Way Out Of My Comfort Zone!!!

Business By shenninger Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm by SugarFrosted

shenninger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shenninger Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:19am
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to do a sheet cake for a church function to serve between 250 and 300 people. First, what size cake? Second, how do you price sheet cakes? I know they can get it cheaper from a bakery around here and they know that too.... they want me to make it because they have had cakes of mine before. I just don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

6 replies
shenninger Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:26am
post #2 of 7

bump

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:24am
post #3 of 7

You would have to do a few sheet cakes because even a double layered full sheet cake would only serve 192 and that would be extremely heavy. I would make 3 double layer half sheet cakes. Those are still heavy but a bit more manageable. A half sheet pan will hold two cake mixes and serve 48. Just make sure to use sturdy boards! Either wood boards or three cardboards taped together.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:55am
post #4 of 7

Hello Fellow Arkansan! I'm in Little Rock! Where are you? icon_smile.gif

How big is your oven? The biggest my oven will hold is a 12x18 (half sheet) and that will serve 54 (2x2) pieces. If you want to do layer cakes, a 2 layer (4" high) 12x18 will serve 108 (1x2x4) pieces. So you'd need 5 (270 servings) or 6 (324 servings) single-layer 12x18, or 3 (324 servings) 2-layer 12x18. Servings are 1x2x4.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 5:14am
post #5 of 7

HI I'm in arkansas too Nwa in Bella Vista I would do 1/2 sheet single layers much easier to transport. I f you wanted you could take them butt them up next to each other on foam core boards and icing them as 1 biggggggggggggggggggg cake.

shenninger Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 7

Do any of you know how much to charge for this size cake in our area???

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 7

For a single layer 12x18, currently I charge $50, but after Oct.1, it will be $60.
For a 2-layer 12x18, currently I charge $100, but after Oct.1, the charge will be $120.

Other people charge differently depending on location*, demand, skill level and experience. (*That was one reason I asked where you are.)

The rule of thumb for many people here on CC is to multiply your costs (everything...flour, sugar, electricity, water...all of it) x3.

1/3 covers your costs, 1/3 covers your labor/time, and the last 1/3 is your profit. For example: If you charge $30 for a 12x18, and it takes you 6 hours for each cake, you will not be making much for your time.

In my case, it takes me 2 hours or less to do a sheetcake (including any custom artwork), not counting making frosting, mixing colors, and baking.

Being really organized will give you a big advantage. Try to do as much as possible ahead of time. Personally, I set aside one day every week or two to make enough frosting to fill my frosting refrigerator, usually about 8 gallons total, in half gallon tubs. This saves me so much time when I am ready to work on a cake. (BTW, I use the all crisco recipe, I have NO problems with the NEW crisco.)

My schedule on regular orders is to bake the day before, then make sure all my colors are mixed for all the next day's cakes, then ice the cakes before I go to bed, and decorate a few hours before my client picks up the cake. But on a big order like yours, you might want to bake a couple of days ahead and ice the cakes and refrigerate, if you have room. Decorate the day before the event. Does the church have a BIG refrigerator you can use ?

I hope this helps...I have a (bad?) habit of giving more than asked for, and explaining too much. It probably is a result of being a very thorough ER nurse for many years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%