How Early Can I Start The "extras"?

Decorating By pooker Updated 20 Jul 2005 , 5:54pm by Misdawn

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 4

I will be doing a cake for a picnic on the 29th. When would be a good time to do the fondant extras for the cake? I know some of you say that you do them ahead of time, and I'd like to do that, because of the time involved, but how early do you start?

TIA!!!

3 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 4

I would think it would depend on what the "Extras" are and how many of them you are doing.

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 4

Oops! icon_biggrin.gif
Guess that might help! icon_redface.gif

I am not "completely" sure, but some of the extras will more than likely be little tires...maybe about the size of a half dollar?

Then a few car emblems...

The cake is for my parents and their Corvette group. They asked me to bake a cake for a cook-out...

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 4

I would start working on the more difficult pieces in the next day or two (depending on just how difficult they would be), that way if something happens to them or they don't work the way you think they should, then you still have time to try something else. The fondant should be okay. As a matter of personal preference, once they start drying good, I would store them in an airtight container until they are ready to be put on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%