Help -- Transporting A Cake Long-Distance

Decorating By rsaun Updated 16 Nov 2006 , 2:40pm by rsaun

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 4

One of my best friends is getting married next week and as her "gift" I am making her wedding cake. It is fairly small, a 10" round, 8" round and 6" round tier, stacked construction, buttercream, with fondant cascade/drape. A florist is doing the flowers separately.

The thing is, it's a small, family only wedding, and so I am not attending. She wants to pick it up from me the night before, and drive it the 1 1/2 hours to the wedding site. How would you suggest packaging it for safe transport? It will be assembled and my cakes are sturdy (dowel rods, etc.) and I've never had a tumble or even one that leans over in transport.

Any suggestions?

3 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 4

I would not want anyone else but myself to do the transporting. That way you know it gets there safely and looks like you want it to. Maybe a big moving box and put some of the rubbery shelf liner (you can get it at walmat. Put it between the box and the cake board and even under the box. This will keep it from sliding around. Good Luck!

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 4

i'm with missrobin...i would be scared to let somebody else trasport one of my cakes...but if you can't i would go with the non slip rubber to...

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, that's what I did. I put it in a large box with the non-slip stuff between the cake and the box, and then again under the box in the car. It got there perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%