Chocolate Transfers...can Someone Help Me...

Decorating By TiffTurtle Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm by NEWTODECORATING

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 7:25am
post #1 of 19

ok , i have tried and no matter what i do i cant get the side of teh transfer that will show to b smooth...i have used waxed paper and over projector sheets and its just not working, and the sad thing is it is a very simple image...can anyone give me some tips..ideas...anything. I need to do 1 and 1/2 dozen UNC logos to go on cookies for sat. and i thought that the CT would look really nice.

thanks yall!

18 replies
AMW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMW Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 11:46am
post #2 of 19

I think Parchment works better to keep them smooth. The heat and moisture can do a number on the wax.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 19

I press down a bit on the "back side" with a skinny spatula while still warm and soft to make sure it's all pushed down and no air bubbles. It also seems to work better for me if the chocolate is pretty thin.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 19

I use a plastic (clear) report cover. They always come out very smooth and shiney. You transfer will pick up the texture of the surface you are working on. Just be sure your transfer is completely hardened before removing it. I pop mine in the freezer or fridge for a few minutes, otherwise I would probably leave it 20-30 minutes because I do mine pretty thick. If you take it off too early some of the chocolate will stick and pull off the front of your transfer. If you are getting bubbles, you can try to look underneath the plastic to see where they are and carefully smoosh or swirl the chocolate in that area. I usually end up with a bubble or two, but sometimes i get lucky!

Maybe you can post a pic of them so we can get an idea of what is going on. Maybe they are better than you think.

TiffTurtle Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 19

do you use a bag and tip or just a snipped bag to pipe your chocolate? what kind of chocolate do you use? can you use almond bark and color it? or would i be better off using wilton candy melts?

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 19

I use Wilton candy melts and parchment bags for my transfers.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 19
springlakecake Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 19

I also use wilton candy melts (in many colors....MUCH easier than coloring it) and parchment triangles. I do not use tips, I just snip the end (if I have to) I like the hole really really really tiny for detail work and outlines usually. Some people use squeeze bottles, or disposible bags. i never thought I would like parchment triangles, but I love it for chocolate now.

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 19

i use the candy melts as well with disposable bags w/o a tip. i noticed mine came out better when i let the choc cool a little in the bag, it flows slower which gives me better control. pressing down helps as well.

sabbrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabbrina Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 19

I have done two chocolate transfers so far. I will post pictures below so you can see the differences.

The first one I did was the Girl Scout Cake below.
The second one I did was the Soccer Dragon cake below.

This is what I learned:

1. Both of the transfers were made on a freezer bag. I cut the bag to the size that I needed and used just one side of it. I taped the top of the bag over my image.

2. I will always use a # 1 or # 2 tip from now on. I use the plastic throw away decorating bags and snipped off the tips on the Girl Scout transfer. I was not happy with it because it had no distinct lines. For the soccer dragon I used the same throw away decorating bags (The plastic ones) but this time when I snipped of the tip I held a #1 tip to the end as I was tracing and filling in the chocolate. You could also tape the tip to the plastic bag, but it worked out really well with me just holding it.

DO NOT PUT THE TIP IN YOUR BAG... if your chocolate needs to be put int he microwave to soften, you won't be able to because of the tip.

3. You can carefully lift the bottom of the bag up and take a peek. If you see bubbles you can take a toothpick and lightly swirl the chocolate until the bubble is gone.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif
Sabbrina
LL
LL

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 19

are you getting your chocolate totally melted? It would help to see a pic but what i'm thinking is that if its thick then it might not be spreading well. I did mine on wax paper and popped it in the fridge for about 10 minutes and it came out great. I also used candy melts.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 19

cute cakes Sabrinna! I use a coupler so I can take my tip off before microwaving if I use one. I also find it is faster for me to turn a heating pad on low and lay my already melted bags on the heating pad. It keeps them melted and I don't have to get up and keep re-heating my melts.

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 19

Wow! A heating pad! What a great idea!

sabbrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabbrina Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks for the tip NEWTODECORATING. I am ging to have to go out now and buy one ... lol

icon_smile.gif

TiffTurtle Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 19

i tried using almond bark thinking that it wold work...i got a beautiful carolina blue from coloring it, but from the shounds of it i need to go get some candy melts...thanks for all the tips yall..ill be trying it again tonight and ill let yall know whay happens.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 19

I have never used almond bark but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It may not set up quite as hard as the candy melts and it may want to melt easier -not that big a deal this time of the year. icon_lol.gif

I also thin my candy melts with Crisco to avoid the bubbles and bumps you were discribing.

springlakecake Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 5:08pm
post #17 of 19

Yeah I do have to say that when I color the candy (like to make black and it takes a lot even with dark brown candy melts) it does flow better, I think probably because of the added oil based candy color. I will have to try adding a little crisco.

TiffTurtle Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 5:19pm
post #18 of 19

how much crisco would i need to add?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #19 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif I add till I get the desired thinness icon_biggrin.gif I would guess about a tablespoon to a whole bag of melts, but I rairly do a whole bag at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%