Tempering Chocolate

Decorating By melysa Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 4:48am by melysa

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 14

can someone explain in careful detail the right way to go about doing this? thanks so much.

13 replies
melysa Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 14

bump icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 14

This is how I was taught:

- stir chocolate until it is 115 F over a pan of hot water - not simmering (the chocolate is in a glass bowl).
- remove bowl from the hot pan and stir until the temp drops to 75 F
- warm the chocolate over the hot water again until it is 90 F and now its ready to use

melysa Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 14

thanks snowshoe1. can you help me understand why its brought down and then back up in temperature?

snowshoe1 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 14

This is my understanding (don't quote me as I'm not trained in this but this is what I remember from books and google searches). Due to the fats in the cocoa butter there are different sizes of crystals in the chocolate. You heat it up to break down different types of crystals (I think there are a total of 6); then lower it to the lowest tempature to allow only two types of crystals to form; then you need to heat it back up to break down the 'bad' crystal and you have only the 'good' crystal left. Once this is all done properly you don't get streaks in your chocolate; it won't crumble as much but instead you can work with it better (e.g. pieces break off instead of crumbling, etc....).

Hope this makes sense...

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 14

Melysa,
The reason the chocolate is brought up then down, then up again is for speed.
The easiest way for one to temper chocolate is to melt it at 85-87 degrees to melt all the undesirable crystals, but have the desirable crystals form (beta type 5) BUT this would take forever. By heating the choc. to a higher temp, this melts all the cystals. Then the temp is lowered to restart crystal formation (to around 75) then brought back up to about 85 degrees to ensure that any crystals that have formed are the right kind. The other 'bad" crystals melt at that temp. since they start to form at lower temps. This process is faster than just melting at a lower temp.

Does this help???

melysa Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:30am
post #7 of 14

thanks guys. i normally just melt the chocolate for 30 seconds or so in the microwave (its like body temp) for wraps and stuff. but i recently bought a chocolate ruffler, and it comes with a mold. so i need to make this one and a half pound circle of chocolate to shave off of, and it says to temper the chocolate. so, i want to do this right. thanks so much for the information. i am assuming i can use a candy thermometer for this?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 6:01am
post #8 of 14

FYI there are different temps for white, milk, and dark chocolates.

snowshoe1 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

thanks guys. i normally just melt the chocolate for 30 seconds or so in the microwave (its like body temp) for wraps and stuff. but i recently bought a chocolate ruffler, and it comes with a mold. so i need to make this one and a half pound circle of chocolate to shave off of, and it says to temper the chocolate. so, i want to do this right. thanks so much for the information. i am assuming i can use a candy thermometer for this?

You can use a candy thermometer. Which ruffler did you purchase? The only one I have seen in the one that uses this type of a round... http://beryls.safeshopper.com/200/8137.htm?634 - and these seemed too pricey for me.

Are you saying there is a round mold that came with the ruffler? If so, please do send me the name of the ruffler - would love to look into it.

melysa Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 14

koryak, do you know the temps for the different chocolates? thank you for letting me know.

snowshoe1, i got mine on ebay, new for $25 plus shipping. but here is a link to an online store that carries them and a description. this one comes with a mold which i like better than the la girolle, however, its got a wood base rather than stone like the la girolle. so, take your pick...i decided to try this out because it was such a good deal and i was thrilled to know i wouldnt have to spend $43 on ONE 1.1 lb round of chocolate!

http://www.chefsresource.com/swissmar-girouette-cheese-chocolate-curler.html

melysa Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 14

i just noticed (haha) that they didnt do a good job tempering their chocolate in the stock photo. yuck!

snowshoe1 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

koryak, do you know the temps for the different chocolates? thank you for letting me know.

snowshoe1, i got mine on ebay, new for $25 plus shipping. but here is a link to an online store that carries them and a description. this one comes with a mold which i like better than the la girolle, however, its got a wood base rather than stone like the la girolle. so, take your pick...i decided to try this out because it was such a good deal and i was thrilled to know i wouldnt have to spend $43 on ONE 1.1 lb round of chocolate!

http://www.chefsresource.com/swissmar-girouette-cheese-chocolate-curler.html

Thanks! I just ordered one - this is perfect (great site too).

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:24am
post #13 of 14

The only thing about using a candy thermometer is that the temp increments are widely spaced so it's kind of hard to tell when it hits the right temps. You can also buy a chocolate thermometer which is easier to read, although it's harder to handle b/c it's a long glass thermometer. I bought one b/c I was worried about screwing up the chocolate and it came out perfect.

I don't think you need to go all the way down to 75 either, more like 80-85, and then back up to whatever temp you need to keep it at. Also, to cool it down more quickly and start the crystallization you add unmelted chocolate to the melted chocolate. Last time I tempered chocolate I added chopped chocolate and whizzed it in with a hand blender.(saw this on a jacques torres show) You need to add quite a bit to bring it down, like 1/2 to 2/3 of the melted amount. Sorry if this is confusing...I"m not an expert, lol.

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/temperingchocolate.htm

courtney

melysa Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:48am
post #14 of 14

thanks courtney, i'm going to keep that link and read over it several times till it makes sense to me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%