BarbaraK Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 8:04am
post #1 of

Looking through the photo galleries it would seem that a lot of cakes, cupcakes, cookies are brought to give out at your children's school, kinder, etc. At my children's school the parents are discouraged from bringing any food to share because many children have allergies. I would love to make some of the pretty cupcakes and so on but have to be soooooo careful.
How do you deal with it in your school?

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 2:06pm
post #2 of

We have the same rules in my son's school...No Treats for any occasion!!! I hand them out outside when they are letting the kids go.I also volunteered to make dessert for the staff on the evening of parent teacher interviews!!!

chocomama Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:34pm
post #3 of

None of the schools here allow anything but prepackaged treats. It's sad that we can't do what our moms did for us. I will say that the teachers always appreciate any treat they are given.

LucyintheSky Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:39pm
post #4 of

That's so sad! I'm a teacher and I always bring my cakes and cupcakes as treats for my students. There is no policy against any of that and they are perfect people to practice on... plus good for the ego, they always think everything I make is gorgeous, lol! The only restriction we have is that we're officially a "peanut free school" because of allergies.

dl5crew Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:45pm
post #5 of

I ask if there is a child with an allergy. This is because my cousin is deathly allergic to peanuts & a friend's little boy is deathly allergic to milk.
I think it's a shame that some of you can't take in goodies. i cerntainly will not take this for granted now. My girls teachers love my chocolate cupcakes.

lauramw71 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:02am
post #6 of

I just moved to a small town that DOES allow homemade treats thank goodness. The BIG city i moved from did NOT allow it. And it wasnt because of allergies, it was because hepatitis i think. could have been something else but I know it was some kind of illness. Thank goodness for small towns lol

CoutureCake Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:17am
post #7 of

I think it's hard as a school especially when there are factors to consider that all of us in the food industry work with but the person on the street wouldn't think about, like handling the puppy or cat... I know people who wipe their dog's tushie without thinking of washing their hands before handling food (GROSS! I know, but we have all learned "don't eat at ___'s house or anything s/he brings")..

My niece's school has a child with a peanut allergy, and honestly, it's not THAT hard to accomodate when it comes to the holidays or bringing home-baked treats in. At least for us, we've got the utensils/pans/bowls that don't come in contact with any form of peanut. It's not hard to do, just have to be on your toes.

But, as the saying goes, there's no common in common sense.. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

chocomama Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:29am
post #8 of

I agree with CoutureCake. I think the cleanliness thing has a lot to do with it and, frankly, I'm not upset about the policy. While it's sad that it has to be this way, I think it's probably for the best. Some people do the grossest things, kwim?!

heavenscent Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:36am
post #9 of

thats a shame my daughter is only 2 so I have a while before I have to worry about that. Hopefully I will not run into the same issue

cake2decorate Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:38am

Our school has a "no home made" policy and I can see their point. Only inspected kitchens/bakeries are allowed.

moydear77 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm

We can do baked goods for bakesales but not in classroom consumption. I think it is fine. If I child were to get sick it could be a huge liability. As far as nut allergy go through all your ingredients. I do a nut free cake for a client. You would not believe how hard it is to keep nuts out of a cake. I had to go through each ingredient.

noreen816 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:49pm

I dont have any kids yet but I was really looking forward to having them bring in cakes, cupckaes and cookies . I wonder if their future school with have these restrictions. I understand the policy and it makes sense but it is ashame. Maybe if I have my bakery up and running I can still send in some deserts icon_smile.gif

LukeRubyJoy Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:56pm

We have the same set-up in my son's school, but not my daughter's....they are in the same small district (4 elementary schools, 1 middle, 1 high). My son's school does not permit any homemade product, while my daughter's has no such restriction. Wierd, huh?

We can back for bake sales and fundraisers though....hhmmmm... curious.

It does make me sad for all the aforementioned reasons.

sweetviolent Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:56pm

where I am in NY it is rooted more in recent hepatitas (sp) outbreaks-It is a smart rule-but its also to bad as a child i loved bringing in te goodies my mom took the time to bake!

OhMyGoodies Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:58pm

I live in a smallISH town, they are trying to make it much bigger then we all want, we want to keep the small home town 'know everyone by face most by name' type place but they aren't having it lol.

Anyway when my daughter was in "Head Start" preschool I wasn't allowed to MAKE anything, everything had to be store bought, store bought cakes cupcakes cookies etc. or prepackaged was even better.

She's now in 2nd grade and I cleared it with her teacher before the party and RSVP'ed that I'm a cake decorator and baker and asked if it was allowed and ok for me to bake and decorate a cake or two to bring in and she said yes very happily lol.

Now as far as my opinion on the PreSchool situation, IMO you don't know what the heck is being done in those pre-packaging factories and I'm sorry I'd rather my child eat something home made from someone we can all trust, and who has a nice reputation then to risk her getting sick from something like the most recent being a spinach scare... Just my opinion icon_smile.gif

mdutcher Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:01pm

My kids' school just implemented this policy this year!! I was soooooooo disappointed! So for the school treat, I just bring in popsicles or icecream bars....The kids LOVE that! I do still send in samples of my cake truffles and other goodies for their teachers and make them treat baskets for the holidays!!! They really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%