Stacking Cakes Iced With Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By pinkincolorado Updated 26 May 2005 , 7:15pm by CDhartman

pinkincolorado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkincolorado Posted 30 Jan 2005 , 7:01am
post #1 of 6

I just joined the forum, and am learning sooo much already !!! I've been decorating cakes for a few years now. I used to use a crusting buttercream, with butter, shortening, and powdered sugar. I've recently discovered meringue buttercreams, and others that use a hot syrup mixture mixed into either egg whites or yolks, and then finished off with butter. While this type of icing yields very smooth finishes, I'm wondering, how would you stack several cakes on top of one another (like for a wedding cake) when the cakes are so fragile that any little touches would definitely "show" on the cake?? Would you assemble first, then frost?? I'm confused... help!!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure what to do here. Do you pour the icing onto the cakes?

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 6

You could assemble first and frost if the design of the cake let's you. If not, use a large spatula...two if you've got'em. Slide them under the cake board and gently lift the cakes to set them on top of one another. The idea is to try not to touch the cakes so you don't mess up the finish.

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 6

I would refrigerate the cakes first once you have iced each tier. These buttercreams become very hard in the fridge so you should have no problems icon_smile.gif

heavenlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlycakes Posted 26 May 2005 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 6

I use meringue buttercream only when frosting - even under fondant. I frost, then put in the fridge for my wedding cakes. The frosting will get very hard (just slightly softer than butter) so when you stack your cakes, you don't have to worry about marking it - unless you hit it with your nail of course icon_eek.gif. If you look at my gallery, you'll see all the wedding cakes I did with Italian meringue buttercream. I try to stack the day of the event, then delivery isn't as scary either. By the time they cut the cake, it's soft and creamy again.

luceymoose - you frost the cake with it as if it were a crusting buttercream.... it's only the sugar that is syrup, once butter is added, it's creamy.

Tara

CDhartman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CDhartman Posted 26 May 2005 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 6

Please post the Meringue Buttercreme recipe or provide a link to it. I can't find it in the recipe section.

Thanks a bunch.
Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%