What Size To Use????

Decorating By Moria76 Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 1:19pm by indydebi

Moria76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moria76 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 2

I am making my 1st wedding cake and I am unsure what size pans to use. I am using square pans but I want bigger servings than Wilton suggests. The bride invited 80 people but I wanted to make for around 100 people just incase. Suggestions please....

1 reply
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 2

figuring servings for square cakes is easy .... just do the math.

A standard wedding cake slice is 1x2x4. If you want to cut them 2x2x4, just do the math: On a 14" square, you'd cut 7 rows by 7 columns = 49 servings (instead of the standard 9icon_cool.gif. Be sure that you are charging them for DOUBLE size pieces!

My pricing is based on 1x2x4 pcs. If they want double size pieces for a wedding for 100, then I am, in effect, selling them 200 servings times my per-serving rate.

I charge for a pre-determined serving size. They are welcome to cut it any size they want, but if they cut them for Jethro Bodine, then they need to buy more cake. I am not eating the expense just because they are eating like they've never had cake before.

But you also might remind them that the wedding cake is not the meal ... it's the dessert, and a 1x2x4 is bigger than you think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%