Need Tips On How To Make A Rainbow Trout Fish Cake

Decorating By frosting111 Updated 4 Jun 2013 , 3:23pm by JDelaney

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 20

I'll be using this pan, to make a surprise B/day cake for hubby on the 11th...I believe my most sought after question is how to make the lips and head gulls..I looked threw the gallery's and found some great ideas to go by but, would still like more accurate tips via anyone who has made one or has some good tips to offer regarding making one...I'll be covering the cake with fondant icing, colored a light gray, and it appears the scales are made using the base of a decorating tip..looks as though starting from the base of the tail upwards,right?.....I will use my icing colors to form the rainbow stripes and edible black pen for the dots...any helpful tips and tricks will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Happy Halloween, Mary birthday.gif
LL

19 replies
frosting111 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 20

Bumping topic

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 20

Gee, I hope you get an answer, I just found this pan. My question is if the tail will get done way before the rest because it is so shallow.
Maybe if I bump you, someone can help us BOTH out. icon_biggrin.gif

frosting111 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Gee, I hope you get an answer, I just found this pan. My question is if the tail will get done way before the rest because it is so shallow.
Maybe if I bump you, someone can help us BOTH out. icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't even think of that..so it may be a good idea to cook with this pan on a lower oven temperature...Hope we get some feed back..Thanks for the bumpicon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 1:11am
post #5 of 20

I made a striped bass cake similar to that - you can see it in my photos. The head of the fish doesn't have the scales, so i made an indent in the fondant for the gills and from there used the base of the icing tip for the scales. The lips were just a snake of fondant. Fins/tail were fondant that i frayed with a paring knife and let dry a bit on wadded paper towels to make ruffle-y.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:42am
post #6 of 20

I'm curious how yours turns out, frosting111. I just bought the same pan and am planning on making it soon too.

KimAZ

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:48am
post #7 of 20

I'd place it on a cookie sheet to bake as well as turning the oven down to 325. That should help.

Colette Peters has a fish cake in her book "Colette's Cakes The Art of Cake Decorating". Maybe you could find it at the library or a book store. I don't have a scanner, or I'd send it to you.

frosting111 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffysma

I'd place it on a cookie sheet to bake as well as turning the oven down to 325. That should help.

has a fish cake in her book "Colette's Cakes The Art of Cake Decorating". Maybe you could find it at the library or a book store. I don't have a scanner, or I'd send it to you.

Thanks bunches..I just checked on line and my Library has this book and I put in a request for it just now..don't ya just love cyber space? icon_smile.gif

frosting111 Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

I'm curious how yours turns out, frosting111. I just bought the same pan and am planning on making it soon too.

KimAZ

I'll make sure to post pictures ASAP, and if you like be sure to PM me and I'll be more than happy to share any tips and tricks I leaned while making this one icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 4:06am
post #10 of 20

Ow-ooooooooo!!! Image
Anyone ever made one of these? 3 People looking for any tips or a picture from someone who has... insert large-eyed whimpering puppy here
B U M P ! ! !

frosting111 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 7:02am
post #11 of 20

Heres the finished product...the cake is Red Velvet,w/ Cream Cheese White Chocolate icing and covered with fondant and luster dusted detals.

I was very pleased with how this cake turned out...Thanks to you all for your help icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

7yyrt Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 7:03am
post #12 of 20

You did it! I saw the picture in the gallery. Very pretty(I never thought I'd say a fish was pretty). Did you have any trouble?
edited to say - HA ! We were typing at the same time. icon_biggrin.gif

frosting111 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 7:17am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

You did it! I saw the picture in the gallery. Very pretty(I never thought I'd say a fish was pretty). Did you have any trouble?
edited to say - HA ! We were typing at the same time. icon_biggrin.gif

It was no trouble at all, it was very simple once I got started on it...I mixed Moss Green and a tad of black into the fondant I laid over the body and then highlighted with dry silver and pink luster dust...the cake is red velvet, so I can imagine what that will look like when hubby cuts into it icon_smile.gif

I also did a web search and printed out pictures of Rainbow Trout's to get the fins and coloring as accurate as I could...Hope you have a Wonderfully Spirit Filled Day, Mary birthday.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 20

Your fish is fin-tastic! I'm planning to get one of these pans for my hubby's birthday in January (though yours is much prettier than anything he's ever brought home from a fishing trip!). For how long and at what temp did you cook the cake?

Kelly

frosting111 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:46am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly75

Your fish is fin-tastic! I'm planning to get one of these pans for my hubby's birthday in January (though yours is much prettier than anything he's ever brought home from a fishing trip!). For how long and at what temp did you cook the cake?

Kelly

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

I cooked the cake on 325 for about 45 minutes...and kept a close watch to make sure I didnt burn the tail...other than that making this cake was a breeze icon_smile.gif

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #16 of 20

Your fish turned out great!! Good job!! I'm very impressed!!!

frosting111 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:57am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffysma

Your fish turned out great!! Good job!! I'm very impressed!!!

Thank You icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 2:29pm
post #18 of 20

Great job! Love the speckles!

frosting111 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Great job! Love the speckles!

Thanks....I researched Rainbow Trout's and printed out some pictures of them and they were all speckled,so I took my edible marker pen and added that to my cake as well...I wanted to make sure I had the fish as correct as I could with the fins and colors...my hubby loves to fish and Rainbow Trout is his favorite..so I wanted it to be as close to real as I could get it yet animated as well.

JDelaney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JDelaney Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 3:23pm
post #20 of 20

Where did you find that pan?!?! I need to make a cake that looks like that and am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to get the shape. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%