Ribbons On Cake

Decorating By sarahleecookies Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 12:43am by sarahleecookies

sarahleecookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahleecookies Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 11

How is everyone using ribbon on thier cakes without grease coming through? Special ribbon? techniques? HELP! Thanks in advance! Especiaaly on BC....

10 replies
sarahleecookies Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 11

Please help guys! Every time I use ribbon within a few hours its grease stained, how do you keep it from doing this? I have a wedding cake next week and no clue if I need specail ribbon or a certain fabric or what....Please help!

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 11

If you put the ribbon on BC, others on CC have suggested cutting wax paper to fit under the ribbon so that the ribbon does not touch the icing.

When I put ribbon on MMF, I didn't have any trouble with grease stains - but BC is different.

HTH

Tim-n-SEMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tim-n-SEMO Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 11

I've greased the ribbon ahead of time with Crisco....that way it's greased all around & no one notices--but it does darken the ribbon a bit.

You could also you a synthetic-type ribbon that won't absorb grease.

HTH

Tim

Tim-n-SEMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tim-n-SEMO Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 11

BTW--the ribbon on the wedding cake in my pics is one that was non-absorbent.

Tim

roosterroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roosterroses Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 11

you could also use scotch tape on the side of the ribbon facing the cake.... trim to width of ribbon.

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 11

I have never done a ribbon on anything but MMF, but the wax paper cut to fit is what I have heard you do with BC. I have a question though, I have a bride that wants this cake without the frosting border on the ribbon - how do I get it to stay against the cake and not fall off?!?
LL

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 11

I use wax paper! I put double sided tape down on the ribbon and then put a strip of wax paper just a teeny tiny bit smaller than the width of the ribbon! Works like a charm!

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:04am
post #9 of 11

I've used waxed paper. I've heard of using contact paper cut to fit, also.

Becky Sue, you just have to pin it to the cake. Some use the pins with a pearl head. I've just used a dab of buttercream in the back where they meet. Just remember to tell whoever cuts it about the pins if you use them!

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:14am
post #10 of 11

I haven't tried this suggestion but I was told that if you cut wax paper to the exact size of the ribbon and then iron it the heat from the iron would cause the wax paper to adhere to the ribbon.

The other piece of advice I was given was to use magi strips cut to the size of the ribbon and then attached to the ribbon with royal icing.

I have a picture of a cake that I used a ribbon on and I opted to use a synthetic ribbon and attached it with royal icing.

Hope this helps.
LL

sarahleecookies Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:43am
post #11 of 11

Thanks!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%