of hiccups this time so I hope it was worth all the drama! I'm off to do what I should have been doing 2 hours ago! icon_wink.gif

" rel="nofollow">

51 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:58am
post #2 of 52

the video worked perfectly...
you make it seem so easy!
thanks so much for the tutorial!

and I love your accent icon_smile.gif

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:10am
post #3 of 52

Great tutorial. Thank you.
Love your accent too thumbs_up.gif

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:40am
post #4 of 52

You're so generous! Thankyou so much for sharing.

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:55am
post #5 of 52

You've done it again! Another fabulous video tutorial! thumbs_up.gif

I'll have to start telling people that I'm studying at the Aine2 school of sugarcraft! icon_lol.gif (actually I'm hoping to attend one of your workshops sometime - I'll have to time my next visit to see the family up there to fit in with it - I'll be in touch!)

Kelly

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:56am
post #6 of 52

This is wonderful of you to share your amazing talent with all of us. I am in awe of your work. (...and BTW, I, too, love your accent!) Thank you so very much.

sophie20033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophie20033 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:20am
post #7 of 52

Dear Aine2,

Thanks so much for that tutorial...a video tutorial is so much more effective than just a description. From that video I now see that it mustn't be my technique that i got wrong BUT the pettinice I use is too soft! Your fondant holds the shape so well but my pettinice is too "pliable" so that it starts to thin at the corners as if the weight of the fondant is pulling it down. I usually make my fondant 1/4 inch thick. Is there anyway to counteract this? i find that the pettinice is even more soft when i open a fresh pack of it as opposed to using extra "left overs". And it does droop a bit after a couple of hours, which makes my straight sides have a little bump at the bottom. Does that make any sense?

Would love to hear if anyone has this same problem and how they dealt with it.

Thanks again, Aine2!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:20am
post #8 of 52

Thanks I really enjoyed watching that!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

zuya15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zuya15 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:29am
post #9 of 52

Thanks that really helped me.

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:30am
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie20033

Dear Aine2,

Thanks so much for that tutorial...a video tutorial is so much more effective than just a description. From that video I now see that it mustn't be my technique that i got wrong BUT the pettinice I use is too soft! Your fondant holds the shape so well but my pettinice is too "pliable" so that it starts to thin at the corners as if the weight of the fondant is pulling it down. I usually make my fondant 1/4 inch thick. Is there anyway to counteract this? i find that the pettinice is even more soft when i open a fresh pack of it as opposed to using extra "left overs". And it does droop a bit after a couple of hours, which makes my straight sides have a little bump at the bottom. Does that make any sense?

Would love to hear if anyone has this same problem and how they dealt with it.

Thanks again, Aine2!

I can tell you that I have used Pettinice as it was sent to me from New Zealand especially! icon_lol.gif Yes, I did find it a bit more sticky than the brand I use but once it was kneaded for a few minutes I actually quite liked it. I could see that humidity would have a terrible effect on it though as it does with most fondant. Are you rolling your paste out too big perhaps and allowing such a weight from the excess to drag the paste off the top of your cake causing it to tear? Try covering your cake with a thinner layer of paste first...like an undercoat! Smooth it and trim it and then apply your next layer. I do this with wedding cakes...not birthdays. It doesn't have to be doorstep thickness....you will get a nice finish with a little double layer but it's entirely your choice. Beware of bubbles doing this too. Keep your paste close to the cake when laying it on. Don't throw it over like a duvet or you'll have bubbles everywhere.

I don't know if any of that helps you at all but I hope some of it does. icon_lol.gif

Kelly....I'd LOVE for you to visit from Ireland. I just had a visitor from there a couple of weeks ago. It was fabulous. You can see her on myspace! thumbs_up.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:44am
post #11 of 52

You've done it AGAIN ! Thank you SO much.... I think you have given me the inspiration to try fondabt on a square cake ! THANK YOU !!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:46am
post #12 of 52

Another great video. Love SEEING how to do things and love your accent. icon_smile.gif
Susie

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:23am
post #13 of 52

Great job on explaining how to do this. Now I just hope I can follow directions! icon_lol.gif

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:40am
post #14 of 52

Thanks a bunch I will be using this on friday...

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:47am
post #15 of 52

aine you rock !!! I could look at your videos all day and never get bored lol you make it look so easy that I keep looking for an excuse to try all your techniques. Thank you. It is so wonderful of you to sure your tips with us novice bakers.

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:51am
post #16 of 52

This video is sooooo helpful! As usual, you are just plain amazing and such a wonderful teacher. I'm such a fan!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:51am
post #17 of 52

Brilliant! Thank you for such a great tutorial. So much better than anything else I have ever read or seen!!

dods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dods Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:00pm
post #18 of 52

Aine2.. I am sure this tutorial is amazing but unfortunately I cannot access this link, as it shows site blocked ( I live in United Arab Emirates) icon_cry.gif

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:01pm
post #19 of 52

Thank you, thank you. It helps alot. Too bad we can't get all the knowledgeable helpful CC stars together for a appreciation dinner!!!!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:10pm
post #20 of 52

Another great video! It looks so easy when you do it. Thanks for sharing.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:15pm
post #21 of 52

Thank you so much for sharing this technique. You are an amazing teacher!

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:24pm
post #22 of 52

Thank your so much for your information....

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:26pm
post #23 of 52

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents. I keep all of them hoping to be able to use them soon. I also purchased your "girl" video. I love it. I keep looking at the bear hugs also. Your are so very very talented. icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:26pm
post #24 of 52

Lorraine-you are just adorable! Thank you for helping so many of us with your knowledge. I wish I had seen that a couple of weeks ago when I did my first square cakes. While mine turned out okay, I think I could have benefitted from your tutorial!

maggie_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie_14 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:31pm
post #25 of 52

Another wonderful video!!

You are so kind in sharing your knowledge and time with all of us here at CC. Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:37pm
post #26 of 52

Aine2

You know I'm a huge fan!

I'm dropping HUGE, BIG FAT HINTS to my husband about a trip to Scotland at some point.... and that perhaps I could take in a class or two whilst I'm there, LOL!

Suzanne x

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #27 of 52

Lorraine, thank you so much for your time and effort into making such a wonderful video! I can see that I have been rolling it too thin for square cakes!
I'm going to have to bake a square cake or two before my wedding cake that is due, to practice! I'm sure my coworkers and family won't mind. icon_smile.gif
Your voice is so musical and easy to listen to!!
Thank you, again!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 52

Thank you very much!! Great video!! thumbs_up.gif

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:03pm
post #29 of 52

You make it look so easy! I covered a square cake last week with ChocoPan fondant and had a devil of a time because the fondant was rolled out quite a bit larger than the cake. Talk about drooping at the corners!!! Next month I have a three tier square wedding cake order and now, with your help, I hope to have better success.

Have you tried to impression the fondant with one of the fancy rollers before putting it on the cake? I'm at a lose when it comes to matching the design when the roller only goes half way across the fondant. Any tips? Thanks so very much.

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:28pm
post #30 of 52

Thank you so much for the videos! You make it look so easy. Now that I have something to refer to, I have the courage to try it. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%