Painting

Decorating By hopper1 Updated 31 Oct 2006 , 2:19am by arosstx

hopper1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopper1 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
I need to call on all of your years of expertise here.
I am making a cake and I need to paint over fondant and then use Luster dust(Maybe).
I mixed some red Americolor with vodka and tried painting that way but it comes out too streaky. Another layer made it less streaky but it still doesn't look right. Are there any tips that will make this better, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong.icon_smile.gif
Also is it possible to color fondant after it has been made? Like if I heat it up and put in in the Kitchenaid with some color will it work or will I get a huge mess?
So as you can see I need lots of help. Ive been baking for a while but fondant is totally new to me. icon_confused.gif

7 replies
cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 8

I can't help with the painting but you can color fondant after it is made. You just knead in paste coloring to whatever shade you want.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 8

Bump!

kellyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyo Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 8

Ditto Bump!!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 8

To minimize the streaking, try using a very soft brush with light pressure. Use gel color, slightly diluted with vodka...merely to make it smooth...not watery. Once you paint an area...do not go over that area again until it is completely dry. Once it has dried, very lightly go over it again for a fuller, darker shade....but, again....go over it only once with a wet brush or else it will streak!

good luck!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:23am
post #6 of 8

Adven's the expert - I'd take her advice! You can also knead the color into the fondant after it's made.

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:39am
post #7 of 8

A key point here is to knead the color in. Do not heat the fondant and try to use the mixer.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8

I had some fondant that I used on a witches' hat on a Halloween cake last Saturday (it's posted if you want to see it). It was yellow and I didn't feel like working really hard to make it black so I painted it w/ some black Wilton food coloring. It worked great! It was a little tacky when I was ready to put it on the cake, so make sure give it enough time to dry.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%