Homemade Pan Grease Stuff...

Decorating By Jennz818 Updated 22 Jul 2005 , 2:56pm by Sugar

Jennz818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennz818 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 4:08am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone,
Quick question...I need to make a bunch of cakes tomorrow and thought to save myself some time I would whip up a batch of the pan grease (flour, oil and crisco). Since greasing my pans seems to put me over the edge.
I left it in my kitchenaid for about 4-5 minutes and it looks like cake batter...does this seem right?
Thanks a ton!!!
Jennz

12 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 4:12am
post #2 of 13

are you using equal parts of each? I just mixed some up myself tonight and I think because it is warmer it looks like that. I didn't remember it looking like that, however it has been awhile since I made some. However mine looked like thin cake batter. I used it tonight and it still works the same, my guess is it just looks softer because of the heat and humidity here. Hope this eases your mind.

Leily

Jennz818 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 13

Leily,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I used a stick of crisco, a cup of oil and a cup of flour. I guess I was expecting it to be much thicker like a crisco consistency.
I'll try it out.
Thanks again,
Jenn

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 13

It'll be pretty thick Jennz... I use 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of shortening and 3/4 cup of oil.. I've hear of others that use equal parts of each .. I don't really think it matters... I'm sure it would work either way.. Just store it in an air tight container... it's great and I don't use anything else! Good luck!

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 13

I got lazy and bought the Pam with flour. It works like a charm. I'll never go back. It's just too darn easy!

Jennz818 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 13

Sugar,
I had bought the Bakers Joy and I seemed to go through the can really fast. And when I sprayed it I felt like I was choking on flour fumes...it was awful. Even tho I put the pan over the sink it still seemed to get everywhere.
Jenn

Sugar Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 13

I don't really have that trouble with the Pam. But I'm not doing this professionally and I'm making small cakes too. So it might be different for other people.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 13

I find Pam sprays make a crusty edge on my cakes, so I stopped using it for that reason .. when discussing the problem I had with the edges crusting, the instructor in a cake decorating class I took at the local university asked me if I was using a cooking spray. I told her I was and she said that was my problem... when I stopped using it, I no longer got the crusty edges on my cakes... so did the shortening/flour thing for ages until I tried the Wilton cake release.. then I read on here where others were making their own cake release .. so I tried it and love it... no more expensive cake release for me!! lol... it's much cheaper to make your own and it's not hard at all to apply .. I keep mine in one of those cheap Glad/Ziploc plastic bowls... I have a 2 inch pastry brush that use only for coating my cake pans... it takes about 15-20 seconds to coat the pan .. really easy to do icon_biggrin.gif

amegamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amegamom Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 13

Just want to double check, you don't have to refrigerate this stuff do you?

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 13

The Wilton teacher I had gave us this one:

Equal parts of Crisco, flour and Oil

I just mix mine up with a rubber spatula. And its sort of runny.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 13

You dont have to put it in the frige but i do. The advantage of the frige is, it keeps it from seperating so you dont have to remix it.

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 13

I don't put oil in mine. Just equal parts Crisco and flour.

Sugar Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 13

I'll keep that in mind with the edges, thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%