What To Wear?

Business By FlowerGirlMN Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 1:49am by cheftracy

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 4:39pm
post #61 of 100

a pate a bombe is egg yolks whipped up with a hot sugar syrup (usually heated to the hard ball stage). It the base for a lot of things.. french butter cream.. mousses.. etc.

I have no problem with anyone wearing a chef's jacket. Don't go out and get yourself an executive chef's jacket with the hat to match, but a generic chef's jacket is fine. Don't tell everyone you have gone to culinary school.. but I see no problem with wearing a jacket. I worked in a restaurant where everyone behind the scenes wore jackets.. EVERYONE.

I plan on getting one made for myself for cake deliveries. A pale blue one with my company logo on it. I'm not going to call myself a chef.. not going to write "Chef Jeanne" on it.. but I want to look professional. I have spent many years working on my cooking skills.. and I have worked in a restaurant where I was doing the job of a "chef".. I have a lot of skills that the average person doesn't. All that said I have no issue with ANYONE wearing a chef's jacket.. especially since it was the dishwasher's uniform too.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #62 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneysCustomCakes

I give anyone who goes out there to try to make something of themselves without all the fancy training, and are succeeding High regard. There is something to be said about someone who hasn't had the formal training who can do exactly what the formally trained can do. I think that is a great success.

You see, that is the point. It's not "exactly what the formally trained" can do. It's like stealing the pictures of someone else's cake, based on the assumption that you could make a cake that looks like that. It projects something that you are not.

There is no doubt that CC is a forum made up mostly of hobbiest bakers who value the look of a cake more than the quality of the ingredients. That is fine, but everyone should realize that most pastry professionals ( and the pastry degree is even harder than just regular old culinary school) would be wildly offended by you saying that what you make with Duncan Hines and Sour cream is "exactly the same" as a recipe they spent six months developing.

What any of this has to do with wearing a chef's coat or not is beyond me. For what it is worth, I am not offended by people wearing a chef's coat, I just think it is not the best marketing option for every cake baker.

And my coat doesn't say Chef Katrina...It says "she who must be obeyed"

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm
post #63 of 100

LMAO Katrina.. I need one that says that for me to wear around the house!!

I totally understand wha you are saying and don't find it offensive at all. And I am a hobbyist baker.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:07pm
post #64 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

LMAO Katrina.. I need one that says that for me to wear around the house!!.

hahahaha! In my house, that's a given!!

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:17pm
post #65 of 100

We try to shoot for a contemporary look to our business. I also feel it is VERY important to "look the part" and dress professionally. We wear black tops and black pants, or skirts with Black shoes or boots. We all wear our black bib aprons with our pink logo on them. My husband who obviously would look-well feminine, wears black clothing with his black chef coat with our company logo on it and his black head bandanna! Brides and other caterers always tell us how nice we look. None of us are chefs, but we all have advance training on cake decorating. We do not wear our names on us or say "chef"-But I do feel it is important to look like you have it together! There is nothing at all wrong with that...just my 2 cents!!! thumbs_up.gif

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:04pm
post #66 of 100

"You see, that is the point. It's not "exactly what the formally trained" can do. It's like stealing the pictures of someone else's cake, based on the assumption that you could make a cake that looks like that. It projects something that you are not. "

If they can do than they are. With or without the training. And If they are that good than they have every right to call themselves what ever they want, and get the respect they deserve. They are not stealing anything. They are just good at what they do.

I admittedly am not a Chef, have never caller myself one. I am a Cake Decorator. I enjoy what I do and I enjoy learning new things. I have taught myself most of what I know and I know there is more that I can learn. But I think there is more that everyone can learn. I do use boxed mix that I turn into what I want. I don't make anyone elses cakes, I do gather Ideas and create my own. I do not wear a Coat (looks too uncomfortable IMO) And I get High complements on what I do from High Class and not so. I've served to Millionaires and Underprivelaged. And I treat everyone the same. I have a loyal Clientel that I will not give up and it keeps getting bigger with every order. And I am working very hard to get to where I know I am going. And there is nothing wrong with that, for me or for anyone else for that matter.

I'm glad you and others have had the training. From that we can learn. Yes having the training makes you better (scholasticly,). But it does not make any one better than anyone else. I'm glad you have the confidence to feel as such. But we can be just as confident.

We are all here for the love of cake decorating. And to see what else is out there. Not to knock people who are doing a great job, just pecause they don't have the same training.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:37am
post #67 of 100

I have something to say! icon_biggrin.gif

I thought about this sine my last post in this thread.

I have decided the following:

To me white & black are for those at the top of the game. Those are the expensive and intimidating ones.

If some one were in a pink, purple, orange, tie-dye, or fucia chef style jacket I would not consider them "top of the game professional" but "polished and professional"

I will get one at some point but in a color. I hate polo shirts and dress up shirts just aren't me. I'm not comfy in them and won't wear them. A chef jacket though... I could have a tee shirt or tank top on and be comfy.

It will have my logo, company name and first name.

I may get one for hubby with titles on them mine can be "boss" and his title "not the boss"

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:48am
post #68 of 100

CarolynGwen-"I may get one for hubby with titles on them mine can be "boss" and his title "not the boss"-
I like that...I will have to remember that! icon_lol.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:42am
post #69 of 100

I agree with a previous poster to look neat and clean no matter what you decide to wear.

Here's why: in my department at work, we do a lot of luncheons and there are two of us who usually order or make recommendations on which catering company to use. The caterers we use/recommend the most are the ones who dress neatly when they make the delivery. Only one of those wears a chef jacket and black pants. The companies we use/recommend the least are ones where the employees delivering are wearing scruffy jeans, old faded t-shirts, and flip flops that have seen better days.

JMHO......

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:29am
post #70 of 100

I agree and disagree with the posts I have read. That's the beauty of "agree to disagree". I'm a nurse and see people who wear scrubs at jobs that are not in the medical/dental field (hair dressers, day care workers, cafeteria workers) and used wonder why???? Back in the day scrubs were pretty tacky (imo) but now there are some that are really cute. I realized COMFORT! It's like wearing your pajamas to work! KathiK posted a cute pic, love all the coats on the site. I can see why some women choose to wear them as RTW. I say wear what you are comfortable in.
On the you haven't earned the right to wear it note. . .(Not that I am offended, just thought I'd share). . .My husband works in Air-Medical Transport and has a slew of letters after his name. (Me and my paycheck wish I had just 1/2 of them ahahaha). . .On their coats, a company logo on the back, a heilcopter on the left breast and name on the right. EVERYONE from Accounting to Flight Crews got the same coat. Let me tell you, this stirred up a hornet's nest! My Husband told me that several Flight Crew members were deeply offended that employees with no medical education at all had the helicopter on their coats. How dare they, they hadn't earned the right to have that on their coats. This really bothered my DH, they were all part of the same team. Maybe not doing the same job or doing it the same way but a team nonetheless. You can't please everyone all the time. I say go with what ya like. Thats what I do.
I can also see the point of those who have Culinary degrees. I'm not sure if it's the same but if I saw a a Nurse's cap on someone's head, I'm not sure I'd be bothered but would maybe wonder why they were wearing it. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am very proud of my profession and education.
As a matter of fact, I own a pink Chef's coat. It was a gift from my sweet ex-b/f who was a chef himself. He said he thought I'd look cute in it. Ladies, thanks for speaking your minds! I love to read a great debate! Sorry for being so long winded.

Elle

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:47am
post #71 of 100
Quote:
Quote:

There is no doubt that CC is a forum made up mostly of hobbiest bakers who value the look of a cake more than the quality of the ingredients.[

I have been quietly reading this post, but feel a need to add my 2 cents. It's definitely getting way off the subject. Just because someone bakes and decorates as a hobby and has not had formal training does not mean they can't make a great tasting cake and don't care about the "quality of the ingredients". I have been baking for at least 35 years. I think 35 years experience counts for something! I care very much about the quality of the ingredients I use. I bake from scratch and yes I don't mind using Duncan Hines with sour cream at times. Formal training does not guarentee a good quality cake!

Back to the subject of the thread. Wear whatever makes you most comfortable.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:52am
post #72 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

Hope this isn't too dumb a question, but..

Thoughts? I hate dressy shirts, so I'm sorta looking for an excuse to not have to do that!

no question is a dumb one when u want an answer! i too hate what i think of as dressy shirts or blouses--old school style, heck not even granny style LOL

i love the shirt you picked out, just make sure that it's comfy--have a blast & let us know how it goes!!!!

i'm sooo jealous icon_biggrin.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:05am
post #73 of 100

LOL...silly thread this has become......

meredetrois Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredetrois Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:43pm
post #74 of 100
Quote:

Yikes guys. No consensus at all! LOL.

I picked this up today - it's close on to blue, and looks really nice on me. The color is perfect for me, and it doesn't look too matronly. I'm not even 30 yet, but most fat chick clothing looks like it was made for those 50+.

Is this dressy enough though? It's the only thing I could find that looked even halfway acceptable! I'm thinking I'll pair this with nice black pants and maybe a necklace/earrings set. The shirt looks nicer in person, it's a beautiful teal color:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1188778622/ref=sr_1_1/601-3448190-7722532?ie=UTF8&asin=B000OZHZWW

I really like that shirt. It would go well with a chocolate color pant as well. icon_biggrin.gif

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #75 of 100

I really like it too. I think you will do a really good job.

cCc

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:38pm
post #76 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

I feel that a chef jacket is a CHEF's jacket for someone who studied to earn it. I expect the knowledge to be underneat the jacket, the same way a doctor has earned their jacket and scrubs.

I feel if you have a nice plain shirt with your logo it, would perfect.

Good Luck

Just remember... the MD's coat is the same as the Butcher's coat if you go to the Uniform supply store icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ... And a lot of janitors wear nurse's scrubs...

It's not what you're wearing that makes a point, you could be at a nudist colony and still be able to make the same point. Like others have said, the purpose of the jacket is to keep your clothes and body clean/protected under it regardless of whether you went to medical school or for meat science..

It's not the jacket that makes the baker. But one thing is for sure, no one bothers me when I've got it on and am delivering a cake!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:43pm
post #77 of 100

I have earned (and paid dearly for) the "right to wear a chef coat"... but I've never been offended by anyone else wearing them. Someone else wearing one doesn't affect me one bit.

Like I say to my kids when they come running to me over their petty little arguments (you know - the "He looked at me!", "She touched my Gameboy!", etc.): "Show me where on your body it hurts you, and then I'll care". It is not hurting "real" (and I use the term loosely) chefs one bit.

It's a piece of clothing that in addition to protecting your clothing, represents a seriousness to the craft. I also wear an apron as part of my "uniform"... should no one else be allowed to wear those?

A chef's coat does project a certain image - so the only thing you need to decide is whether or not that's the image you are comfortable with, and whether or not you are comfortable working in one.

Period.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:21pm
post #78 of 100

I was in the military. Everyone wears camo these day. I don't think they have been trained in military combat. Camo is pretty darned ugly but if they want to wear it. Go ahead.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:57pm
post #79 of 100

I wore scrubs as part of my uniform for the hospital I worked in, but I'm not a nurse, just a measily medical transcriptionist. The nurses were actually jealous of us because we were allowed to wear the cute ones in the patterns when they were only allowed to wear plain navy blue and/or white. icon_smile.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:52am
post #80 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I wore scrubs as part of my uniform for the hospital I worked in, but I'm not a nurse, just a measily medical transcriptionist. The nurses were actually jealous of us because we were allowed to wear the cute ones in the patterns when they were only allowed to wear plain navy blue and/or white. icon_smile.gif

At the hospital that I delivered DD at, they had this going as well but they could wear whatever overcoat they wanted in order to stay warm.. Each department had a uniform color on any given day and were issued their scrubs upon arrival. This included EVERYONE from front desk personnel to MD's, to the Janitor... More than anything else, it's just a way to distinguish staff from members of the public just as one hospital around here requires you to get a bracelet before you go in for a CT..

Another thought is in our Food Manager's Certification and even in the state's food code, one of the major things discussed to help prevent bioterrorism and for a HACCP plan, is have a uniform policy for staff. So in essense, if a company has all kitchen related staff wearing the jacket, it can also be seen in that respect as well. I'm reading Roland Mesner's (sp?) book right now and they discussed the attire difference of chef jackets that determined where on the food chain a specific person is.

It's not justifying anything, it's just like when the green beret's were in a huff about the fact that the entire Army was switching over to berets instead of the caps they had been wearing...

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:03pm
post #81 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

It's not justifying anything, it's just like when the green beret's were in a huff about the fact that the entire Army was switching over to berets instead of the caps they had been wearing...

My ex-Army hubby didn't like that either. I didn't like it just because I didn't like the way they looked on the guys! icon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:00pm
post #82 of 100

I am so going to buy these as my delivery pants.

and wear it with one of my favorite colors

Now that ought t give you gals something to talk about! icon_lol.gif

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:06pm
post #83 of 100

I love those pants! LOL!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:20pm
post #84 of 100

Lets see if I can make this even more contreversal. If you are delivering a cake and need to set it up. I have a 6 tier wedding cake to do in November, I do not have help for delivery so I will have to carry it in seperate tiers and assemble on site. I have no culinary training but want to look nice in case guests see me. But I know I will end up with frosting (among other things I'm sure) on my clothes. Am I allowed to wear a chef's coat, if it's not white and does not say Chef? Do I have to wear a Polo shirt, which I feel is too casual for a wedding. What if I am staying to serve the cake so guests will surely see me as a part of the wedding? I cannot be expected to cut cake and set up in a nice dress (or suit) can I? I am guessing too that a nice buttom up oxford style shirt would be too contricting when trying to raise my arms above my head to put that top tier on the cake.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:44pm
post #85 of 100

I'd say for delivery, set up, and cutting, CLEARLY the catering / "chef" coat is most appropriate.

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:53pm
post #86 of 100

I also have had polo shirts made with my logo as well as aprons. For the spring and summer, polo shirts and for fall/winter nice long sleeve "oxford" shirt with logo. Each would be paired with black Dockers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:59pm
post #87 of 100
Quote:

I'd say for delivery, set up, and cutting, CLEARLY the catering / "chef" coat is most appropriate.

My staff wears black pants with black or white tops and I provide matching red aprons for everyone at our weddings. The red and black look great together, they are functional, and it's easy for guests to spot us if they need help with anything. The black gives it a dressy look and everyone looks "uniform" without anyone having to buy a uniform.

When I am functioning as "the boss" (At very large events or at events at certain facilities, I have my on-site supv to handle the actual operation while I just "oversee" ..... otherwise known as standing around looking important icon_wink.gif ), I wear black skirt, black top and a long red jacket.

(I like red.)

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:06pm
post #88 of 100

Glad I read this forum, since I am a Wilton Instructor (and have been for around 8 years) I have been given an option of choosing/purchasing a chefs coat with the Wilton emblem on it. I was thinking about getting this but maybe I shouldnt, I do not even know how to cook!!!!! I just do darn good cakes. But my first thought on this "coat" was that it looks sterile and clean. So I say do whatever you want as far as how to dress, I personally think it looks professional no matter what your degree of cooking. But since I burn green beans maybe I shouldnt even consider it!!!!!

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:06pm
post #89 of 100

Glad I read this forum, since I am a Wilton Instructor (and have been for around 8 years) I have been given an option of choosing/purchasing a chefs coat with the Wilton emblem on it. I was thinking about getting this but maybe I shouldnt, I do not even know how to cook!!!!! I just do darn good cakes. But my first thought on this "coat" was that it looks sterile and clean. So I say do whatever you want as far as how to dress, I personally think it looks professional no matter what your degree of cooking. But since I burn green beans maybe I shouldnt even consider it!!!!!

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:07pm
post #90 of 100

I agree, I think the jacket is a bit intimidating , nice black slacks and a dressy white shirt would do best, in my opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%