Help! My Second Ever Wedding Cake Due In 3 Days!

Decorating By mom2aeml Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 5:27pm by kwdonlon

mom2aeml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2aeml Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone! I need your expertise! I am doing my second wedding cake in a few days and I am having trouble with the colors and placement of my roses. The bride wants a four tiered ivory cake with ivory, brown and lavender roses. I can't picture the roses grouped together nicely in those colors. Any suggestions or photos to help?? Thank you!

14 replies
KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 15

Sorry I can't picture those colors working together icon_confused.gif

The ivory and lavender, yes. But with BROWN???????

Maybe someone else has some ideas. Good Luck!

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 15

Could you use the brown for the leaves?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 15

I think I would try to talk the bride into another decoration being brown.. to me, brown roses are dead roses and I don't know if that's the look she's going for!

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 15

Could the brown be more of a tan or mocha color? Dark brown is too much like black, and I tell my bride's I won't do black roses....too creepy!

I think if its more of a lite brown it could be very pretty.

I'd do rose buds in the brown, with the ivory and lavender the open flowers.

Good luck!

staceyd1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyd1984 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 15

do the roses have to be brown or could you do lavender roses with a nice brown loops of ribbon?

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 15

I must be crazy cause I can TOTALLY picture those colors together lol.

if it helps, go to the paint store and get those "swatch" dealies or what ever they are called, and put the colors together and see.

also, I like what kathys90 said..

ZM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZM Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 15

I think a light brown would match lavender and ivory well. One of my sisters is getting married next weekend and a shade of brown (truffle, I think) ended up being one of her colors. It looks much better than I thought it would. I think her colors ended up being ivory, lavender and brown, actually. I like the suggestion of making the brown roses buds, not quite open flowers. I'm making her wedding cake next week, but the flowers are all fresh (and I'm relying on the florist to bring them).

Good luck!

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 15

I am asuming that lavender is one of her colors so pink is out of the question. Pink and brown look sooo good together!!!!

I agree that brown roses would look "dead" too. I would do the roses lavender and add accents of brown somehwere else. Maybe swirls, dots all over or maybe the border. JMO K'ly

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:20am
post #10 of 15

I wouldn't necessarily pick the colors but I don't think it would look horrible with the brown being an accent like in a ribbon or bow with lavender and ivory roses. Brown flowers just aren't natural unless they're dead of course. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

mom2aeml Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:30am
post #11 of 15

Thanks everyone, for your ideas. icon_smile.gif I practiced putting together the three colors with all roses, using a lighter brown that ended up an aweful color! icon_cry.gif So today I made small chocolate brown apple blossoms with ivory pearl centers. I think it'll work!! Continue wishing me luck, I feel I need it...I am soooo nervous!! I feel like such a rookie! I will post the pic either way!!!

mom2aeml Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 15

Well, here it is! Overall I am very happy with it! Considering it is my first fondant cake, my first stacked (with dowels and all) cake, and my second ever wedding cake!! I think the color combo with just a hint of the brown worked well in the end!! I learned alot from doing it and can see my areas that need improvement but at least it turned out better than I thought. Not to mention the anxiety kept me awake all night!!

Oh, and there's no topper because the bride is putting on her own. It would have looked nice with more of the flowers on top though!

Thanks everyone!!

mom2aeml Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 15

The pic didn't go thru....I'll try again....

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 15

I think you figured out a great way of incorporating all of the bride's colors...way to go - that cake is beautiful!

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 15

The colors work well together...great job! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%