So How Big Is A Smash Cake?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 10:06pm by OhMyGoodies

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 13

So what sizes do you all use to make a smash cake for a baby? Do you do 6 in? It seems big to give a baby a whole six inch cake.... I'm going to be making two (for twins) soon and I was thinking maybe I'd do a 4 inch....what is customary? And what do you usually charge for it?

12 replies
danyellkepp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danyellkepp Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 13

i say 4" is perfect. All they're gonna do is smash it anyway.

My avatar is a smash cake but i got a little carried away with it. It weighed 8 pounds and was almost 13" tall.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 13

I do a 6-inch round. I like it on the bigger side just because it makes a bigger mess when the babies are digging into it. But I'm sure a 4-inch would work just as well too.

I don't charge for my cakes, so I'm not sure how much they'd go for.

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 13

If you have the wilton BIG cupcake pan you can akways fancy up 2 cupcakes. Its just for smashing and that is plenty big. HTH

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 13

What is the Wilton BIG cupcake pan? The flat one or is this like 3D - meaning it's just a really large cupcake or is it the flat sheetcake in the shape of a cupcake pan?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 13

I make mine somewhere between 4 to 6" in size ... just enough for the baby to get into and make a real mess ... everyone has to have pictures of that icon_biggrin.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 13

I do a 6 in. (1 layer only) just because that is what I have. I would do a 4 in if I had the pan.

nautkl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nautkl1 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 13

I made 2 M & M's for my friend's twins (Megan and Matthew). See my photo album. I used the ball cake and each got one 1/2 of the ball. They fit perfectly on their high chair tray. Of course they did not eat the whole thing - it was big enough for them to dive right in! icon_biggrin.gif

I think 4 or 6 x 2" would be plenty big.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 13

For my smash cakes that accompany the larger cakes I use either a 4" or 5" single layer.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #10 of 13

I usually do a 4", but if I have enough extra batter to do a 5" or 6", then I'll do that. Only one layer, though. I think 4" is plenty big, though, especially if you're not charging for it. icon_smile.gif

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 13

I have only did 1 and I used a 6" pan but did not fill the pan all the way to the top. It was probably about 1-1/2" and I did not put in a filling. I didn't charge for it since I actually used some batter from the sheet cake it went with so it didn't cost me anything more than my labor.

HTH
LL

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 13

Please excuse the "dumb" question, but what is a "smash cake"...just a little one for the baby to dive into? I've heard the expression before on this site, and have never known...

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 13

Yes hun a smash cake is the cake the baby/child would get on their highchair to smash icon_biggrin.gif

My daughter's 1st birthday we didn't have a smash cake but My sister gave her a really big piece and a large scoop of chocolate ice cream and it was EVERYWHERE! Her highchair had to go outside to be hosed off lol.

I'd say 4" although I've never made one myself.

Also I think the BIG cupcake pan that was mentioned was meant as the JUMBO MUFFIN PAN. Wilton has one as well as you can find them in Walmart for alot less. I paid I think $7.~ for mine and the Wilton one was almost $12.~ I think.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%