Oprah, Dr Oz And Crisco

Decorating By doleta Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 12:55am by Jenc95

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 91

Did anyone else see Oprah yesterday?
I was blown away by the liver Dr Oz showed that was bleached out from eating hydrogenated oil (like Crisco).
He called it a fatty liver.
I'm a nurse so I should know better, but....
I had no idea that it would make a liver look like that! icon_eek.gif
I'm swearing off frosting tapedshut.gif
Except for a tiny taste. icon_razz.gif
Yuck!
No wonder I'm getting FAT!

90 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 91

I have seen this before. That is why I use butter because your body knows how to process butter.
There is a email going around about putting margarine or Crisco outside. See how many bugs go to it.

I try to cut back on Hydrogenated oil and High Fructose corn syrup. Another one is Enriched flour.

cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 91

I did the experiment with Crisco, margarine, and butter in elementary school, and true enough, there were bugs in the butter and none in the crisco and margarine. I've never used it since! (We also did the same experiment with water, but I can't remember what kinds we used ie. filtered, RO, spring)

I make SMBC all the time now. Sure it takes a lot longer, but it's totally worth the taste and it's better for your body.

saraott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraott Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 91

Oh my gosh. I am horrified and disgusted. icon_smile.gif I'm done with shortening now, even if the bugs are going to share my butter with me. And I also have a stupid question: what is SMBC? Some sort of butter cream?

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 91

I saw the show yesterday, too, and I really like Dr. Oz and the information he provides.......but, here is my take on it. I think we all know that most cake is made from REALLY BAD stuff. REALLY bad for you but it tastes REALLY good. I don't know that there is a way to make a really terrific, great looking cake without somehow using Crisco, butter, powdered sugar, regular sugar, corn syrup.....you get the picture. We all know it's possible to make a cake without this stuff but the reality is it's part of making a cake.

I have come to the conclusion that it's really okay to use this stuff, just don't eat it all the time!! People that buy cakes from us are buying them for a very special occasion and I believe that it's okay to eat ALL THINGS in moderation. Sure, stay away from it 99% of the time, but enjoy yourself the other 1%. My grandma lived to be 98 years old and she ate things like butter, bacon, white bread and other "bad" things her entire life. I think life is too short to NOT enjoy the things we love every so often. I am always on a journey to get more fit and keep my weight at a healthy place but I ain't turnin' down some great cake every now and then !!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 91

EWW, that's just gross! I made Choc. Bc w/ crisco for the first time the other day, I think I'll stick to my all butter recipes. Or I'll go w/ cmcgarr and try the SMBC. Thanks.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 91

OK, so what do I do? I live in Texas and for about 5-6 months out of the year, if not more, I cannot use all butter frosting. Do any of the other frostings, IMBC or SMbc hold up in the temps, or am I just destined to cause everyone to have fatty livers?

stephanie

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraott

Oh my gosh. I am horrified and disgusted. icon_smile.gif I'm done with shortening now, even if the bugs are going to share my butter with me. And I also have a stupid question: what is SMBC? Some sort of butter cream?

Bump--what is SMBC

doleta Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 91

My grandkids are homeschooled. That would be a great experiment for them to do.
I assume the bugs won't eat it because it's not really food?
I heard about a healthfood salesman who's taken an unwrapped twinkie with him to every show for 10 yrs and it still doesn't look different.
I should be well preserved! (I love Twinkies)
But truly, I will change my evil ways. icon_evil.gif
Just thinking about changing my liver to concrete...yuck.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 91

Im so disgusted!!! I probably won't stop using crisco but I will definitely stop eating so many terrible foods. Like auntsushi said, most people only eat these cakes for special occasions, and then if thats the case eating some crisco isnt' too bad right? We cant cut out allllll bad things, thats impossible!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 91

I agree, the people that order cakes only have them a few times a year. We're the only ones that have that fatty mess in our house constantly and year round! icon_lol.gif

moydear77 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 91

Swiss Meringue Butter Cream
SMBC

cmcgarr Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 91

SMBC (Swiss Meringue Buttercream).
It uses egg whites, granulated sugar, and butter. I prefer to buy the egg white in the carton because they're pasteurized, and you can't contaminate them with yolk (if you decide to use shelled eggs).

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraott

Bump--what is SMBC

swiss meringue butter cream icon_biggrin.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 91

SMBC-swiss meringue buttercream
IMBC-Italian meringue bc

Made with lots of butter and egg whites

cmcgarr Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 91

I know that people only eat cake on special occasions, but as cake bakers and decorators, we can get into trouble! It's always so tempting to taste and sample your creations. If you have a strong will, I commend you! but I'm gonna stick with my yummy fav SMBC.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 91

saraott & justfrosting

I see that that you haven't been answered yet.

SMBC - is Swill Meringue Butter Cream

and IMBC - is Italian Meringue Butter Cream

You cook a solution of sugar/water is make a simple syrup. This is then poured into whipped eggs or egg whites, depending on which you make. Then the butter is added to the cooled mixture and beaten in.
There is also French Buttercream.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:45pm
post #18 of 91

Sorry - typo =
I ment...

SWISS

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #19 of 91

Back to the crisco butter thing.....

Yesterday I heard a recently released study that mens testostrone level has dropped 15% in 15 years. That is 1% a year. icon_eek.gif

I heard this morning that Autism is up 60% and that number is not attributed to better reporting.icon_eek.gif

I have also just recently heard that the human body decomposes more slowly now and it is said it is because of our new chemical compositions. icon_eek.gif

It is a garbage planet! And I want someone to tell me the one and only good thing left to eat on earth. icon_cry.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:45pm
post #20 of 91

A comment on the "eating things that are bad for you" post. Butter is not necessarily the most healthy thing to eat, but at least it is a food item found in nature (comes from milk), and not a chemical creation. You shouldn't eat a stick of butter everyday or anything, but you can easily cut back on the hydrogenated oils, etc. By making cakes and icing without shortening in them, you can substitute butter and although it's still not healthy, at least your body knows what to do with it!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:47pm
post #21 of 91

That's why I make everything from scratch. The ONLY ready made things I buy are canned tomatoes.

I only buy organic milk, dairy products and eggs. My meats are also "organic" meaning no growth hormones, etc.

Things taste better too and really, does it cost that much more? Not really! Plus, you feel good when you know that you're giving your family the best.

That's why it KILLS me to use crisco and I've been switching over to butter.

Melissa

moydear77 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:48pm
post #22 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Back to the crisco butter thing.....

Yesterday I heard a recently released study that mens testostrone level has dropped 15% in 15 years. That is 1% a year. icon_eek.gif

I heard this morning that Autism is up 60% and that number is not attributed to better reporting.icon_eek.gif

I have also just recently heard that the human body decomposes more slowly now and it is said it is because of our new chemical compositions. icon_eek.gif

It is a garbage planet! And I want someone to tell me the one and only good thing left to eat on earth. icon_cry.gif

Oh I so agree with you. I got into an argumant about the impact that humans have on the planet i.e. Global warming. You would not believe what someone told me-They sai dthat it is all made up and natural resources are abundent and we just have not drilled far enough yet.
So the thing I asked them was how much snow did they have when they were kids in Minnesota--"oh up to our heads and higher".
Well we have only been able to build a snow fort once that my daughter could alomost stand in a dn we had to bring snow from all over the yard-She is six.

Ok I am done and have now cleaned my pantry of all that will kill me!

doleta Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:51pm
post #23 of 91

I DON'T plan to stop using Crisco.
I just plan to stop tasting and tasting and tasting....my frosting.
I eat LOTS of it....I gotta stop!
I know saturated fats are bad.....it's just that I didn't realize how much worse hydrogenated fat was.
As for my recipes....I just poison my customers LOL
but after all they aren't
eating as much of the cake and frosting I do. icon_redface.gif
Naughty Naughty me!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:52pm
post #24 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsushi

I saw the show yesterday, too, and I really like Dr. Oz and the information he provides.......but, here is my take on it. I think we all know that most cake is made from REALLY BAD stuff. REALLY bad for you but it tastes REALLY good. I don't know that there is a way to make a really terrific, great looking cake without somehow using Crisco, butter, powdered sugar, regular sugar, corn syrup.....you get the picture. We all know it's possible to make a cake without this stuff but the reality is it's part of making a cake.

I have come to the conclusion that it's really okay to use this stuff, just don't eat it all the time!! People that buy cakes from us are buying them for a very special occasion and I believe that it's okay to eat ALL THINGS in moderation. Sure, stay away from it 99% of the time, but enjoy yourself the other 1%. My grandma lived to be 98 years old and she ate things like butter, bacon, white bread and other "bad" things her entire life. I think life is too short to NOT enjoy the things we love every so often. I am always on a journey to get more fit and keep my weight at a healthy place but I ain't turnin' down some great cake every now and then !!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

I couldn't agree more!! Yes, shortening is bad for you. That's why it's a special treat. It's all about moderation. icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:54pm
post #25 of 91

I agree with Auntsushi,
Eat in moderation. You can eat healthy, excercise, watch everything you do and the second you walk out your door, get hit by a car! Life is about moderation.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:58pm
post #26 of 91

I like organic also, but then I start thinking, the air is polluted with chemicals, the ground is polluted with chemicals, and so is the water and these chemicals never go away. Cows eat and drink them, plants absorb them no matter how hard we try to be "clean" and then I go into a tizzy. All this worry "could be sugar induced."

But vickymacd now I am going to worry about car death stats now cuz I drive hour one each way for work daily. icon_cry.gif No hope.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:09pm
post #27 of 91

Can't we call in another expert to refute this. And...what will they be saying in 15 years?

Just kidding! I know it is bad for me but try to be moderate about it.

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:16pm
post #28 of 91

I am fairly new to cake baking/decorating and went through the Wilton classes. So as a result I use the Wilton recipe for butter cream half crisco half butter. I also like many of the other posters like to taste test my icing and found that....how can I put this delicately.....get issues when I eat too much icon_redface.gif
But I have a few questions.
When you make butter cream with all butter does it get too soft and does you cake need to be refridgerated?
How about the other types of butter cream that have been discussed?
Thanks for your help.

doleta Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:23pm
post #29 of 91

Sorry....me again.....
My hubby is a melanoma cancer survivor.
His co-worker and friend in a nearby city BOTH died of melanoma while he was under treatment.
My hubby became a health food NUT.
Yes, he took all his treatments, but he did a big turnaround diet wise.
All I know is he is still here. Yea!
When I told him I was giving up my Crisco because of what I saw on Oprah he was sooooo proud of me.
He also said "I told you so."
I hate it when he's right. LOL.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:24pm
post #30 of 91

I don't know people. There are so many "bad" things for us anymore. I say life is to short to give up all good tasting foods.

You hear about the people who eat fat and junk food and live to be almost 100 and then you hear about the man who eats only "good" foods, runs everyday and does everything he can to live healthy only to die from a heart attack at 40. icon_sad.gif

I really believe that when it's our time to go we go.

So I will continue to eat cake and the Crisco icing and hope for the best. If I die, well at least I got my cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%