German Chocolate Cake - Box Mix?

Baking By BCo Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 16

I would like to make a german chocolate cake using a box mix. I have never made one so I'm unsure what flavor of cake to use (is there a German Chocolate Cake mix flavor?) Also I want to make the filling from scratch - is there a good recipe that anyone can share for that? I usually use only box mixes that are doctored.

thanks for the help!

15 replies
mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 16

There is a German Chocolate cake mix...I usually use BC but the other brands probably make one as well. I usually have to look in a couple different stores in order to find it...for some reason they don't carry it consistently in the stores around here. I don't have any good filling recipes for this as I usually use it to make caramel brownies, not cake, but I know someone out there does! HTH

BCo Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks so much- I'll have to go look for the cake mix and hopefully someone out there has a recipe for the filling!!

thanks again!

Suzie757 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzie757 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 16

If you are feeling brave enough the German Chocolate cake on the Baker's chocolate package is sooooooo good and easy. Nothing beats one made from scratch . icon_smile.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 16

I made one last week with a recipe from this site, the boyfriend loved it, he had been hounding me for weeks for a chocolate cake so I took the opportunity to try a new recipe.

It was very good and moist.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4563-109-Super-Yummy-Chocolate-Chip-Cake.html

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 16

There is a recipe for the frosting in the recipe section called coconut pecan frosting II. It didnt get the best rating but I have used it and get rave reviews.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 16

The German Chocolate grooms cake in my photos was 'amazing german chocolate cake' from the cake mix doctor. It was EXCELLENT and I really don't care for GC. (shhh don't tell)

1 pckg plain GC cake mix
1 container (15oz) coconut pecan frosting
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs.

Mix ALL ingredients in a large bowl (yes even the canned frosting) and fill prepared pans and bake as usual

The frosting IN the cake takes away all the box taste, gives it an extra flavor boost, and keeps it super moist. You do of course then need another pecan frosting for after the cake is baked.

BCo Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #8 of 16

Thanks so much guys- I'll let you all know how it all turns out - I'll take a peak at the coconut pecan frosting in the recipe section!

Rambo - did you use a canned frosting for the outside of your cake too? It looks super yummy in your photos!!!

thanks again guys for all your help!

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 16

I made the homemade frosting for the outside using the recipe inside the Baker's German Chocolate baking bar. I used the chocolate bar for the curls on top. The cake was D-licious (if I do say so myself) and like I said, I'm NOT a big fan of German Chocolate.

BCo Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 2:21am
post #10 of 16

thanks so much - I'll have to pick up the Baker's Choc Bar and give it a try!!!!

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 16

I used a DH German choc. and made a cake for my boss. It's his fav. A co-worker made him a GC scratch cake (kiss butt, who knew I was making one) My box cake tasted better than her scratch, I wasn't the only one who thought so icon_lol.gif I would admit if hers was better too, but it wasn't.
BTW Bturpin, what smoothing method do you use? Your cakes are perfect!

BCo Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 16

Thank you - I will definitely go look for the box mix today! I prefer DH so I'm going to go search for that one first!

As for my smoothing methods - I first started out with just the viva paper towel. Then I went to smoothing with the paper towel first and then finished off with a piece of copy paper. Now I have moved onto the Melivra foam roller method. So it's a combination of the three or 2 of the three - I almost always use the copy paper to finish just b/c I think it gives it the smoothest look! Hope that all make sense!! icon_smile.gif And thank you for the nice comment!

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:49am
post #13 of 16

Thanks for quick reply! I used the paper towel, then I bought the foam brush. Mine still don't look as smooth. I haven't loaded any new photo's, because our new camera doesn't make them small enough to load icon_sad.gif But they look better than they did. I'll have to try the copy paper. Do you mean paper from the printer? Just plain ole paper? Pretty cool!
THANKS FOR SHARING!

BCo Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:04am
post #14 of 16

yup- just plain old paper from the printer does the trick!! I usually use my fondant smoother to lightly rub over the top of the copy paper - I find I do not have a gentle touch so with both the viva paper towels and the copy paper I use the fondant smoother instead of my hands!!! Give it a try, I think you will find a big difference!! But still go ahead with either the roller or the paper towel first and then the copy paper!

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 16

Hi Bturpin! Did you make the cake ?? What did you end up doing? I'll be making one soon icon_wink.gif and would like to know your results. icon_smile.gif

BCo Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 16

NO- I bought all the ingredients and I was supposed to make it for this weekend but plans have changed so I won't be making it now for another 2 weeks!! AGHHHH - sorry. I'm going to try the one with the frosting mixed into the cake mix! But when I do make it I will post. I hope you have good luck with yours and let me know how it goes!!! I wish I could be of more help - sorry about that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%