Is Fondant Too Hard For A Newbie?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 4:29pm by Jopalis

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 16

I was wondering if fondant was too difficult for a newbie to attempt. I was thinking of making a Christmas present cake... Could do regular bc icing or fondant and want a fondant bow. Just starting Wilton 1 next week. If I can do it, should I start with Marshmallow fondant? Been reading posts on the 50/50 with gumpaste. Would that be for cake and bow? OK. I am open to suggestions....please. Also is there glitter for cakes?

15 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 16

For me I needed to work up to doing fondant. But I will say I have seen plenty of cakes here where people used fondant and say it is their first decorated cake and I am amazed! If you want to try it, I say go for it!

Yes, 50/50 would be good for the bow because it will help it to dry faster and harder than fondant alone. but dont cover your cake with it. Just use fondant to cover the cake with.

You can buy a variety of glitter things for cakes. Wilton has cake sparkles or shimmer dust (it's not the best, but you can find it at the store) or you can purchase luster dust, petal dust, pearl dust etc. But you mostly have to look online for that unless you have a cake decorating store near you that carries it.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 16

When I teach kids, I start with fondant. It's much easier for them to handle. Don't be afraid of it. The quality of the fondant makes ALL the difference. I make my own, but if I use commercial fondant I use either Pettinice or Satin Ice. I've never used MMF, so I have clue there.

Gumpaste or 50/50 would be for the bow only, not the cake covering. Gumpaste dries hard. Fondant stays soft for quite a while, although it does crust quickly.

Edible glitter is available at most places where you can buy cake supplies. It comes in a variety of colors. It's great for buttercream, but won't stick to fondant. It might stick to MMF from what I have read on CC, but I really don't know.

HTH

Michele

mddm13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mddm13 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 16

no!!! it is so much fun!! you have to try it. you might want to make a practice cake before hand, just in case. but it is alot of fun. i dont used MMF, I tried making it once and it was a nightmare!! I use a fondant brand called satin ice, i dont add anything and it dries hard, perfect for your bow. But if you do decide to go the MMF route......i recall reading several times on here that it DOES NOT dry hard!!!! good luck!

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 16

Welcome to cc and the wonderful world of cake decorating!! I don't think fondant is to difficult for a newbie. I tried it after my Wilton course 1 and it turned out great. The mmf recipe here is easy to follow. BUT, only use about 1 3/4 of the sugar not 2lb, it will be too dry. It is also pretty easy to work with. The gumpaste is to make it set hard. mmf doesn't really dry very hard. So you will want to add gumpaste to the mmf for the bow but not for covering the cake. There is luster dust that you can put on your cake to make it shiny. I just bought some at www.wholesalesugarflowers.com that is the cheapest I have been able to find it. Wilton also has sparkle dust but it is more like a glitter. Luster dust if very fine. And adds a nice touch. Just keep reading posts. I have learned so much from reading cc posts. Good Luck!!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 16

No Way! My first cake was covered in fondant. I picked a really easy Wilton cake from one of the fondant boxes. I made a batch of MMF and off I went! Just remember to have fun!!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 16

Welcome to CC.

Try the MMF, it's easy to make, extremely easy to work with and even tastes good. It's easy to color, the whole batch can be colored with gel as you melt the marshmellows or you can add the color to the finished fondant. And, there is no waste, just gather up the extra and put it into a closed container or ZipLock. Then, you can add gum paste to it and make flowers, bows and any other decorations that needs to be dried. (The gum paste helps dry the MMF, add about 50% gum paste.) Be sure you coat your hands with Crisco before you try to knead it, the counter, too. As you can see, I love the stuff!

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 16

Well, I have been doing cakes for over a year and WISH I would have tried fondant a LONG time ago! I personally think it's easier to work with than buttercream!! I LOVE it!! I say go for it!!

Jopalis Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 16

I did think I read that MMF is tastier than regular...hmm? Great information!!! I am excited....

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 16

I always use 50/50 for flowers, bows etc... except to cover the cake.

I do Fondant 99%.. I love MM Fondant.
They are so easy, convenient and does not go bad . icon_smile.gif

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 6:48am
post #11 of 16

mmf is the best....i looooove it!!!! it's easy to make and it tastes soooo yummy!!!! mabey i'm doing something different though cause i don't mix mine with gumpaste...and it dries hard for me!!!! weird.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 16

No, It's like playing with play doh, you can be a kid again! HA! Try it you will definitely like it!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 16

I jumped in with both feet...no classes, no physical help...the only help I had was from people here on CC. My first cake was decorated with Wilton fondant. I say go for it. The MMF tutorial from this site is fantastic. Thats all I use now!
Have fun!
icon_wink.gif

gelincikler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gelincikler Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 16

Maybe you can try a ready made fondant for the first time. Then you can try to make your own fondant. For me it's much easier to decorate with fondant but it depends of course.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 16

Fondant is not difficult to use. I would suggest getting a small package of wilton fondant - it is easy to find (walmart and michaels) so you know what it is supposed to "feel" like, and what it is like to work with. Then make your own MMF - only make sure you DO NOT put too much powdered sugar in it!

As others have said, only do the gumpaste/fondant mix for the things you want to dry hard.

Jopalis Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 16

Such great people! I am addicted to this site already. I sign up for my first Wilton today...starts Tuesday.... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%