Organizing All Your Cake Stuff Photo Tutorial

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 14 Aug 2014 , 4:42am by Dionne1024

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:13am
post #61 of 168

Oh my gosh!! You are amazing!! I have bought little drawers and all kinds of storage things, but I still can't get it together! You have inspired me to empty one of the tool chests in our basement. My husband has a brand new one that he never has used. I think I hear it calling my name. Hee! Hee!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:19am
post #62 of 168

Will you come to my house? Please????

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:30am
post #63 of 168

Wow. You have amazing organizational skills.

After I spent months getting my stuff organized like yours, it would take one cake order to demolish the whole thing. I am just a slob when it comes to organization. My stuff may look a mess but I know where everything is, I think.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:42am
post #64 of 168

Oh my goodness!!!!! I am SO envious of your organizational skills! My "stuff" spreads through the kitchen, our office, and the garage! icon_redface.gif I'd pay handsomely for you to get me even 1/2 as organized as you are! I somehow believe that you organized, well-planned, precise people are somehow morally superior to those of us who are chaotic slobs!!!!! icon_cry.gif Thanks for posting your plan...maybe someday????? PAT

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:47am
post #65 of 168

I love the idea of using a craftsman! Too cool.

The problem is finding the space for the darn thing! LOL

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:55am
post #66 of 168

Oh man I feel like a mess....

butterflybebby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflybebby Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 12:59am
post #67 of 168

Amazing! I would love to be so organized.

I didn't read all of the posting but I use a large tackle box from Bass Pro Shops. I don't have as many supplies, so it pretty much fits what I have. The separated parts is where I have all my tips, sorted by type and size as well. But I love your tip holder!! I also have a smaller tackle box that fits all my icing tints. And the top of a shelf that hold the rest of my larger items (pans, cake mixes, turn tables, etc)

You are quite an inspiration!!! Thanks!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:07am
post #68 of 168

I guess living in Alaska you have a lot of time on your hands icon_wink.gif Just joking with you girl! icon_biggrin.gif Being organized like that is awesome! I'm pretty organized myself... but my problem is I am always changing things around (my OCD kicking in icon_confused.gif )~ Being organized saves time & looks great! Fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us! I give you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif !!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:44am
post #69 of 168

I love the Cratsman! Now I know what I want for christmas!! I love your craft room!! We are selling our house and moving within the next couple of months and you have inspire me! Now I want my new house with an extra bedroom! Thanks for sharing!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 1:49am
post #70 of 168

someone asked what i would get first... the craftsman tool chest. it holds sooooooo much! if you are on a budget get a book shelf (used) first. The tip holder is about $30 at a hardware store. I like to find good deals, i don't pay full price on anything! The tool chest would have been $369 new (alaska prices) but they had one with dents in the drawers from shipping and i got it for $150!!!!!! Hubby popped the itty bitty dents back out and it's as good as new!

cpowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpowell Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:21am
post #71 of 168

This is great. I am new here and I have a very small kitchen. I too know what I am going to ask Santa to bring me. I will never become that organized I am sure. But I only hope I can get half as good a start as you have. That is remarkable.

cake2decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake2decorate Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 2:39am
post #72 of 168

Your organization is GREAT! I must confess... to being a neat freak too.

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:15am
post #73 of 168

WOW!!! I was just talking to a new CC friend about this the other day. What a great set of photos for ideas for getting organized. I just wouldn't know where to go with the Tool, excuse me... Cake Craftsman Organizer! icon_biggrin.gif We hope to be getting a new kitchen (someday!) and I'll be adding some of these ideas to my list.

Thanks for the excellent post!

- Paula

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 4:21am
post #74 of 168

Ok thats it YOU get the award... I am amazed at your stash.Good ideas thanks for allowing us to view your organized domain.

cakesbykitty Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 9:01am
post #75 of 168

so now i would love to hear all of your other ideas for organizing. There can never be too many clever ideas when it comes to sorting and storing all this ... er... stuff LOL. for example... anyone have a better way of storing chocolate molds (rather than on the shelf where they get dusty)? how do you store fondant bows you make ahead... she says cause she just dropped and broke her best one LOL!!!!!!

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 4:56pm
post #76 of 168

I should not be posting on this thread, because I am not organized in the least. BUT all premade items; flowers, pumpkins, bows etc. go in disposable ZipLoc boxes and get labled and stacked on a shelf. I save bubble wrap and cushion some items with that.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm
post #77 of 168

..my idea? I think I am going to go out and buy stock shares in Craftsman!! icon_smile.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:24pm
post #78 of 168

I am so glad you shared this....

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 5:33pm
post #79 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys

Now I know why my MIL's house is always in perfect order. She has NO HOBBIES. She doesn't do ANYTHING in her apt. at all. No wonder it stays pristine. Melissa

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think that's MY problem, too! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Too many hobbies!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

And, of course, I just HAVE to have all the stuff that goes with them!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_twisted.gif [i.e., I quilt, too, and have all of my fabrics orgznized in plastic underbed storage containers designed for gift wrap ... neatly folded and color-coordinated ... the one who dies with the most fabric WINS! and I'm SO competitive ... icon_twisted.gif ]

Actually, I use a large red plastic "kit" (that's what I call it) with upper and lower areas ... much like a large, unweildy briefcase, but I bought it at the hardware store. I believe it's for storing a drill and drill bits, etc. The top has compartments that I have labeled for my tubes to go into ... round 1-4, round 5-12, stars 13-18, stars 19+, rose, large, multiple-hole ... you get the idea. I take this when I deliver a cake so I have the things I most readily need, and it's handy to use when I'm decorating at home icon_cool.gif .

The problem I seem to have is that everyone else in my house doesn't open their eyes and LOOK icon_eek.gif AND SEE icon_eek.gif where things should be stored, so they just dump them all into a basked on a cupboard in my kitchen. Then they pile more stuff on it so I never find what I'm looking for! We just moved in April and I'm STILL having to fight the urge to buy the things I still cannot find!

My cake pans, pillars, plates, etc., are all in my basement. They're organized by type, style, size, etc. in plastic tubs that are CLEARLY LABELED. Hubby and the kids can go find what I need when I ask them for it, they just don't realize yet that the system actually works in reverse! icon_twisted.gif [i.e., when you have something that's clean and dry, you CAN put it away yourself ... just look for the right tub in the basement!!!! icon_razz.gif ] Aaaaaahhhhhhhh, families .......... you just gotta love 'em! icon_rolleyes.gif

So where do a find a FREE ORGANIZATIONAL GENIE to come and organize ME??? icon_cry.gif

Post editted to add: And your tip organizer ... that's exactly what the lady who owns the local cake supply store uses. I LOVE to shop at the hardware store ... there are so many really good ideas there! Lots of "tools" that don't have to be used for construction tools ... can be used for CAKE TOOLS!!!!! icon_twisted.gif Yay!

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #80 of 168

I love your organization. It makes me want to get even better. Love the toolbox idea. How did you do your ribbons? I see they are on some sort of bar. I have been trying to figure out what do to do with my ribbon. Thanks for showing us yours. As for candy molds - I have mine in a plastic stackable crate (like the old milk crates - I got from LNT) and I stack them vertically instead of horizontally so they don't get dust in the molds.

cakesbykitty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 6:58am
post #81 of 168

the ribbons are on small curtain rods.. the expandable kind. they have holes in the ends to go onto hardware, i just put a ribbon thru the hole and use a thumb tack to hang it on the wall

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 7:43pm
post #82 of 168

I use our guest bedroom for my cake stuff... all my carriers go into the closet and then my pans, cardboards, supplies, ingredients and other things go into the dresser drawers where I have them all labeled. I could never see myself buying a toolbox (especially one that costs $150!) just for cake things... my husband would want it!

cakesbykitty Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 10:49pm
post #83 of 168

LOL... my husband was just tickled i wanted a tool chest!!!!!!!!!! LOL! and last night i bought a huge clay extruder gun and he started saying he could caulk with it... i snatched it from him and said "don't even think about it".... LOL, he is thrilled that i love tools (even if they are cake tools)

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 3:45am
post #84 of 168

Yeah, Boys and their Toys .... LOL!!!

cakesbykitty Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:41am
post #85 of 168

Yes LOL, boys and their toys... but i think one of the reason my hubby loves me so much is my favorite color is chrome and i can run a power saw and drill! LOL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 2:44pm
post #86 of 168

oh that set up is amazing.........I wanna come shopping in your drawers LOL Oh and you're busted.....is that wilton fondant I see in that drawer???? LOL j/k

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:35pm
post #87 of 168

Girl you got it goin' on!
That would make a great magazine article.
you should send that in to a cake dec magazine. I'm serious! thumbs_up.gif

cakesbykitty Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 7:38pm
post #88 of 168

lol...Khalstead, yes, wilton fondant in drawer with cany melts. since i teach it i get products really cheap. i have not mastered black mmf therefore i buy it already black.....HOWEVER.... i am making some black mmf today for a purse cake and hoping it will work. cross your fingers! LOL

cakesbykitty Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm
post #89 of 168

i DID IT! MY FIRST BATCH OF MMF! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO. NO MORE WILTON!!!!! I made chocolate MMF (with giradelli chocolate and Hersheys dutch process dark cocoa and americolors superblack) and it's gorgeous! Sorry wilton, even with the discout i get, i'm forever doing mmf.

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 9:26pm
post #90 of 168

alaskanmom - good job on the chocolate MMF! Did you just come up with the recipe? If you have any secrets - would love to hear icon_smile.gif I haven't tried making chocolate yet. I have been using Satin Ice - but it is soooo expensive. I am working on organizing this weekend...thanks for the inspiration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%