Packaging Cupcakes W/o Cupcake Inserts

Decorating By Buttafli Updated 26 Sep 2007 , 11:50pm by Buttafli

Buttafli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttafli Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:21am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have any ideas how package cupcakes for travel w/o cupcake inserts?

10 replies
nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:02am
post #2 of 11

If you mean something re-useable, I got a carrier at Target it carries them well and looks great, too:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_6/602-4128726-9547858?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000H0WEIY

But I have had to deliver cupcakes to a party and didnt have the cardboard inserts for the cake box... Luckily, I had a few empty boxes of 12pack beers.... The insert is practically the same but taller, so you can flatten it, cut it in half, and pop it back up!

Buttafli Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:26am
post #3 of 11

Actually, I am making cupcakes for an individual who will need to carry the cupcakes home. I had the standard Wilton cupcake boxes with cupcake inserts, but in the event I can't get to those boxes I needed another resource for packaging. I like the idea with the beer inserts, but I don't drink beer that often and it usually not in my home. lol icon_lol.gif

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:43am
post #4 of 11

I would just just keep some posterboard on hand... those big shhets you can get at walgreens or michael's. cut strips the length of you box and as high as you need them, then make slits half way up every like 4 inches. Kind of like those 3-D puzzles.... hope you know what I mean!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:51am
post #5 of 11

When I get in a pinch, I just cut a piece of that non slip drawer liner (rubber kind) and put it in the box. The cupcakes stay put. I also use it in the van so boxes don't slide. HTH!

brownsugar1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownsugar1 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:55am
post #6 of 11

Not sure how fast you need them. But I found some paint trays at Hobby Lobby that would fit cupcakes perfectly. The tray is strudy white plastic with 6 individual paint holders. I was going to buy some to have when I was delivering and setting up cupcakes. I was waiting for a coupon because they were like $3.99 a tray.

I guess the other alternative is to ask the grocery store for the trays they use when selling cupcakes.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:00am
post #7 of 11

I made a very similar post about where to buy trays. Someone responded and said she used a dab of buttercream under each cupcake to secure to the cardboard box. I have not tried it yet. I think it might be great for cooler weather, but we're experiencing a heat wave right now. I can't imagine that would really hold. Thought I'd pass it on. Good luck

nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:10am
post #8 of 11

The buttercream idea sounds great, and i would imagine whatever frosting/icing you had laying around would work great, and what could be easier? Thanks for the tip!

hoopb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoopb2 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:33am
post #9 of 11

I always go to the produce section of my grocery store and ask for those flat boxes they put the produce in and they usually have a few on hand , THey Work great for cupcakes, and I figure the grocery store is going to throw them out anyway and this way I don't have to ask for my tray back from the person receiving my cupcakes!!! Hope this helps. PS if you don't like the way the boxes look, cover them with foil or wrapping paper. icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:38pm
post #10 of 11

Something I have thought about and use, I either have on hand some extra foam board or even thin sheets of styrofoam, and use my biscuit cutter and make holes that they can sit in, and put in a cardboard soda case that travels well. maybe this helps.

Buttafli Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 11

I have seen the cardboard soda cases. Another member suggested the same thing, but using the beer inserts. I may have to try all of your ideas to see which works best and what I can get the cheapest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%