texastwinkie Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 3:53pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

click on add attatchment and the click browse and find the photo on your comp. and then double click on the file name and then just hit submit.......if it doesn't go through look at the top of the page, it will tell you in red if your file is too large.....I think it allows up to 800 pixels in the forums....if it's too large go to www.shrinkpictures.com and click on custom size and enter 800 pixels and then browse, double click on the picture file name and it will shrink it for you...then you just right click on the photo and save it to your pc....then you can add it to the forum with the first part of these directions...hope that makes sense?

Ok, here goes.... (fingers are crossed)

didn't work...I follwed the steps and I'm not getting a message that there is a problem with size. Does it need to be hosted from something like photobucket or imageshack?

Peeverly Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:59am

Khalstead,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I just made my first cutter and I am sooooo excited. Granted it is only a rectangle but it is a size that I could not find anywhere (not even on the net). I am going to make tons of cutters (I already have about 200 so why not more). Think of all the money I could have saved myself (and my husband, lol!). You are a genius (for real)!!!!!

texastwinkie Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:42am

trying one more time to post a pic of the cookie cutters I have searched for. Can't wait to make these boy and girl cutters! Thanks for the tutorial !
LL
LL

KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:22pm

oh man........those are absolutely adorable cookies!!! Those are so great, I can see why you wanna make em'....they don't seem like they would be THAT difficult to make a cutter..the scallops on the dress will probably be the hardest part....I'd say use a small dowel rod or pencil to achieve the curve though....can't wait to see the cookies if you get around to makin th em!!! I love em

Peeverly- that's so awesome....I'm so glad that my being a cheapskate has helped someone else LOL It just seems rediculous to pay so much money for a rectangular shaped cookie cutter...when really if you made one that's pretty much the EASIEST one you could possibly make!! Glad to help out

charlieinMO Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 6:50pm

So glad I found this thread!!!! I had tried to make some cookie cutters before. Someone had mentioned using this stuff for pipes (forget what it was called) I tried but it was just too hard to bend for me!! THis sounds awesome and right now money is a huge issue for us so this is just great!!

Thanks KHalstead!!! (maybe we should do a cookie of you for the November theme of things we are thankful for?LOL ) icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 6:46pm

lol........that's funny.....but completely unneccesary I assure you!! LOL

S1eepygrl Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 7:47am

Happy Pre-Holidays Y'all,

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU! What a great gift you have givin all of us!
THANK YOU!

DH says AHHGGGG! LOL

I am having no luck finding a Girl Scout shaped cake pan. Do Ya think this would work for a pan or would that be too large and not bake well?

THANK YOU!

KHalstead Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:19pm

mmmm....don't know.....my guess is the aluminum might be too thin.......oh or do you mean to set a large cutter inside of a cake pan?? I'll bet you could make a large cutter and just bake a square or whatever shaped cake and then just cut it out! I would just make a template out of paper though and just carve the cake.....unless you need to make a lot of them.

allibopp5 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:21pm

Just another person wanting to thank you for sharing the directions...like many others, was thinking this was too tricky. You make it look do-able! Thanks for sharing!

S1eepygrl Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 5:41am

Happy Pre-Holidays Y'all,

Thanks for the tip on using it or paper to cut out a cake.

Another question: Have you tried to make any of the 3-D cutters that look so neat but are getting bad reviews here on CC? If yes what are your results?

And again Thank you so much for sharing!

KHalstead Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:07pm

no I haven't..........I've seen them though and they look so neat...just so expensive.......I don't see why you couldn't make them.......I mean if you can draw up a pattern or find a pattern for them there shouldn't be any reason why it shouldn't work. I didn't realize they were getting bad reviews.....I always thought they looked so cool. You would (I imagine) have to get ahold of a good cookie dough recipe that doesn't spread At all to make them work though wouldn't you?

CakesBySandy Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm

Wow, I just read this thread...thanks KHalstead!!!

sweetbaker Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:54pm

Thanks.

momsandraven Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:20pm

Thanks so much for sharing this KH. I've sweet-talked my DH into making a few custom cutters for me before, but this method is easier than his, IMO. He glued my printed image to a small piece of wood, then cut that out. He took a strip of flashing and pounded it around the wood shape. He welded the cutter together, but the bottom edges never seal very well this way, and I end up w/a goofy 'jag' on one edge. I'm definitely stopping at the hardware store tonight!

Canela Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 2:55am

This tutorial should be in the article's page icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:39pm

awww...thanks

amandasweetcakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:49pm

Fantastic! Thanks!

ctorno Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:31am

Great tutorial! I have made some with cardboard and cutting strips off the bottom of an aluminum pan. I live in a small town and have 3 kids, so sometimes what is in the pantry has to do. Hope you don't mind me posting this under here KHalstead, your method certainly produces finer lines. Cut a piece of cardboard into a square. Outline pic on cardboard and use an exacto knife over trace marks. Cardboard has a hollow center and you will not puncture through the other side too easily (and you do not want to). Cut the size strip off bottom of pan (best to have double the width you need and fold in half for a stronger piece), then stick it in the groove the exacto knife made. If you come up short, just cut another strip and tape to existing one. Can use tape to hold parts in place as you wind around if need to. Then non-toxic glue to hold in the cardboard. I did this for the frog cookies I made that were actually a replica of someone elses on the site. Very easy and most already have the tools needed. May not work as well as the posted method for intricate cookies shapes, but sure helped me to not have to cut each one individually. Just thought I would post this for those who find themselves in a real bind. I am going to keep your method bookmarked for future ones I make. Thanks for sharing!!

whimsette Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:44pm

What a great tutorial + tips! Thank you so much for sharing them.

I wanted to add a couple of notes:

1. Clean your flashing with an alcohol-based cleaner (rubbing alcohol works just fine) or a strong degreaser before you use it on food.

2. Beware of what kind of flashing you buy! There are a few types on the market. Get aluminum or galvinized steel. There's a lead-based copper one that you absolutely do not want.

sweetoccasions Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 6:00pm

Thank you for taking the time to make this tutorial. I can't wait to make my own cutters. thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 11:52pm

Hope I actually try this someday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%