Recipe For Chocolate Ganache?

Baking By NTxWriter Updated 30 Jul 2014 , 7:08pm by blademanswife

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 31

I'd love to try chocolate ganache. Does anyone have a really good recipe?

Thanks,

Joan in Tx

30 replies
LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTxWriter

Thanks,

Joan in Tx

All I do is mix 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips (love the mini chips for this) and 1/2 heavy cream, by weight in a sauce pan, put it on medium heat and stir constantly while melting it until it's absolutely smooth. Then, let it cool, stirring occasionally until it's cool enough to pour over a cake icon_smile.gif

so...if you used one 12 oz bag of ch. chips, you'd mix that with 1 1/2 cups cream. If you're wanting to make truffles, though, you'd use less cream to chocolate so it will firm up better.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTxWriter

Thanks,

Joan in Tx

All I do is mix 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips (love the mini chips for this) and 1/2 heavy cream, by weight in a sauce pan, put it on medium heat and stir constantly while melting it until it's absolutely smooth. Then, let it cool, stirring occasionally until it's cool enough to pour over a cake icon_smile.gif

so...if you used one 12 oz bag of ch. chips, you'd mix that with 1 1/2 cups cream. If you're wanting to make truffles, though, you'd use less cream to chocolate so it will firm up better.

That is how I do it!

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 31

This is the recipe I use for ganache:

Makes 1 1/2 cups

3/4 cup whipping cream
1 (6 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 (6 oz) package milk chocolate morsels

Bring cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat; quickly remove from heat, and stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth. Let mixture cool until slightly warm before pouring on to your cake.

Here's a link to the cake I made using this recipe.
It was delicious! I now have two more requests for Baby Shower cakes just like it. icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=898903

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:34am
post #5 of 31

Here's an overview on ganache:
(Includes master and various recipes, how to glaze, how to pour & smooth, and more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334973-.html

Stacked Ganache Cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-132821-.html

HTH

NTxWriter Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 31

Thanks so much for the info!

These sound terrific and not too difficult either.

Joan

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 31

the better the chocolate....the better the ganache
chocolate ganache1

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 31

Here's the recipe I use for ganache:

(from www.joyofbaking.com)

8 ounces (227 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
1 tablespoons cognac or brandy (optional) ***NOTE: I don't use this ... instead, I add a couple of drops of LorAnn Orange Oil ... it adds a really nice, very subtle orange flavor, and really brings out the rich chocolatey flavor. icon_smile.gif

Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized stainless steel bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. If desired, add the liqueur (or in my case, the orange oil).

NTxWriter Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 31

So would you recommend using some really good, expensive chocolate to get a different taste?

Because of all the studies on the health benefits of dark chocolate, I've see many new kinds in the stores. World Market has lots of imported dark chocolate.

Has anyone tried any of these in the recipes?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 31

i've used a range of cheap ole' store brand chocolate chips to really expensive chocolates, and while the expensive chocolate typically tend to taste better, its not always practical to spend so much money. i usually stick with ghiradelli chocolate chips, but either way its yummy. my FAVORITE and most requested way is whipped milk chocolate ganache

whipped milk chocolate ganache
1 12oz bag chocolate chips
1 pint (or 2 cups) heavy whipping cream.

its best to bring the cream to a boil on its own (not with the chocolate. if the chocolate gets too hot it can separate and the resulting texture isnt as good) in a saucepan. remove from heat. place chocolate in a metal or glass bowl, pour cream on top and let SIT FOR 2 MINUTES. then whisk until all is melted. if you stir right away, you'll tend to be left with unmelted chunks. allow to cool a bit, then cover tightly and chill for 4-6 hours. whip with a mixer on high speed until stiff. dont over beat or it will turn into "butter"...and the texture wont be as smooth. this is nice and fluffy like mousse and absolutely delicious! enough to fill 3 layers and frost on an 8" round cake.

melysa Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 31

dont forget to constantly stir or whisk the cream while bringing it to a boil. it doesnt have to boil for any length of time, just once it begins to simmer, then you can turn the heat off and continue.

store at cool (68-70ish F) room temp for up to two days, or in an airtight container in the fridge for 7-10 days (granted the exp. date on the cream is not within that time frame) or freeze for maybe a couple of months.

you can pipe decorations well with this but it is heat sensitive, so keep it inside!

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 31

Oh Melysa, that sounds delicious. Thanks for the instructions for the "whipped" chocolate ganache. I want to give that a try.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 31

My favorite ganache recipe is in Marcel Desaulnier's "Chocolate Cakes" book. It uses a combination of ss chocolate, us chocolate, cream & sugar. It is to die for! Plus there are a lot of other great recipes in the book - I've made several and have yet to be disappointed.

Bec

NTxWriter Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:38pm
post #14 of 31

This has been a great thread! I can't wait to try the recipes in here.

I've used the giradelli chocolate chips for baking also and they're really good.

Joan

melysa Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-Happy

Oh Melysa, that sounds delicious. Thanks for the instructions for the "whipped" chocolate ganache. I want to give that a try.

you're welcome, enjoy!

melysa Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-Happy

you're welcome, enjoy!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 31

I am so wanting chocolate right now. Thanks for all the information!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 31

I have had a couple of recipes I liked in the past and then I tried the one on here from Chef Taz. Now it is my favorite. It comes out so smooth, so beautiful and shiny. I saw pics of several cakes on here that I really liked and found out they used Chef Taz.... It's a winner. I like to put it on a bit warm though. Not hot so it will all just run off but warm so it will still flow a bit. One trick I used when it is not as smooth as I would like is a hair blow drier... Works like a charm. I have a large cake that I did for my neighbor's 75th surprise birthday. I used ganache, chocolate transfer sheets, modeling chocolate roses and leaves and tootsie roll roses. I also piped in the cool ganache. Not whipped because I still wanted the shine. Good Luck.... We love our chocolate don't we! icon_biggrin.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #19 of 31

Melysa & Jopalis: I tried the chocolate ganache on the Orange Dreamsicle cake recipe right here on CC. I cant believe how delicious it is! I made little 4 rounds and filled them with Orange Whipped Cream and then drizzled the ganache on top of them. Unbelievable! icon_eek.gif

I did the same with some cupcakes and had all my friends oohing and aahing and wanting more! Thank you & yes indeedy, we LUV the chocolate! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

melysa Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:32am
post #20 of 31

that sounds delicious! glad you enjoyed it icon_smile.gif

idali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idali Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:51pm
post #21 of 31

Thanks for the wonderful recipes!

IC

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #22 of 31

Save and Bump! What a great thread! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 9:33pm
post #23 of 31

Oh thank you for posting this!!! Thank you thank you thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 2:52pm
post #24 of 31

This is truely a wonderful thread, I have been craving chocolate for the last few day's, now I'm really craving it, thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

Kat

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #25 of 31

great recipes!!! I know this is an old thread but I have to try these

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #26 of 31

Old thread but wonderful suggestions.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:12am
post #27 of 31

Great info, thanks everyone.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #28 of 31

There are so many different suggestions for ganache. I am new and was reading all about using the ganach as the coating under the fondant. Is there any one ganache recipe that is better than another for that. Or are they all about the same. Help, I want to do this soon.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:53pm
post #29 of 31

Sorry, found my answer on another thread. Sometimes I post too quickly. icon_sad.gif

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 3 May 2014 , 1:24pm
post #30 of 31

Each time I do fondant cake ,  I feel very dragging ...cos I hate doing butter cream .

It can gives me sleepless night .

Having to add the vegetable shortning makes me feel really guilty .....I used to be health care worker :)

Smearing the cake  with apricot jam is also an option , but I m afraid my fondant will not look nice if there's any hole or lumps or something that will up .

As I was browsing  Youtube for ideas , I came across two European ladies ,using ganache to cover their cakes. That was wonderful!!

So from now I will switch from butter cream to ganache :)

Happy decorating everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%