Funky Carrot Cake

Decorating By poptart Updated 1 Sep 2007 , 9:07am by JENNSCAKES90909

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 13

Ok folks...Why is it that everytime I make a carrot cake it seems to erupt all over the place. It literally oozes over the top of the pan. Can anyone tell what I am doing wrong.

My recipe:

2c flour
2c sugar
1t powder
1t soda
1t cinnamon
1c oil
4 eggs
3c carrots
1c walnuts

Sift together dry ingredients. Beat together oil and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in carrots and walnuts

Bake at 350 for 40-45 min.

TIA
Jen

12 replies
keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 13

I don't know what could be wrong with the recipe, but I posted a recipe for carrot cake that my mother always makes and it is very good and have never had a problem of any kind with it. I'm curious as too the cause of this as well.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 13

Could it be that you should either use a bigger pan or multiple pans for this recipe?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 13

what height pans are you using? 2" bake faster and more evenly than 3" pans.

how high do you fill the pans? for scratch carrot cake-2/3 full.

is the baking soda/powder in this recipe comparable to the other recipes you use? could be an altitude issue...some recipes are developed at higher/lower altitudes and need to be adjusted. it may be rising too fast before it has a chance to set up.

poptart Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 13

I bake them in 9X2 pans. Could it have anything to do with the "age of my baking powder. I do not use it that often, so it could be a little old.

ivykate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivykate Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 13

Are you possibly putting to much batter in your pans? I found this recipe from America's Taste Test Kitchen and it is very simple to make and very delicious.

2 1/2 flor
1 1/4 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 1/4 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
3 cups grated carrots
1 1.2 cup sugar
1/2 light brown sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 c canola oil
nut and raisins optional

In large bowl sift all dry ingredients, set aside. In food processor , use shredding disc and shred 1# carrots, measure out three cups and fold into dry ingredients. Wipe out food processor and put in regular blade. Add sugars and eggs and mix until throughly combined and eggs are frothy, about 1 to 2 minutes. With processor on slowly add oil in steady stream until mix is light in color and emulsified. Scarpe mixture into dry ingredients and gently fold into dry until well incorparated and no flor streaks remain. pour into greased pans and bake in preheated 350 oven, for 35- 40 minutes or until done. I usually use 2 8" pans or a 9x13. I don't had nuts or raisins, the cake doesn't need it, taste great w/out

Good luck

poptart Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 13

The pans are only filled about half way. I will definatley try the above recipe and see if that changes anything. Thanks for your help.

melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart

I bake them in 9X2 pans. Could it have anything to do with the "age of my baking powder. I do not use it that often, so it could be a little old.

i dont THINK so. i would imagine that if it is old, that it wouldnt expand as it should, not get stronger. how high are you filling the pans with batter?

melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 13

my bet is that it has to do with your altitude. or possibly oven temperature? how do your other cakes bake up?

this is my favorite. i've converted carrot cake haters with this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Best-Carrot-Cake-Ever/Detail.aspx i omit the raisins, crush the walnuts and finely grate the carrots. YUM!

and i use this frosting:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 13

I would try baking in three 9x2 pans. I have a recipe similar and it calls for three pans.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:00am
post #11 of 13

Once you find a happy medium in the pans you are using for your carrot cake write on the bottom of the pan in permanent marker how many cups of your carrot cake batter to put in each pan, that way you don't overfill and have to guess no longer icon_biggrin.gif

HTH's

melysa Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 7:51am
post #12 of 13

smart ideas!

JENNSCAKES90909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JENNSCAKES90909 Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 9:07am
post #13 of 13

just a thought - Are you using double acting baking soda? If so that could possibly be your culprit. double acting is great for when you are baking breads but not so great for cakes hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%