Argh! Everything I Have Touched Has Turned To $%&t!!

Decorating By mgdqueen Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm by Melody25

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 14

I am trying so hard to get cakes done for the state fair. I planned on working on them all weekend long and I was so sick, all I wanted to do was sleep. NOT that I'm using it as an excuse, because I cannot seem to get anything right! I usually have NO problems covering dummies with MMF. Between yesterday and today I have stripped 3 dummies a total of SEVEN times!!!

I made four batches of MMF over the weekend. I made it the same as I always do, coloring three of the batches. NONE of them seem to be right. They are sticky, tearing away, sticking to my vinyl, and generally PISSING ME OFF!!! I have added PS, added a little Crisco (which I'm trying not to blame for a crappy product as this is the first time I've made MMF with my new and improved-HAHAHA zero transfat stuff!!) and added cornstarch. It seems that the MMF is tearing and not stretching. It's just not right.

I know I don't HAVE to enter the fair, but I have such great ideas and KNOW that I can do it...except it seems I can't do it!! icon_cry.gif Thanks for letting me vent and please feel free to offer suggestions!!

13 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 14

Here's a {{{{{hug}}}}} for you!!! I wish I could help!

kitterman12003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitterman12003 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 14

well i ain't doing any cake today, but i am sick as a dog! just go to bed! next year's fair is only 365 days away. enough time to perfect your technique. but right now just get better!!! thumbs_up.gif

frostedbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbliss Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 14

No advice to give, just some encouragement! Take a deep breath and give it another go! Don't let that darn MMF get you down....you are so talented and we can't wait to see what you come up with!
more ((((((((hugs)))))))!

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 14

* hugs* I know how you feel dear my fair cakes were giving me a pain the hiney and those dummy cakes ( firs ttime using them were giving me fits !) But chin up . When you see how beautiful your cake is with a blue ribbon on it, It will all be worth it !

Monica

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 14

Ugghh I feel your pain lol my daughter was having a Murphy day today (anything that can go wrong will, murphy's law) and believe me I felt so bad for her so I gave her a hug and told her to just relax. lol So here's a hug for you too. Now have a drink and just relax, take a deep breath and say like the little train "I can do this I cant do this" lol hope it all works out for you

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 14

Sorry you're having a poopy day. Any chance of buying some of that nasty Wilton fondant, just so you don't have to struggle any more with the MMF? I mean, no one's gonna eat the cakes since they are dummies anyway.

Either way, hope it all works out for you and that you are a big star in the fair!!!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 14

did you color your fondant while you were making it or after it was made? I ask because the couple of times I colored my marshmallows with americolor while melting them my MMF turned out just like you describe...I had to throw away both batches......When I colored it after I mixed it all together it was fine. I have no idea why, but that was my experience.

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 14

i am sorry you're having a bad day. just walk away for a while then come back. you will feel so much better. if i am in a crappy mood even the simplest thing come out bad.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 14

Your cakes are just lovely! icon_smile.gif

I think you need to give yourself a little more time to get well. Sometimes when we're sick (or getting over something), we're off balance. And doing things we normally do well become a challenge. You mentioned that you made the MMF over the weekend (when you were sick). I wonder if you made another batch now if it would come out different (and behave!). icon_wink.gif

I say see how you feel tomorrow. Take tonight to relax. I know it'll be cutting it close, but maybe you can bang it out.

And there's always next year! And most likely other fairs and/or competitions in between!

Best wishes and I do hope this works out for you! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:26am
post #11 of 14

Awww-thanks for the hugs and wishes. I needed them today for sure!! Things did get better-I kicked back for a little while and ignored my fondant and it seemed to cooperate a little more. I decided to give up the thought of doing all three cakes I had pre-entered though and concentrate on the one that was closest to my heart since things were going so poorly. I think after I made that decision the MMF gave in to my beatings. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

did you color your fondant while you were making it or after it was made? I ask because the couple of times I colored my marshmallows with while melting them my MMF turned out just like you describe...I had to throw away both batches......When I colored it after I mixed it all together it was fine. I have no idea why, but that was my experience.

This is really interesting that you mentioned this. Actually, my white was just as much of a pain as the others today, but the colored ones were just SUPER soft. I usually don't have that problem, but only color small batches, not the whole batch at once. I don't know if I'll blame it on the color just yet...I think I still want to blame it on the NEW AND IMPROVED icon_mad.gif Crisco.

If anybody else has had this problem, I would LOVE to hear about it. It's one more reason to email complaints to Crisco...and the govt for making them become transfat free (?)! thumbsdown.gif

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:46am
post #12 of 14

O Dear I am sorry your having such a bad day.

I think if you'r telling your self your well but your not well YET/ Just take it easy relaXXXX it will be ok.

I am sending you the guardian angel prayer to help you RELAX, just remember a prayer is just words away.

God bless and hope that all works out for you.

Michelle

Belovedeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belovedeve Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:26am
post #13 of 14

I understand your pain with fondant I had to go to bed and come back to it...and decied to do buttercream instead

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 14

OK I'm gonna hi-jack for a minute...I saw your tittle and I had to add my own.

I have 2 cakes for this weekend for my friends 21st birthday. 1 is just a simple 6 in round stacked on a 9 inch round for family. The 2nd cake is a huge microphone shaped cake for her surprise party with everybody. I have made... 1 6in, 2 9 in, 1 9x13, 1 11x15, and a bowl. I made the 6 inch and the 11x15 first. The 6 inch came out beautifully, as did the 11x15. I set them out to cool and I went down to my basement for a minute. I came back up and my dog had eaten a corner off of my 11x15. So I have to re-do that later. I continued with my other cakes....Every single one of them stuck and had pieces come off. Today has just been the day from H*ll!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%