Hobby Lobby. . . Grrrr

Decorating By AuntieElle Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 10:19pm by lionladydi

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 68

every time I go to my local HL I have problems! I've been sick for several days so I thought today I'd get out and pick up a few things for cakin'. HL had a 40% couplon and pasta machines were on sale (been NEEDING one) so i thought I'd give it one more go. I quikly picked up my goodies and headed to the checkout. . .She rings up my pasta machne at full price. I calmly said, "Excuse me but the pasta machine is 30% off maiing it 17.50." She says in a voice very much like what I would imagine Strawberry Shortcake to have, "No ma'am it's not. This is a pasta machine and has nothing to do with clay!" I show her the box where it clearly says, Pasta Machine for use with Polymer Clays. . .She ,all of 17, still is saying No ma'am this is cookware. WHAT? Short of cake pans and a couple craft ovens, when did HL start carrying cookware????????? Helllllooooo. . .I showed her the box again this time showing her on the ad where clay and clay accessories were 30% off. She starts giving me mega-cheek and picks up the phone and calls over a manager type woman. And goes through the whole schpeel. . ."This woman insists that this pasta machine a clay accessory, which it oviously (misspelled because she mispronounced it) isn't. The manager type person picks up the box and reads to her. . .For use with polymer clay and walks off. She gave me my discount, rolled her eyes and said, "You have a nice day." I should have stayed in bed. No more HL for me!

Going back to bed,
icon_mad.gif Elle

67 replies
Steffen74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steffen74 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 68

I've had similar unpleasant experiences at HL. for example, I asked about a cake decorating class one time there (referring to the flyer that was for the taking in the front), and neither the cashier nor the manager knew anything about it. I thought that was just plain stupid.

Plus they tick me off by not being open on Sundays. I try to shop at Michaels and JoAnns where I generally get better service.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 68

Yeah, they hire morons, but sometimes it works in my favor. I've gotten 1/2-inch foamboard for $1.99 a sheet because it's not marked and the cashiers have no idea how much it should be. I don't tell them what to charge me. If they screw up, that's their problem, not mine.

That said, I sent my then 17-year old son to HL to pick up foamboard on sale and they charged him $7.99 a sheet!!!. Had to bring them back myself to get the price adjustment. I feel your pain, sista!

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 68

I had similiar things happen to me at Michaels and JoAnn'sas well as HL. The cashiers usually are not well informed about sales, cake decorating etc. The cake decorating classes are usually by an independent contractor. So unless the teacher is one to keep the manager up to date and in turn the manager keeps the employees up to date they usually know very little about the classes. I am glad that Hobby Lobby allows their employees to have every sun off. Most retailers are just out for the extra buck. Hobby Lobby supports family time. I have also been inconvienced by them being closed., but think this only shows that they do care about their employees and promotes family time.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 68

I bought that pasta machine for clay and took it back its crap. icon_mad.gif Couldn't even get the handle to stay in. I love HL its my haven I go there just to wonder, and thankfully have never had a bad experience. But consider the source of your frustration 17 says it all LOL. icon_wink.gif

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 68

That sure sounds like the HL in Baytown, TX. My mon and I went today, with 40% coupons in hand. Store in packed, being a holiday, at least 8 cash registers. Guess how many was open? ONE!!! Finally they keep calling for cashiers. We we finally check out, they had all of THREE open. We have no where else in this area to go. So you either wait in line or go without.
O.K. I'm done venting.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 68

They are not open on Sunday's for the same reason Chick-fila (sorry if spelled wrong) isn't. They are a Christian ran organization. Therefore closed on Sundays. Sorry ya'll had those problems but you really should take it up with the higher ranking manager. Hobby Lobby is an excellent store in my town. I'm not defending what happened I'm just saying my hometown isn't like that. thumbs_up.gif

Wandao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandao Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 68

I love Hobby Lobby but they are one of the few stores where the cashiers have to actually input the prices of items into the register. Most stores have the sales built in, so if the item is scanned the sale price would automatically come up. I think they need to update their cash registers and it would solve the problem.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 68

What you experienced could & doex happen at many different types of stores. We all make mistakes. I probably would have been upset too but they are as human as you are.
Seems to me you kicked yourself in the rear. You said you had a 40% off coupon but then insisted on being charged the sale price of 30% off. You would have gotten another 10% if you had just used the coupon.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 68

I worked for Joann's for 30 days. I couldn't take it. I was poorly trained, had hardly any training on the cash register before I was thrown on it (only to piss off the customers because I was so slow!), the managers were disorganized.......I could go on and on. I didn't want to be another poorly trained craft store employee.

There isn't a HL close to me, so can't say what they are like, but I know that it really drives me nuts when the cashier (at any store, not just craft) is too busy talking to her friend on the next register or standing next to her to even acknowledge that I am standing there! I've been to stores where I have gone through the whole check-out process and the cashier never says a word to me because she is so busy talking to someone else! Doesn't she/he realize that if it weren't for me being addicted to crafts, then she wouldn't have a job? LOL!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 68

As someone who has worked in customer service and sales (as a person who does the work AND as a Cust Svc manager), it is not just a HL issue. It's the general state of affairs of customer service as a whole. I am VERY critical of service I receive because if I don't do my job right, then I would get reamed for it .... ergo I expect everyone else to do THEIR job RIGHT, too! (My family hates to go to a restaurant with me!).

Ticks me off when cashiers talk to their friends instead of paying attention to ME, the CUSTOMER! Ticks me off when cashiers can't talk and put stuff in the bag at the same time. Why they have to hold the item in their hand while answering a question is beyond me!

I've observed that it's not always the cashier's issue or problem. Twice I've been in line at walmart and the cashier has paged a cust svc mgr for a problem; She's paged them again and again. In both of these instances another customer who was in line, walked to the cust svc desk and literally grabbed a CSM by the hand and brought them to the check out line for the cashier! (We all applauded!) The cashiers were not getting the mgmt support they needed to do their job.

I get really peeved when people behind the counter (can we say the big hamburger chain that starts with "M"?) act like it's SUCH an inconvenience for me to come and spend my money with them!

I've been in the BMV (a whole thread in itself!) when a woman who worked there walked up and asked a question. I answered it. She looks at me and says "I wasn't even talking to you!" Well excuse me all to he**, b**ch! I thought you asked ME a question!

IT's poor training overall. As a mgr/trainer, it's my observation that companies spend as little time as possible to show people how to run the register and do the paperwork and spend ZERO time in teaching customer relations and how to take care of the customer!

I could go on for days on this topic! icon_mad.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 68

I bet Auntelli did what I normally do - buy what is 30% off and use the 40% off coupon for something not on sale - simply because I am 40 miles away from the nearest HL - so when I go I try to make it worth my money and time!!

I too went today with couponS in hand - yes I had more than one. Went straight to the cake decorating aisle picked up the king size muffin pan and a few more way less expensive items and off the the checkout I go - the one on the far end!! I take my wares to the car - go back in with coupon #2 and pick up the fondant roller - head back to the checkout - to a different checker - did this 2 more times to get what I wanted and needed!

Thank goodness the Manager was no where to be seen because he has eyes like an eagle and watches everyone like a hawk - very unnerving to me even when I am not try to get around the rules!!

Needless to say the nearest Michaels is an hour away and the nearest JoAnns is 3 to 4 hours away - so HL is it for me - unless I find a deal on eBay!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 11:55pm
post #13 of 68

Hobby Lobby cooks my goose. I was in there a couple weeks ago and they had two aisles of 80% off clearance merchandise. I picked up several things from the rack and went to the register to only be told that they were not on sale. Well, why were they on the rack?? It wasn't one of an item either it was dozens of what I had picked up. I took the manager over and showed him and he said that they were only there for display. Now why do you put stuff on a clearance rack for display when a sign states that this aisle is 80% off. Well, I wrote corporate who then supposedly took it up with the manager but I never heard back from it. This is the second time something like this has happened at HL.

AuntieElle, Williams Sonoma had their pasta machines on sale last week. I got a $36.99 pasta machine for $9.99 and it is sturdy and nice.

AuntieElle Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:01am
post #14 of 68

Tis exactly what I did SuzyCakes! I have little patience for this kind of behavior! It wasn't the human nature part of the whole thing but the way she spoke to me. . .Like I barely spoke English, Oh no this is a pasta machine it has nothing to do with clay. On top of that I was sick so was not in the mood for Strawberry Shortcake and her attitude. Customer service has gone to pot!

elle

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #15 of 68

I've worked at Joanns and understand the frustration the cashiers feel trying to remember and know everything that is on sale. Why these companies don't invest in a system where the sales can be scanned in is beyond me. The cashier is expected to know every kind of fabric, scrapbook, cake decorating, home decor knick knacks and so on and what percentage off they are that week. One week they can be 40% off, the next 30% and the next full price. They don't make it easy at all. The managers go around and hang signs and expect everyone to know. And there is definitely lack of training. I had never used a cash register in my life and they had me checking people out the 3rd day (was learning fabrics and how to properly cut fabric the first 2 days). I sooo do not blame those poor cashiers who are making $6.50/hr.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun33082

Why these companies don't invest in a system where the sales can be scanned in is beyond me. The cashier is expected to know every kind of fabric, scrapbook, cake decorating, home decor knick knacks and so on and what percentage off they are that week. One week they can be 40% off, the next 30% and the next full price. They don't make it easy at all. The managers go around and hang signs and expect everyone to know. And there is definitely lack of training. I sooo do not blame those poor cashiers who are making $6.50/hr.

[quote="indydebi"] IT's poor training overall. As a mgr/trainer, it's my observation that companies spend as little time as possible to show people how to run the register and do the paperwork and spend ZERO time in teaching customer relations and how to take care of the customer!

Well put icon_sad.gif

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:56am
post #17 of 68

Indydebi since you mentioned the big m let me tell you what happened to me there (and this goes with the fact that customer service everywhere is getting pretty bad!) I ordered a happy meal and a cookie for niece - it was $4.34. I didn't have change except pennies so I gave her $5.04 - 'cause I didn't want any more pennies. So she takes it - looks at it and then hands me back a handful of change - a couple of nickels some pennies a dime and one quarter! I hand it back to hear and say -"I gave you pennies - you owe me 70 cents - I kid you not this is exactly what she said "This is only my first day here - Ya'll can't be comin up in here givin me change!" (mispelled 'cause that's how she said it - and very rudely also) So I said - "what I can't pay you for my food?!" It takes a manger coming over to get me the 70 cents. Unbelievable! icon_confused.gif

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:05am
post #18 of 68

I had the same problem in my local Hobby Lobby, I don't know if is only in Texas, actually I live in San Antonio....

Aaris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aaris Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:21am
post #19 of 68

I know this has nothing to do with cake decorating, but someone mentioned that HL is a Christian company so I decided to pipe in...
Hobby Lobby only claims that they are closed on Sundays because they want to promote family time. A close relative of mine recently quit a managerial position there because he was working upwards of 90 hours(many actually on Sun.) when they originally said 55-60 hours. They are very unorganized and have a very antiquated inventory system which explains the lack of knowlegable employees. I won't be shopping there even though they have great prices and coupons because I think they are dishonest in representing themselves as a great family company.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:24am
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcat3740

...... "This is only my first day here - Ya'll can't be comin up in here givin me change!" (mispelled 'cause that's how she said it - and very rudely also) So I said - "what I can't pay you for my food?!" It takes a manger coming over to get me the 70 cents. Unbelievable! icon_confused.gif

Ba hahaha! Sorry to laugh, but I've so been there!! Indy may especially appreciate this story. It's been years ago, but I lived in NW Indiana; right up near the lake. When we moved to Kansas, there were NO Whitecastle Hamburger places *gasp* Whitecastle, will however sell you frozen ones to take home or as my parents did one trip out to Kansas, bring to deprived daughters.

My mother went up to the counter to order 2 dozen frozen burgers. As was the policy at the time, the girl behind the counter asks where they are going. (Like it's anyone's business) My mother answers "Kansas" The girl behind the counter says, NO, really. ..where"" Again, KANSAS...

Girl behind counter gets irritable, and informs my mother that KANSAS does not really exist, it's only on that movie.... By now my mother is steamed.. and informs said clerk it can and DOES exist. The girl is rolling her eyes by now and writes: CANZIZ on her copy of the receipt.

I've got a million of 'em... icon_rolleyes.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:27am
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Yeah, they hire morons, but sometimes it works in my favor. I've gotten 1/2-inch foamboard for $1.99 a sheet because it's not marked and the cashiers have no idea how much it should be. I don't tell them what to charge me. If they screw up, that's their problem, not mine.

That said, I sent my then 17-year old son to HL to pick up foamboard on sale and they charged him $7.99 a sheet!!!. Had to bring them back myself to get the price adjustment. I feel your pain, sista!

Ouch...........I can't believe you can justify getting your foamboard for a cheaper price because they aren't marked but get upset if they overcharge you for something. I check every ticket I get from Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc. If I find a mistake I tell them--be it in my favor or theirs. That's just what I was taught.

As for the kids hired at these fast food places...........it's unbelievable. I finally learned not to give them the pennies and expect them to know how to make change accordingly. I asked a math teacher who frequented my cafe if he ever taught students how to make change. He told me that he did not. Told him he should as they will come closer to using that than finding out x + y = z. icon_lol.gif

I find that several stores use the gimmick of putting items that are not on sale in with those that are. They plead insanity if you call them on it. Dollar General is the worst at that (or best at that--however you look at it) than anyone I have ever seen.

Customer service stinks everywhere. Everyone has downsized until there is not enough people there to do a good job. Try finding someone to help you find a dress to fit at somewhere like Wal-Mart. It is often not the easiest thing to do at Sears or Penneys these days either.

Have ranted enough.......need to shut up. tapedshut.gif

Diane

indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:36am
post #22 of 68

kcat, my BIGGEST complaint about "that place" was when I went thru the drive thru. My now ex-Marine son was about 4 years old. I ordered 2 cheeseburgers, 2 fries and 2 cokes. They give me my drinks and asked me to pull up and wait. ( icon_confused.gif Gosh, I thought it was a simple order!). I noticed steam coming out from under my hood of my car and I got out to check it out. I'm bent over under the hood of my car and I hear this noise. I look up and see the building door closing so I just figured a customer went inside. Imagine my surprise when I saw my food had been THROWN inside my car window!!!!!!!!!

The next morning, when I called the local franchise owner (small town ... I knew him, but he was not in the office yet), the speech I gave the poor lady unfortunate enough to answer the phone was: (and I QUOTE!)

"They just THREW the food in my car window! THey didn't say, 'Here's your food. Sorry for the wait. Kiss my fu**ing a$$ or nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just THREW it in my car! I am SICK of people thinking that just because they wear a (insert chain name here) uniform, that somehow that gives them a reason to treat me like SH*T!!! Now I know it won't make or break your stock values, but my 4 year old son will be collecting Social Security before you EVER see my face in there again!"

I will give the woman in his office credit in that she was equally appalled and she offered me a free coupon. I refused it, telling her it was just another opportunity for their employees to be inconvenienced by a customer and I refuse to intentionally put myself in that position!

I've traveled all over the country and it's pretty much the same everywhere I go. We were in Dayton, OH one day and I actually saw an employee roll her eyes at a customer! I said to hubby, in my calm and understanding LOUD voice, "DID YOU SEE WHAT SHE JUST DID!?" My kids are covering their eyes, saying, "Uh-oh, here she goes! She's gonna blow!"

(Did I mention that they REALLY hate going anywhere with me when we get bad service?)

Before y'all think I'm a total bag lady, I am a FABULOUS tipper when we get great service. And I always make a point to also let the manager know when we get good service. I feel it's so few and far between that the ones who DO do a great job, really deserve that extra appreciation!

Sorry this got long and off topic...... icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:40am
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Girl behind counter gets irritable, and informs my mother that KANSAS does not really exist, it's only on that movie....

It's me again, Margaret!

Hubby managed a bank lockbox, where payments were sent in and his dept had to log/post them. One lady brings him a check and tells him "This needs to go thru international." He asks why? She said, "Because it's a New MExico check!" She argued with him that New MExico was not part of the U.S. He had to pull out a map to show her!!!

So don't EVEN get me started on the downfall of the public school systems!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:48am
post #24 of 68

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Girl behind counter gets irritable, and informs my mother that KANSAS does not really exist, it's only on that movie....

It's me again, Margaret!.....

So don't EVEN get me started on the downfall of the public school systems!!

Uh.. yea... I served on our local school board for 4yrs, 3 of them as president. I ran for re-election, but lost due to my big mouth and boat rocking over this and other educational issues. Trust me, when a Notre Dame headed, honor student, who happens to be the doctor's son can't make change at the restaurant I owned, I made an issue over our math teaching.

Mistake for my politcal career, but dayum if I didn't sleep better at night when basic math skill classes were put back into the Jr. High level.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:55am
post #26 of 68

I have a different problem at my HL. They never have what you need when you need it. And you can count on the fact that it will be at least 2-3 weeks before it is in stock again. So, I've learned that if I even THINK I might need something to go ahead and get it when I see it.

I've been known to print 5 coupons and stop every day after work and get one item.

There is not a Michael's near me so I stock up on things I need when I go on things that HL doesn't have. Our AC Moore closed last spring and Joanne's closed several years ago.

Speaking of cashiers talking to their friends, I went into a grocery store in another town. It has a small college so they hire a lot of college students. They were all talking to one another and I went in 3 lines, no one even noticed they were so busy talking. Finally, in the 4th line, my presence was acknowledged.

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:19am
post #27 of 68

I was very unhappy at HL last week. I was planning a cake for the local fair this week so I decided to just try my hand for the first time with fondant, not feeing I am well versed enough to try MMF yet, So off I went to buy one of the large packages of fondant. I had a 40% off coupon in hand. I get to the check out after waiting for about 45 mins in line. I had a TON of flowers ( they were 50% off how could I say no) and my fondant and one other 99 cent paint brush. Well I put everything on the platform. I mention to the young lady I have a coupon. So she starts to ring my oder up fondant first, then the huge amount of flowers and finally the 99 cent paint brush. When she was near the end I handed her my coupon and she told me that she could only take it off the paint brush since she had not rang it up yet. I was upset it was the only reason I had bought the fondant there. She offered to rering my order but there was a HUGE line and I had aready taken up alot of time and just was mad at this point. So I guess my lesson learned.

Monica

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:28am
post #28 of 68

well in HL's defense this happens at every store ......I hate having those types of problems though I know it's aggrevating.

I appreciate and understand them being closed on Sunday's. They have a note on the doors saying why....*smile*

indydebi Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:42am
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh9080

Speaking of cashiers talking to their friends, I went into a grocery store in another town. It has a small college so they hire a lot of college students. They were all talking to one another and I went in 3 lines, no one even noticed they were so busy talking. Finally, in the 4th line, my presence was acknowledged.

Back in the day before scanners, when cashiers had to enter every price, hubby went to grocery. Cashier rang his order while talking the entire time to her friend. When she told him the total, he refused to pay it. He told her she wasn't paying attn and he wanted it rang up again. SHe called the mgr and told him hubby was refusing to pay for his order. Hubby said, "I am NOT refusing. I just am not confident that the total is correct since she was not paying attn. If you want me to pay for it, it will be re-rung. Otherwise you can put it all back." Mgr re-rang the order.

Side note: Hubby worked in personnel at a large bank in town. He refused to hire anyone who worked at this particular (local owned) grocery chain because of the terrible customer service he experienced. So it all goes to show that you never know when it just might bite you in the a$$.

AuntieElle Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:44am
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Before y'all think I'm a total bag lady, I am a FABULOUS tipper when we get great service. And I always make a point to also let the manager know when we get good service. I feel it's so few and far between that the ones who DO do a great job, really deserve that extra appreciation!

Agree 100% I was a waitress in college. Hardest job I ever had. When I get good service I am a great tipper too! thumbs_up.gif No matter how flustered I was or busy I would have never dreamed of rolling my eyes or being nasty to a customer. It was her attitude that I could have done without! I am an easy going kinda gal. Until you pi$$ me off of course. This just went all over me. She spoke as if I wasn't even there. "This lady blah blah blah blah." My DH thinks the downfall of the world is parents who are raising disrespectful children. He may be right. . .But don't tell him I said that.

Elle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%