Where Did You Learn Decorating??

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 2 Nov 2006 , 10:46pm by wendysue

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 24

At home, Wilton classes or other classes?? I'm just curious because there are so many talented people here and I'm so anxious to learn everything I can! I'm currently in Wilton Course 2 and in January I'm so happy to be taking a week long course from Toba Garrett! icon_biggrin.gif

Where did you all learn your best decorating from?? icon_smile.gif

23 replies
GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 24

I took a 5 class course at the culinary institute of NYC for cake decorating 1...and then I found this website and I just take it from there. Whenever I have a question I post it and its answered immediately. I also get tons of pointers and ideas from here. thank you CC'rs!!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 24

Self-taught from lots of books and this site - best college there is!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 24

CAKE CENTRAL........*note the level of my decorating skills does not necessarily indicate the lack of skills on Cake Centrals part* LOL

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 24

I bought a wilton character pan 26 years ago and followed the directions. Self taught for 26 years then came upon this site. Decided to take Wilton I & II all the while reading everything here. My classes improved greatly knowing this site was there to back me! Want to take Wilton III, but it's too busy of a season for me right now. I could probably do it reading this site and be fine!
Thank you CC!!!!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 24

Four years at Minneapolis College of Art and Design.

And I consider it cake art and not cake decorating to justify my student loans. icon_eek.gificon_evil.gif

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 24

I'm taking the wilton courses now, i start course II tonight! I plan on taking course 3 as well as the fondant course, and then next year I enroll in culinary school ! Can't wait!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 24

I took all of the Wilton classes in 2003. I did a little bit on my own for a year or so before that. After the classes, I got on line and just started soaking it all in. Also got some info from my aunt too. thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes2005 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 24

I started taking the Wilton courses because my hubby was too cheap to let my *buy* those cute character birthday cake for my kids. So I just learned to do it myself. Now I've taken all three of the Wilton classes, bought all kinds of pans, purchase the needed supplies, and have a cabinet full of cake decorating stuff. Little did my hubby know it would've been waaaaay cheaper to just let me buy the cute character cakes from the beginning! HA! HA! HA!

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 24

I took Wilton I, II, and III and two classes at Sweet Celebrations ( a cake supply store). Mostly I would say I've learned mostly from books and computer. I feel like I don't do too much from the Wilton classes.

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 24

My Grandmother and Mother decorated cakes ever since I can remember. I used to decorate plates with leftover icing!! I always told my Grandmother to save all her wilton character pans for me. She did...and Last year she walked me through many of her cake recipes & in August she passed away. She wanted me to keep her customers happy when she was gone. So, I have managed to do that and just recently I have become quite obsessed!!

I would LOVE to take classes, but we don't have any craft stores or anything around here. I have considered driving an hour away to take some because there are so many things I would love to improve on!! Of course, since I have discovered CC, I've already learned a lot of things I didn't know!!!

Natali3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natali3 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 24

I am learning on my own. Started for my kids B'day and made cakes for friends and family.
Since I found CC I have learned so much and I keep trying to learn more, I guess it shows in my cakes, because every once in a while I get cake orders from strangers. I love it.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 24

WOW!! You guys are great! Self taught for a lot of you - along with this site, that's amazing! I agree, that this site is a wonderful resource! The best! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 24

When I was a kid I had one lesson from my 5th grade teacher. (my mother and her were friends)

Then fast forward 30 years later or so, LOL. From that cake board.net mostly and from here. And many books and lots of practice. : ) (still need practice, LOL)

4DS4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4DS4Me Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:28pm
post #15 of 24

I took Wilton class #1, and am currently finishing class #2, and signed up for class #3. I plan on taking Wilton #4 when it starts in Feb. My instructor said we get to start doing gum paste. Yeah.

I also have been getting a lot of motivation from this web site. You ladies do beautiful work. The reason I started was so I can make my 4 DS birthday cakes, instead of paying outrageous $$ for bland store bought cakes.

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm
post #16 of 24

I began looking for ideas on the internet for my daughters 3rd bday. She wanted Dora and I did not want a plain sheet cake. So I googled for cake ideas, thus found cake centrals site. I stood by and read night after night all the postings and looking at pictures. It just truly inspired me. I never knew I wanted to attempt cakes until I came here. Then I realized by reading on here that Michaels offered classes so I called them and booked myself for Course I. I was less than impressed (thats another story) so I did not continue any other classes but stayed on this site and continued to ask alot of questions, practiced and eventually I did my daughters Dora cake. The response from my family and friends were so amazing and I was getting orders from them. I still need alot of practice and I really need to branch out on other ideas too. But basically I learned how to make better icing (than the wiltons) smooth my cake, stack, dowel, decorate etc. all from here.! Hope this helps!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 24

I saw someone's MySpace page, and she had just done a wedding cake. I had always been interested in cake decorating and had tried my hand at it a few times before, but was not as into it as I am now. I sent her a message asking her where she learned and she pointed me to CC. I have been addicted ever since and have been learning so much and practicing even more!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #18 of 24

Took all three Wilton cake courses, plus their gumpaste class....and then a more serious gumpaste class which was NOT Wilton methods. Also, by reading and studying the cakes of the "masters"... LOL The internet is a huge source of info. Heck~ Cake Central is a HUGE source of info!

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 24

I to started to do my kids birthdays and then a friend wanted on, then another, and someone who knew someone. I took Wilton 1 and 2 because I wanted to learn how to make roses and stuff. After taking them, I felt that I really didnt' get anything but one or two good things out of them. But I kept reading what I could and tried different things. In January of this year I had the opportunity to work in a local shoppe and I learned A LOT there. But I'm now back at the Insurance office I worked at previously just because it works better with my families schedule.

This site is VERY helpful and is a great learning tool!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #20 of 24

Self taught, I guess. I just started doing them and watched a couple of videos and bought a few books before I started looking to the internet. I enjoy arts and crafts and this was right in line with that.

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:40pm
post #21 of 24

I've always been interested in cake decorating and I'm currently enrolled in a class at the local arts council. But I've learned more on CC than anywhere else. This site IS addictive!

*alicia*

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:43pm
post #22 of 24

self taught. I started with my kid's birthday cakes and since I found this site it has given me the courage and confidence to try new techniques (mmf for example) and make cakes for other people. I LOVE learning by trial and error. icon_biggrin.gif

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #23 of 24

I have taken Wilton 1 & 2. I did my dtrs wedding cakes (have to post pics). I plan on taking class 3 after the first of the yr. I have seen so many amazing pics of cakes and cookies. I can't wait to try cookies. How do you all keep off weight with making all these goodies? I think this site is awesome and I have a hard time during work not to check it out at any free moment....lol

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:46pm
post #24 of 24

I started with the Wilton classes and then taught myself everything else. Well, I should say that Cake Central taught me everything else! They should call this the Cake Central Institute for Advanced Cake Decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%