Just Got A Call From Bride Wanting Writing On Sides Of Cake.

Business By countrycakes Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 12:05pm by countrycakes

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 23

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif I am delighted that I just got a call from a potential bride....she is getting married in October 07........and has seen a cake on the internet with words on the sides of the cake! icon_surprised.gif Oh, boy........she is wondering can I do this for her cake? The song she is wanting the words to is the one by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill...'You're My Best Friend'.
This sounds like it could be complicated........she understands if I CAN NOT do it....but any ideas?! I don't think the entire song...maybe the chorus......we will see! icon_confused.gif

She is going to be calling me back later in the month to schedule a meeting with me....guess I could practice it and if I can not do it, I can not do the writing....she was just wanting something different.....yeah, that's different! icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif I gave her my base price for wedding cake slices......and also told her other important info, and that we would talk more when we had our consultation.

How would you charge for that?!

22 replies
kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 23

I've never done it myself, but I guess it just depends on how steady your hand is. If you're doing fondant, I would think it would be easier than on BC.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help!

moodswinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moodswinger Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 23

Hi, I just saw a cake on here the other day that had writing on the side! It was beautiful! You'll do great! Just do the chorus, I would say... I would charge per word or letter. That way, she chooses how many words will go on it. When there is a charge, per something, they will usually be sensible about the amount, rather than you saying how many you are willing to do, ya know? I don't know how much though, maybe .25-.50 per letter??? Hope this helps!!!!!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 23

Here's the link to Rebecca Sutterby's video on how to do lettering on the cake.
http://www.49abcnews.com/news/2007/jul/10/word_appeal_sutterby_shows_how_write_appetizing_me/

the link to her post: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4065183-.html

HTH

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 23

you can print the words out then use the pin prick method then trace over it with RI or BC. Heres some good lyrics:
Oh we just get closer
I fall in love all over
Everytime I look at you
And I dont know where Id be
Without you here with me
Life with you makes perfect sense
Youre my best friend

countrycakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 23

icon_smile.gif Thanks for the input.....she wants buttercream........we will see. thumbs_up.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 23
manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 23

katskakes you already added my sugestion...great minds think alike i guess lol. I have not had a chance to do this yet but think it is so great so good luck!

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 23

You could possibly do RI transfers (or chocolate). Just print the words out in the size and font you want, then trace over them. When dry, add to cake. I have never done this myself, but it might work.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 23

I've done 3...but only on fondant icing by hand with vodka/colouring.

Buttercream would be a REAL challenge! icon_eek.gif Here's a few cakes I have saved that are lyrics/words around the tiers done in buttercream:

(Sorry, I saved these online and don't know the bakers to credit them. Please let me know if you do and I'll add the credit in here!!)
LL
LL

ckiecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckiecrumb Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 23

I usually find a nice font on the computer and then print out what I want it to say and then cover it with parchment or wax paper (Or laminate it which I have done for things I will use again.. Like numbers or popular phrases) and then using Royal I trace the letters and then once I am finished with the cake I just glue them on where I want them to go.. I always write it twice just in case of breakage! Although you can repair any that break with Royal and you can't even see it!

Cheating I know.. But I get nervous when I go to write on the cake.. LOL I'm always worried about running out of space or making one letter higher or lower than another or bigger or smaller than the rest!

Good Luck!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 23

the royal icing would be great for square cakes....but what about round ones?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 23

use a tilting turntable and if you dont have one prop up the turntable that you have.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 23

I had a bride bring me this from the Simon Lee Bakery in Pflugerville, Texas. I think she told me they were charging $1100 for it as pictured (no idea how much per serving, but I'm guessing at least $4.00 - $5.00). Looks like it's covered in fondant and then airbrushed with luster dust.
LL

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 23

Actually, I did the RI on buttercream and it worked out REALLY well. The BC turned the RI soft so no one was any the wiser! And, the part that I'm impressed with is that it was all in GREEK! My son was confirmed over the summer and my very religious sister came up with most of the decorative ideas for me to carry out. She found his scripture and thought it would be neat if I put it on a cake for him, in the original greek! I was skeptical, since I don't read, speak, or understand greek but I made it happen! icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 23

Or you can print out what you want in reverse, pipe over it with RI, and use it like a rubber stamp in the icing. Not my idea, don't remember where I heard/saw about that.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:21pm
post #17 of 23

I just wrote on the side of my Hello Kitty cake and it really wasn't so bad. I actually thought it was a little easier than writing on the top of a cake.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:26pm
post #18 of 23

That would be my cake from hell! icon_cry.gif

I do not do writing, never have been able to.

I'm afraid I'd be offering edible images or turning it down! But then, you'd have to understand just how much I stress over having to write Happy Birthday!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #19 of 23

i did a few of those, they really were not bad at all....i did buttercream on buttercream,

it was good to have a couple of bags, because with all that writing it tended to get hot in your hand...you can lay one down and start with the other one.

n_manges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n_manges Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:36am
post #20 of 23

My sister in-law wants one just like it, but she wants every guest name on it. So far there are 300 guest. I'm not sure I can do it
LL

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:42am
post #21 of 23

OMG!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:05am
post #22 of 23

You could use sugarveil... print the lyrics out in the font you like... trace them using sugarveil and just pick them up and place on the cake... It's just like royal except it's flexible... JMO..

countrycakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:05pm
post #23 of 23

icon_smile.gif I told the bride that I would practice doing this with my dummy cakes......and if I can not do it well enough to satisfy ME icon_biggrin.gif , then I will not be able to do it..she was very understanding. She said she is just looking for something 'different' and this is definitely different! icon_eek.gif

I will be practicing next week...will let you know what happens. icon_smile.gif THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR IDEAS AND SUPPORT! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%