Is Your Spouse Jealous Of Your Cakes?

Decorating By tyty Updated 4 Nov 2006 , 12:34pm by emnjakesmom

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 24

Sunday morning I was told by my spouse that it was either my cakes or him!

He calmed down by Monday and everything is fine. Every few weeks I get these comments about cake baking and decorating like," it must me more important than your husband".

23 replies
KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 24

I've gotten some snippy comments here and there lately . . . mostly because I need to manage my time better. My boyfriend travels A LOT for business . . . he's coming home tomorrow after being gone 36 days straight . . . and when he gets back he likes to have time together. Sometimes I forget to take that into account and I'll commit to baking items for a party or whatnot . . . and it ends up hurting his feelings. I just have to remember to include him more, because he actually does like getting in the kitchen with me . . . or make time for baking when he isn't home.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 24

I'm very blessed. My husband doesn't care. Of course he knows if he was to say something like that. Not only would I fling cake at him. I would throw out all of his painting stuff. Yeah, I'm just mean like that. icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 24

First of all, there is no comparisson between a cake and a human being.
So why would he even go there !! icon_rolleyes.gif

No, my husband is not jealous because he knows that I did not marry a cake, but a "man". A cake and a human "man" are not even in the same category, so it just don't make sense. Besides when I make cakes it's usually for him to eat
. icon_smile.gifI think your DH needs therapy....cake therapy. icon_biggrin.gif

tyty Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 24

That's what I said to him, why would he even want to compare himself to a cake.

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 24

I agree prettycake. I havent been decorating cakes for very long but couldnt see my husband saying something like that. He would love for me to do something with my time so he can do something with his. He is really into cars and loves to play around with his car whenever he gets the chance. I am sorry that your husband feels that way. Maybe if you bug him for like a day he will be happy.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 24

Sadly, yes....my ex-husband was so jealous of baking that is was a big problem. Anytime I was working on a cake - even a paying cake - he would give me grief and not watch the kids.....it was definitely jealousy.

How funny that you should phrase it like that because I always assumed he was just being an a$$ icon_lol.gif but jealous is more like it. If I baked anything for anyone else - including my family icon_confused.gif or to give to people as a thank you for doing something for us - it didn't matter. He hated it and we would always end up fighting. My God, he would ask me to make hime this huge cheesecake and it would go bad because it was too big for him to eat and STILL I wasn't 'allowed' to send some over to the neighbors. It was a weird control thing....

I finally realized that anything that took my attention away from him was a problem...I hope this is just a phase because not to be dramatic or anything but in my case, the cake-thing turned out to be the straw that broke the camels back. icon_surprised.gif

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 24

Put him to work so he can be spending time with you! Those darn tips always need washing as do bowls, pans, spoons, etc. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I've seen some posts here where hubbies help carve, level, and can even get frosting nice and smooth! Who knows- maybe he'd love it too! (Or, you could always buy him some golf clubs.)

finnox Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 24

I agree my husband loves to get into the kitchen and help mix stuff he loves anything that has to do with me and so if im cooking he wants to be cooking to and if im watching tv no matter what it is he is right there with me. But I cant say the same I can find much better things to do with my time then sit in the garage and watch him play with his car.

vpaz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpaz24 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 24

I guess I am lucky. My DH is very supportive of this addiction of mine. He's happy as long as he gets samples. =o)

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:01pm
post #11 of 24

My honey loves it, he is in there helping me. Does it all, his drop flowers are alot better than mine. He dosen't like baking but makes great icing and loves taste testing! Try and get your husband more involved or do it when he is asleep or try and spend a little more time with him before you get into a new project.

tyty Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 24

Most of the time I spend working on cakes he's not home because he works in the eve and on weekends. By the time he gets home I am finishing a project.
Maybe I will try to get him involved, maybe that will help. Thanks for your comments.

finnox Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 24

I hope everything turns out alright for you tyty.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 24

My husband doesn't dare say anything. icon_twisted.gif He doesn't want to be told he can't hunt, fish, snowmobile, play on his dump truck or his dad's bulldozer, play paintball, work on cars with his friends and I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of right now. icon_lol.gif
If I don't get my toys he doesn't get his. icon_wink.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 24

I guess I lucked out lol My husband has been with me for 10 years thru tons of stuff. My first business want was a cake business that changed when people shot that dream down, then onto eBay business, that was shot down by me lol.... Now back to cake decorating! He loves it! He makes the butter cream icing for me and is begging me to teach him the decorating techniques. He even asked me if we could afford for him to attend the classes with me! So I'm hoping when I go to sign up it's take a friend for free month lol. It's not that expencive anyway so we both could do it but would be better if I got him in for free lol.

Maybe offer him the chance to help you with them he may like it. James loves!!!!!!!!! to help me. He has his set jobs right now they only include the icing making, the photo taking, the packaging, and the clean up lol. Mainly because I have a bad back and can't stand for too long so I take on the total decorating because I can do it sitting at the table and the cake making part doesn't take too long. But man do those dishes take forever! lol. But he's a great big help and he manages to help with our daughter and nephews at the same time and still get it done for me. He's excellent!

When my ex-bestfriend backed out on our friendship and our business I took her name off everything and put James' on in place and he was so touched he teared up and smiled and then attacked with hugs and smooches lol.

Maybe offer him the chance to help you with it it might prove that's what he wants he can spend time with you, help you, and learn a new hobby all at the same time icon_smile.gif

Becky

finnox Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 24

Becky thats so sweet you have a great husband and to hear how he got so touched there should be more men out there like that. Anyways yeah micheals by my house has the classes for half off 12.50 not bad and if you buy a caddy the class is free. Anyways if your husband is wanting to spend more time with you have him help out.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 11:08pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

My husband doesn't dare say anything. icon_twisted.gif He doesn't want to be told he can't hunt, fish, snowmobile, play on his dump truck or his dad's bulldozer, play paintball, work on cars with his friends and I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of right now. icon_lol.gif
If I don't get my toys he doesn't get his. icon_wink.gif

You are my hero icon_smile.gif

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 11:10pm
post #18 of 24

Does your DH have a hobby?

Sounds like he's bored.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 11:29pm
post #19 of 24

My husband and I compromise on a lot of things. We farm--together. So I spend a lot of time in the tractor and combine and truck doing things for him. I also am pretty lenient when he says he wants to go out with the guys or wants to have the guys over to watch football or something. It;s not like he needs my permission, but I just don't balk and complain about how he wants to spend his spare time (although after working together some days, it's a good thing to be apart!), so he it turn doesn't complain about my addictions (stamping and cakes). He's really supportive and usually if he's having the guys over will ask if I have time to make a cake for them. icon_biggrin.gif Every cake I make gets inspected by him and the kids and I get lots of compliments and a reminder to take pictures. Then after they've buttered me up, I get asked for the leftover scraps and frosting! He's been pushing hard for me to be brave enough to start a business of my own--which I finally broke down and got the papers to do. We have another lady in town who is awesome and I have been afraid of not getting enough business becuase of her, but that hasn't stopped him from telling everyone he meets to call if they have a special occasion. I have to admit, there are days I'd love to kill him icon_mad.gif , but all in all, I got very lucky when I found him! icon_wink.gif

kittysparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittysparkle Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 24

This is a really sore subject with me. I'm SO jealous of the lady's who have the wonderful husbands. Mine was and now is saying that cakes take priority over him. I ask him if he wants to help or watch a movie with me while I work. But if I'm not up his a## he isn't having it. I've tried teaching him when I don't have anything due but nothing is working. The money I make doing cakes and babysitting gets us from pay check to pay check. I don't think he has a right to complain. He has his motorcycles. Anyways I guess what I'm saying is that I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one in this boat.

McDuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McDuff Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:11am
post #21 of 24

Ok ladies I have to step into this one. My sweetheart enjoys everything I make. I mainly make pastries and have made like three cakes but I bake constantly and I very often make things to send into work with her. The only thing I hear is from all the ladies she works with who always make comments about how they wished their husbands could bake. My chef skills are better then my baking skills and when she has the girls over for a pool party I throw out trays of horrdurves and pastries the fancier the better. I get asked to make cakes and pastries all of the time from her girl friends etc....but I turn the requests down. Only because I feel like if I were to bake for money then I would loose or not be able to control the freedom and creativity I want to express in what I am doing. So from a DH's point of view...she supports me 100% along with her friends.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:16am
post #22 of 24

kitty, husbands like that are called ex-husbands!LOL, just joshing. I had a husband like that and made him my ex=. My honey and I both have an ex- so I guess that is why we try harder with each other. We learned from our mistakes and get along really well. We share everything. Hugs to you and hope your honey's lighten up.

tyty Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:39am
post #23 of 24

I'll give it a try, just might work.

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:34pm
post #24 of 24

Aww, McDuff- you da man! No wonder your sweetie loves everything you make- you sound like such a great and supportive guy! My DH and kids are sooo supportive of me and I support them in everything they do. I feel very blessed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%