1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 1/4 cups cake flour (I use Swan)
2 cups sugar

SYRUP
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1/8 cup cognac

Cream the butter and cream cheese until creamy, add the sugar slowly and keep beating. Add the eggs one by one beating after each addition. Mix the evaporated milk and the vanilla extract.

To the creamed mixture, add by thirds, the flour and the milk, alternating and beginning and ending with the flour.

Bake in a greased and floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into cake.

In a pan, boil the water and the sugar for 15 minutes, let cool and add the cognac. Pour the cake when the cake has cooled.

Source: boricua.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Butter Pecan Cake

6 oz. white chocolate, chopped (I used Baker's White Choc.)
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups sifted cake flour

Place chocolate in a bowl. Pour boiling water over chocolate; stir until smooth. Set aside, and let cool.

Grease three 9-inch round cake pans; line with wax paper. Grease and flour wax paper set aside.

Beat butter at med. speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in white chocolate mixture and vanilla.

Combine buttermilk and soda. Add flour to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Mix at low speed after each addition until blended.

Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 mins., and cool completely on wire racks.

Frost with Butter Pecan frosting.
BUTTER PECAN FROSTING
2 tbs. unsalted butter, softened
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 box (16oz) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a skillet, add pecans and cook over med. heat 10 minutes stirring constantly until pecans are toasted. Set aside and let cool completely.

In bowl cream 1/2 cup butter till creamy, add cream cheeses, continue beating. Add sifted sugar. Fold in cooled pecans and add vanilla extract.

Note: This recipe is for 9-inch cake layers. I had leftover frosting because my cake was 8-inches.

Butter Pecan Frosting Recipe from: Christmas with Southern Living, 1996

Note: I baked it in a 8x3 pan at 325 degrees for 50 - 55 minutes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the ONLY Yellow Cake recipe I use:

Great American Cakes
by Barbara Kafka
Gourmet December 1987

Yellow Cake Layers
This is probably America's favorite layer for any kind of cake; it is what the cake-mix people try to imitate and never get right.

Makes two 8-inch layers

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter, add sugar gradually, beating, and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture and the milk alternately in batches, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, add the vanilla, and beat the batter until it is smooth.

Divide the batter between 2 lightly greased and floured 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans, smoothing the top, rap each pan on a hard surface twice to expel any air bubbles.

Bake the layers in the middle of a preheated 350-degree F oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean and the layers pull away slightly from the sides of the pans. Let the layers cool in the pans on a rack for 8 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge of each pan, and invert the layers onto the racks. Let the layers cool completely.

This recipe is very good and most important easy. It's the only Cheesecake my husband will eat. Here it is:

Cheesecake

4 pkgs. cream cheese (8 oz. each), softened and cubed
6 large eggs
3 Tbs. flour
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract (or vanilla extract, if desired)
*Graham cracker crust for 10-inch springform pan, or a ready-made 9" graham cracker pie shell

In blender, blend the eggs, then add the cubed cream cheese. Add sugar, whipping cream, and extract. Blend till smooth. Pour in springform pan or pie shell. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until set (insert knife to see if it comes out clean). Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack to room temperature. Then, Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
Enjoy!!

*Note: The Graham cracker crust can be made by: melting 1/2 stick (1/4 c.) butter or margarine, then adding 1 cup graham cracker crumbs. Mix to form a paste and press on sides and bottom of springform pan.

If using the ready-made 9-inch graham cracker pie shell, you will have extra cheesecake batter left over. You can make cupcakes.

Naty icon_smile.gif

34 replies
SweetCreations Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 5:39am
post #2 of

Omg Naty,
You are so SWEET To Share your recipes!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks So much! I bet they are all just to die for.. it was making me hungry just reading them.
Have a Great night icon_lol.gif
~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 5:39am
post #3 of

MMMM I'll have to try a few of those!! Thanks for posting them~

cakemommy Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 6:12am
post #4 of

My gosh! Looks like I'm going to be making a cheese cake this weekend!

Amy

mommymarilyn Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:54pm
post #5 of

Oh my gosh! The butter pecan sounds WONDERFUL! Can't wait to try it out! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

melissablack Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:58pm
post #6 of

I'm going to try that yellow cake next time! I've been using the Wilton recipe, which people seem to like well enough, but I find it so 'floury' tasting.

citrusgirl Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 8:49pm
post #7 of

Naty,

Thanks for sharing. I have one question with the yellow cake:

Is the recipe calling for granular or icing sugar.

Does anyone know if this have an effect on the consistency of the cake?

Thank you all.

citrusgirl.

cakegal Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 9:43pm
post #8 of

Thanks soooo much for posting these..
I'm going to give the yellow cake a try.... That's our favorite here at my house...
Hey Naty....Would you happen to have a good White Cake recipe for us to try???
Thanks again...You're a sweetheart.
Happy baking,
cakegal

Cakemaster26 Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 2:03am
post #9 of

Thanks Naty for the recipes. will try them out sometime soon.

Naty Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 2:10am

Mommymarilyn,
I assure you that the butter pecan frosting is to die for. I have made it several times and the last time I toasted the pecans a little longer in the butter. Well, luckily or should I really say unfortunately, I had too much frosting left over. So, in the fridge the leftover frosting went (thinking I could use it for another cake). The frosting lasted only 2 days! I kept taking bites out of it with a spoon. It is really delicious the butter pecan flavor with the cream cheese. Please let me know how you like it.
Regards from Miami, Naty

briansbaker Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 2:29am

Butter Pecan..mmmmmmm.. Dang it I have 3 cakes to make for others this weekend.. Maybe I can get this one made during next week.. Can't wait!

Naty Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 2:33am

To melissablack, citrusgirl, cakegal, and cakemommy,
Thank you all for commenting on my recipes! Let me give you a little story about the only yellow cake recipe I use. I have made many, many yellow cake recipes from Emeril, Toba, Martha, to those in popular baking books such as Sweet Creations, Cake Bible, Baking911, Wilton, etc. Well, you get the picture. A yellow cake recipe came out and there I was trying it out. I always looked for a moist buttery yellow cake, like the boxed ones. Why not just used boxed cakes, well, it's just not "me" - I feel like I'm cheating or something. I always use scratch icing and fillings and not doing the cake scratch, it just doesn't feel right (for me). Anyway, not to bore you with this any longer (sorry I'm in the mood to write icon_rolleyes.gif), I tried them all, I do my research until I get what is "perfect" for me. This is the cake, it does taste like a boxed cake as far as it being fluffy, it's not too sweet but has a nice crumb. This recipe is from Gourmet Magazine. I have also tried a Cocoa Cake and a Chocolate Genoise Cake with chocolate mousse covered with chocolate ganache that is to die for, also from Gourmet. You can go to their site, they have wonderful cake recipes. I have yet to make a cake I haven't liked.
I would appreciate if you guys do give me your feedback, good or bad. There is always room for improvement; no recipe is written in stone.
Have a wonderful night and happy baking!!
Regards from Miami,
Naty

To Citrusgirl - the sugar I use is granulated sugar, the regular table sugar. I don't know how the recipe would work with confectioners sugar because I have never tried it.

To Cakegal - Sorry but I don't do white cakes. I guess you can substitute the whole eggs for whites and maybe add one more. I'm not sure. I have never been too fond of white cakes, to me they don't taste like anything (yes it's a mental thing-----for me the "yellow" make it more flavorful and buttery - I'm very visual).

To Cakemommy - This cheesecake recipe is great and especially easy. I'm not too fond of some cheesecakes that have a tang due to sour cream. Please, let me know how it turns out and if you like it.

famousamous Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 3:43am

The cheesecake recipesounds good. I think I might try it this weekend. Do you think lemon extract would be good?

Thanks for posting your recipes!

ntertayneme Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 3:49am

I'm salivating now ... those recipes all sound yummy!

2cakes Posted 23 Jul 2005 , 4:28am

Naty, Thank you so very much, that was so kind of you to post the recipes on the forum. I will soon try them all, cause I can always use new recipes you never have enough of them. icon_smile.gif

StephanieFL Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 3:07am

Hello Naty,

I'm here in Miami too! icon_smile.gif

Can you tell me how the yellow cake cuts? Does it cut neatly?
I've been testing out some recipes and recently tried the golden butter cake from the WBH. Have you tried that one or Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake?

I'm curious how the recipe you posted compares to those. I've been wasting so much $ and time on ingredients and am literally just throwing away cake!

cakegal Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 2:06pm

I hear ya Stephanie...
Yellow cake is a favorite here at my house...
I was to a wedding once and they had White cake... I've never tasted a white cake so delicious in my life before or since.... I've been hunting down a recipe that would come close...but I haven't found it yet..... and I don't know the person who made that white cake many years ago now.. don't even know if she's still living...
Oh, well, the search is still on...
Happy baking,
cakegal

Naty Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 8:57pm

Hi Stephanie and welcome!

I have made the yellow cake from Sylvia and it is very good. I tried her recipe when I was in search of the wannabe vanilla rum cake (you know which one I' m refering to; since you are also from Miami). Anyway Sylvia's cake is very good with the sugar syrup, but since I found a recipe I like better for the vanilla-rum version, I don't use her recipe anymore. Since I'm always trying new recipes, I stick to one until I find another one I like better, then move on.

As far as the yellow cake recipe I posted from Gourmet, well I think it's the best one out there. It's just like the DH butter cake. It cuts fine and when I do this cake, I don't use the syrup, just fill it and frost it.

Let me know how it turns out.

Naty icon_smile.gif

pe Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 11:24pm

Could you please tell me how you make the vanilla rum cake you refered to. I am not in Miami and it sounds interesting!

cakegal Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 3:22pm

I have a question about scratch cakes....
OK.. take the yellow cake..(I will probably bake this one as yellow cakes are my family's favorite cake)...anyways... when making it for a 14" x2" cake pan.... how much do you have to make to be enough for this size pan????? etc...
TIA
cakegal

Naty Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 5:52pm

Cakegal, this is a big pan you are talking about. I would guess triple the recipe? The yellow cake recipe I use is enough for a 8 x 3 pan. I double it when I use a 10 x 3. So, I would think triple it. Is better to have more than not enough. If you do have leftover batter, pour it into muffin tins.
Let me know how it turns out.

Naty

citrusgirl Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:43pm

Naty,

I made the yellow cake this weekend, it was delicious !! I tried it using confectioners sugar and a separate one with granular. They both tasted delicious except the crumb of the one I made with confectioners sugar was more compact. I topped them off with the icing from PolishMommy that was recently and mmm, mmm, mmm.

On your post you mentioned you played around with many cakes before you really find one you really like. My question is, when you tweak ( I hope I got spelling right) your cake to your liking, what are the first three things you would troubleshoot with or change and why?

Thanks again for sharing.
citrusgirl.

Naty Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 1:24am

Citrusgirl, I am so glad you liked the cake!!! I have yet to find a cake from Gourmet Magazine or Gourmet.com that I have not liked. The carrot cake (which I also posted) from them is out of this world.
About your question, I never ever tweak a cake recipe b/c its measurements and just anything that you bake has to be so precise with the ingredients and measurements, besides I did it once and it was a disaster.

I do look for a couple of things that have to catch my eye for example when I select a recipe to try. First, for a yellow cake, for me it has to have about 1 c. butter. Recipes that are 1/2 cup of 2/3 just don't taste buttery enough for me. The flour, well I prefer those that are made with cake flour b/c the crumb is more tender; and that the recipe uses less than 3 c. otherwise the cake is heavy. Also, it has to call for milk, which I use whole milk, this also tenderizes the cake. Too many eggs can make a cake more compact like a pound cake. I use large eggs. The vanilla of course, real vanilla extract - no imitation. All the ingredients at room temp. and the dry ingredients sifted twice before measuring. Also, no matter what recipe, I fold in the dry ingredients by hand not with the mixer. The oven 325 for me always ( I use 3 inch deep pans). I have done a lot of reading here and there where I have learned these tricks, as well as by trial and error. By no means are these the ones everyone has to use, but these are the ones that work for me. I am not a professional baker, I wish I was, but just tips from someone that has been baking cakes for over 20 years. I hope these have helped you some. If some of these are not part of the recipe, I just don't even consider making it. It all depends on what you are doing. For pound cake, cheesecake, flan, etc. I have different criteria I go by.
I hope I have not confused you. I tend to ramble on. icon_rolleyes.gif Anyway, if I can help with anything else just let me know.
Enjoy your cake!!!!
Naty

citrusgirl Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 3:24pm

Naty,

Thank you for that useful information. I relatively new to baking and decorating so I pick up little info here and there cauz some time ago I was trying to tweak a white cake from this forum that I liked to yellow but it was a disaster.

I was trying to find that carrot cake you are talking about but couldn't, I remember you saying under the spanish section right? I'll try one more time to see if I can find it.

Thank you again,
citrusgirl

TinaRe Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 3:37pm

Great looking recipes! I will certainly have to try them! DH doesn't like 'pie' types of desserts but i think he'll like the cheesecake!! Thanks so much for posting these! It will make things a bit easier on me in the future! You are so nice.

twindees Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 5:59pm

All I can say is THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.I can't wait to try them ALLLLLLLLL icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Baking
Twin Dees

sweetbaker Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 8:28pm

Thanks for sharing!

Naty Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 10:24pm

Citrusgirl, here's the carrot cake recipe:

Carrot Cake with Maple Icing
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups canola oil
4 large eggs
3 cups grated peeled carrots
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger*
Icing
10 ounces cream cheese (such as Philadelphia), room temperature
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

12 walnut halves (for garnish)

For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper. Butter and flour paper; tap out excess flour. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend. Whisk sugar and oil in large bowl until well blended. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in carrots, walnuts and ginger. Divide batter between prepared pans.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool cakes in pans 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks. Peel off waxed paper; cool cakes completely.

For icing: Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until well blended. Beat in maple syrup. Chill until just firm enough to spread, 30 minutes.

Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread with 3/4 cup icing. Top with second layer. Spread remaining icing over entire cake. Arrange walnut halves around top edge. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.)

Makes 12 servings.

* I do not use the ginger, but add 1/2 cup raisins to the batter instead.

This recipe is from Bon Appétit Magazine, published September 1999

Enjoy,
Naty

tripletmom Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 2:49am

Naty,

I have been trying to find scratch recipes that actually work for me. I just tried to make your yellow cake and I do believe it's going to be a hit! The house smells wonderful at this moment as I wait for it to cool. From what i saw though it looks like a very light textured cake. All of my past yellow cakes have been very heavy and this one, excuse the pun, takes the cake!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm really going to push the envelope and actually try a meringue buttercream on it. Something tells me this could be very bad, in a very good way of course!

smediagirl Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 3:39am

OK I tried the yellow cake twice and both times stuck to bottom and ripped, so mad. Is the spray butter not good, I have used it on everything in the past an it has been fine, do I really need to flour and butter the pan?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%