Fruitloop Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 1:06am
post #1 of

I know real flowers can go on cakes but I'm thinking there may be some that shouldn't. Anyone know if Cala Lilies are ok on a buttercream cake? They'll obviously be taken off before serving.

11 replies
Fruitloop Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:17pm
post #2 of

Anyone??? I have a wedding cake that I'm doing for a friend in Sept. so I need to know if they can go on her cake or not.

meme Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:25pm
post #3 of

Do they make silk ones? maybe to put inbetween layers? Or around bottom would be pretty

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:32pm
post #4 of

Somewhere on the site is a list of flowers that can and can't go on cakes. I'll take a look for it. And yes they do make fake ones that look quite real! Look at Michael's or JoAnn's

Deb

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 2:33pm
post #5 of

Here's a link to the list

http://www.cakecentral.com/article18-List-of-Non-Toxic-Flowers-for-Garnishing-your-Cake.html

Deb

Fruitloop Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:04pm
post #6 of

Hhmm, Cala Lilies don't seem to be on the list. Maybe I'll suggest putting some fake ones on the top of the cake just to be on the safe side. I really don't want to make anyone sick. Thanks for the link icon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:09pm
post #7 of

Probably a good idea! They make gumpaste calas too!

Deb

dragonfly Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:31pm
post #8 of

i made aedding cake with fake calla's on it and they look very real. I dont know how to add a link or i would like the photo.

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:37pm
post #9 of

dragonfly ~ that is a pretty cake! They can just click on your photos to see the cake.

Deb

Bubbles Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 5:02pm

If you wanted to use the fresh Cala Lilies, couldn't you wrap the stems before you put them in the cake?

thecakemaker Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 5:15pm

You just wouldn't want them touching the cake in any way.

Deb

Fruitloop Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 6:44pm

Well, she said she's fine with some fake ones. I told her we could put some real ones around the cake on the table if she wanted and she seemed happy with that. Thanks for the input guys icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%