Diabetic Cake

Decorating By debbieann Updated 20 Jan 2014 , 10:01pm by Cappyjoe48

debbieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbieann Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 9

please help me with a good diabetic cake. diabetics love cake too a yellow cake will do. thanks in advance.

8 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 9

There is some recipes on here and I would try recipezaar also.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 9

Is this cake for you or someone you know? If it's for a customer be sure to ask whether they are needing something 100% sugar free. You can't make a cake without some sugar, so that's why I'd check it out. I had a request for a diabetic cake last year and the man it was for was not to have any sugar whatsoever, but every diabetic recipe I found had sugar as an ingredient. Even the substitute that is made for baking with has some sugar in it. Just wanted to throw this out there! Better to be safe than sorry. icon_smile.gif

There are recipes for pies and even cheesecakes that can be made sugar free... that's always a good back up plan!

scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

You can't make a cake without some sugar, so that's why I'd check it out.

You can make a cake without any sugar, it just requires special ingredients to do so. High intensity sweeteners such as splenda won't work because they don't provide sugary texture. There are ingredients that do, though.

Debbieann, are you looking for a sugar free cake? Many diabetics these days watch all their carbs, not just sugar. Also, is low fat your goal? Some diabetics watch their fat intake as well.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 9

What is the special ingredient? If you have a recipe, I'd like to add it to my collection. I've done a lot of research on this and never found anything that was truly sugar free.

Thanks!

debbieann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbieann Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 9

thanks everyone for the info. the cakes are for me watching my sugar intake and other people who are diabetic a well. i went online to www.spenda.com and they have recipe. i was using the splenda sugar grandula i think thats the brand and it don't mix to well for me. so i got the splenda blend and mixture of both sugat and you use less one half cup is equal to 1 cup. the cookbook i brought was a waste of money. thanks again everyone.

scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

What is the special ingredient? If you have a recipe, I'd like to add it to my collection. I've done a lot of research on this and never found anything that was truly sugar free.

There's a few ways to get the texture of sugar without using sugar. Sugar alcohols are the most popular. The recipe section of this forum has a sorbitol based cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2010-7-Diabetic-White-Cake.html

Maltitol, another sugar alcohol, is a little harder to obtain, but the nice thing about it is that it can be successfully subbed for sugar 1 for 1 in just about any traditional recipe. The downside to sugar alcohols, though, is that they can be laxating if consumed in large quantities. Most diabetic/sugar free desserts use sugar alcohols, though, so if a client requests a diabetic/sugar free cake, offering then a sugar alcohol based version is perfectly acceptable.

I get my maltitol from here

Polymerized sugars are even harder to obtain than sugar alcohols (you'll only find them online), but, for more people, they are less laxating and have little to no glycemic impact, making them ideal for diabetics. These include polydextrose and inulin. Polydextrose is a common ingredient in sugar free/low carb ice cream.

Lastly, there are soluble fiber gums that, to an extent, mimic the texture of sugar in baked goods. Acacia gum (gum Arabic) is one. Diet rite cola uses gum Arabic to mimic the sugary syrupy texture in regular coke. One popular gum product is called Thickenthin Not/sugar. Not/sugar is a combination of gums, the first being acacia.

I've subbed out maltitol for sugar in cakes on many occasions. It's a no brainer. As of the last couple of years, I've been limiting both my sugar and my flour intake, making cakes a lot trickier. I have no trouble replacing the sugar component, but replacing the flour component is difficult. I've had a great deal of success with a few varieties of low carb flour subs but I'm no where near a definitive recipe. I think within 6 months I should have something.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 9
Cappyjoe48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cappyjoe48 Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 9

AThanks and Semper Fi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%