Refridgerate Or Not To Refridergate??

Decorating By SCGIRLZ Updated 1 Nov 2006 , 5:15pm by springlakecake

SCGIRLZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCGIRLZ Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 2

I recently made my first decorative cake and used the My easy chocolate buttercream frosting to cover my cake and made my roses with the buttercream dream recipe. The actual buttercream dream recipe does not say anything about refrigerating although it contains milk and the easy chocolate buttercream says "keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use." Does anyone know of a general rule as far as frosting/icing goes when milk is involved? Some recipes clearly state when refridgeration is required and others don't. Is it safe to assume if refridgeration is not mentioned that it is not required? I have read somewhere that a certain amount of sugar stabalizes the milk but I don't know where I read it. Can anyone help?? I do NOT want to refriderate if it isn't necessary!

1 reply
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 2

No you dont have to refrigerate a icing that has milk in it (I assume we are talking about a few tablespoons per batch?) I think the general rule is 2-3 days out of the fridge, up to 2 weeks in the fridge. I have left mine out for longer and it has been fine as well.

I wouldnt assume though that just because it doesnt say refrigerate that it can stay out of the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%