Water Lilly

Decorating By allycook Updated 22 Nov 2011 , 8:42pm by jgifford

allycook Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have directions or a tutorial for water lillies? If not what kind of flower do you think it would resemble?

5 replies
ozcake Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 6

Allycook,

ok this is a bit long but here are some notes on how I did my waterlily.

1. First thing I did was look up pics of water lilies to find something to use as a guide, then I used info from a couple of different books because I couldnt find one that had exactly what I wanted in it.

2. I used the templates from Mary Medways book Cake decorating an Edible Art it is a really old book. They are basically a leaf shape with a flat bottom in five graduating sizes cut 4 of the largest, then 8, then 4, then 6 and finally 6 of the smallest. I didn't follow the instructions in that book because I didnt think her waterlily (particulary the way she did the middle was very realistic looking)

3. Trace the templates out or paper or card and then use them to cut out the gumpaste with a scalpel (make a few extra petals as I broke a couple over all).

4. Treat them like how you would do other flowers use a ball or dogbone tool on the paste to get rid of the cut out look and give it some shape and depth.

5. Dry them over something curved, I used ½ a sytrofoam ball for the bigger ones and spoons (dusted with icing sugar or cornflour so they dont stick) for the smaller ones. Once they seem to be holding the shape I shifted them to some of that dimpled foam to dry completely.

6. Dust your petals with the colour you want I used pink and then added a tiny bit of snowflake luster dust (brushed on dry- gave it a slight sheen)

7. Use a very small ball of gumpaste and flatten it and then insert the larger petals into it then keeping adding rows of petals (larger first then working way to the smaller ones) attached with royal icing and separated with cotton balls or small bits of foam to hold them in place while the royal dries. I put mine in a small bowl with a gentle curve shape to dry

8. For the centre I couldnt find anything in any books that suited so I made up my own using photos of water lilies as a guide. I made a ball of gumpaste in yellow and then pinched up one end a little to make it kind of cone shaped then flattened the other end. I rolled out strips of gumpaste and then put a row of small cuts (kind of like a fringe) and rolled the cut edges a little to make them rounded. I then wrapped it around the middle part and built it up with a couple of rows. I kind of played with it until it looked right and once it was dry secured it in the middle with royal icing.

9. For the lily pad I just cut a circle shape and then cut a v out of it and used a ball tool make it look a bit more real then dusted it.

10. Put the lily pad on the cake and put the water lily on top (the lily will be quite delicate so be careful not to break it).

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Morgana-rose Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 8:23am
post #3 of 6

i have been looking weeks on how to make water lilly and ive finally found it thank you

milkmaid42 Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

Ozcake, I loved your water lily. When I made mine, (in my photos), I used the directions in Scott Clark Woolley's book, "Cakes by Design". Fortunately, I already had the book, but your directions are very easy to picture. I like the way you figured out the center. Kudos!
It is a beautiful cake, well done.

Jan

soledad Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 6

HTH

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

CIAO

jgifford Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 6

Check the new photos for today - - FondOfCakes added a photo of a 2 Tier Wedding Cake with Magnolia and Bamboo - which is gorgeous, by the way - to me her magnolia looks a lot like a water lilly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%