Gum Arabic - Tylos Powder - Gum Tex

Decorating By Julisa Updated 26 Mar 2014 , 6:26pm by Grumpy old man

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 4

icon_redface.gif Can someone PLEASE explain these to me? I know I needed them, but just cant figure out how to or how much to use.

I bought them in hopes of making a "glue" to attach arms..etc... to my fondant/rolled buttercream figures and to "stiffen" up the fighres so they keep their shape.

icon_rolleyes.gif I thing the Gum Tex and Tylos Powder are pretty much the same. I found the Gum Tex in my supplies (from when I attempted makeing Gum Paste flowers) after buying the tylos powder icon_cool.gif . How much and how do I add it to the already made and colored fondant/RB?

icon_lol.gif I also think that the Gum Arabic is mixed with water to make the "glue". How much? icon_redface.gif (And please remember, I don't get paid to think, just decorate. icon_lol.gif )

Anyones help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. I am making The Backyardigan" figures for a birthday cake. I previously made Miss Spider figures out of MMF, but also had trouble attaching accents to them. They wouldn't hold their shape long enough for them to "dry". SOOOO. This time I thought I would try the fondand/RBC mixture and do as the article on "How to make a fondant fairy" suggested. thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
Tallulah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallulah Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! I've used tylos before, but on gumpaste flowers. I attempted to use it for some fondant I was trying to harden and I used less than a teaspoon.

As for the gum arabic - I used 1 teaspoon of gum arabic and six tablespoons of hot water. Shake and give it 24 hrs before you can use it. At least that's what I was told by my Wilton instructor.

Hope that helps!! icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 4

Gum Tex, Tylose, Gum Arabic, and Gum Trag all do the same thing. They are harden agents. That are what makes gumpaste gumpaste and not fondant.

To attrach fondant pieces together for figures I usually use piping gel.

Gum glue can be made several ways, including using the above mixed with water. You can also take a 1/4th of a tsp of gumpaste with a Tablespoon of water, stir until disolved and that makes gum glue as well.

Grumpy old man Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grumpy old man Posted 26 Mar 2014 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 4

A good guide to how much Tylos to use is if you had a 250 grm block of Rensaws fondant sugar paste you would mix in one teaspoon of Tylos, mixing it with a food mixer with dough hook is easier than by hand:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%