Cover A Cardboard Cakeboard To Be Used In Stacking?

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 4 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm by delisa01

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:29am
post #1 of 21

I am in need of assistance with stacking a cake with the sizes of 6, 8, and 10. I want to use the cardboard in between so that I can use the sharpened wooden center dowel. (Of course, I've got to practice more on getting the dowels to one length. icon_cry.gif )

How will I cover the cakeboard to keep it from deteriorating from the moisture of the cakes? I don't want it to be soggy. I do want to be able to cut down to cardboard and then remove board and go to next level.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif Any help will be much appreciated.. icon_smile.gif

20 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #2 of 21

I personally have never covered my cakeboards, nor have those boards become "soggy". If you are worried about it sucking moisture from the cake, you can perhaps cover it in a thin layer of BC. I've also heard mention of some using contact paper or cellophane on thier boards, but I think most were talking about the bottom "display" board.

HTH!

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:39am
post #3 of 21

i always cover the cardboard in plastic wrap. the dowel goes through this without any problems, just watch where you put your tape. i do have problems with the icing sticking to the bottom of the cake board though. i've tried to cover the area with powdered sugar first, but that doesn't seem to keep things from sticking.... any ideas on that?

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:40am
post #4 of 21

I cut my boards to the right size and then cover them in wax paper. When I stack the cakes I put confectioners sugar on the top of each cake to keep from sticking. I haven't had a problem.

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:41am
post #5 of 21

I am new to this also, but I will give you my experience so far - you can either place cake on uncovered board or if you cover it with tim foil make sure it is secured to the bottom of the cake board so the cake doesn't slip off the tinfoil/board when plaing on the other tier. Marke sure the cake board is the same size as the tiers being stacked (your 8 & 6) so you will not see it or have that much to cover up.

Placing on an uncovered board will not make the board soggy if you are using within a day or so.

HTH a bit. Good luck.

Hookste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hookste Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:45am
post #6 of 21

I use contact paper on all layers because it's quick and easy. You also don't get pieces of foil in the cut cake piece which sometimes happens with foil. Just make sure you put a dab of icing on contact paper before placing the cake on top so it doesn't slide. Good luck!

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:49am
post #7 of 21

I actually just did this the other day...I was putting a center dowel through the entire cake, so I had to use boards instead of the separator plates. I cut a hole in the center of the board and then covered it, top and bottom, in contact paper. Then just cut the hole back out. Using contact paper will make the board so it's completely moisture-proof. I ran into a problem one time when I did not do this; the board had absorbed moisture from the cake, and the cake itself had an off "cardboard" taste. It was NOT good. You also have to be a little careful if you do not wrap your boards because if they do become wet and the cake has sat for a few days (maybe a day or so prior to giving your customer the cake, and then who knows how long after your customer has had it) there is a possibility that the board could become moldy. I know people will argue about contact paper not being labeled food safe, but in my eyes, it's better to do that than to have someone get ill from a moldy cake.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:58am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlesliceofhaven

Placing on an uncovered board will not make the board soggy if you are using within a day or so.

Actually, this is not necessarily true!!! It really depends on the moisture levels of your cake. For example, some people spray the cake with simple syrup to make sure the cake is extra moist, or even if you used a filling with a higher moisture level (pudding, for example) that could make the cake more moist. Also, if the cake sweats, that could cause the cardboard to become soggy.

I had to learn the hard way on this, and it wasn't pretty!!! LOL! I hate having to cover all of the boards with contact paper, but I have learned what will happen if I don't!

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:58am
post #9 of 21

My Wilton instructor told us to use grated chocolate or coconut shreads to put under the cake board or plate. It works great.

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:09am
post #10 of 21

would a thin layer of royal icing work if left to dry and harden before using the board? I have never covered my boards but now that I've read all the posts here, I'm a bit worried lol... I've also worried about the foil, plastic wrap and/or wax paper getting in the cake so never wanted to try it. now you got me thinking icon_confused.gif

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #11 of 21

never had a problem with plastic wrap getting in the cake. works like a charm for me! i'll have to remember the chocolate/coconut idea..... very clever.....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:34am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifergilliland

My Wilton instructor told us to use grated chocolate or coconut shreads to put under the cake board or plate. It works great.

I've posted this before but check with your customer before using coconut. I HATE coconut and if I got a cake with coconut on it in any shape or form, I would be demanding a full refund because I would deem the cake completely inedible!

LLAURALS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LLAURALS Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:35am
post #13 of 21

I have always used foil and haven't been happy because
of the different problems you all have mentioned. I am
definitely going to try contact paper now! And I love the
chocolate/coconut idea. Can't wait!!

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:24am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifergilliland

I've posted this before but check with your customer before using coconut. I HATE coconut and if I got a cake with coconut on it in any shape or form, I would be demanding a full refund because I would deem the cake completely inedible!

Ditto, I hate coconut too!
Never had a problem with uncovered board either. Dunno, don't have that many tiered cakes and they never sit for long periods so that could be why. And actually after taking a food safety course this week (by Dept. of Agric.)....if it's not food safe, you could really possibly cause a problem. Yes better safe than sorry but I'd refrigerate the cake if it's going to sit for a period of time....and I'd suggest telling your customer the same.
Hey TN bakers...guess that class was worth it, I learned something LOL LOL LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 4:31am
post #15 of 21

I've never covered a cardboard and don't plan to. Do you guys use waxed boards? (You buy them waxed.) But since I use the SPS system, the cardboard is always sitting on a plastic plate.

Jannie92869 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 6:18am
post #16 of 21

Thank you for all your suggestions! I still haven't quite figured out which I will try yet. icon_surprised.gif

Etta1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etta1025 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 21

This may be a silly question, but I'm new to this. Do you have to put cardboard or separator plates between the tiers? I've made a couple of tiered cakes without putting anything (other than a dowel all the way through), and they turned out fine.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 21

I use cardboard and plastic plates between every tier (kind of a belts-n-suspenders type of person I guess!)

Please bear in mind how people are going to cut the cakes. I cut a groom's cake that was a beautiful creation of R2D2. 6 layers of cake with nothing between any of the layers. Cutting it was a bear .... I had no idea where to stop (until I really got into the cake), the pieces were messy and I just didn't enjoy doing this at all.

I think every single person who makes a wedding cake (or any kind of cake) should be required to cut at least 2 or 3 of them so they can understand how their construction effects the cutting (and sometimes adds to the aggrevation of the person cutting it). I cut a wedding cake that a bride had picked up from a local (very popular) bakery. Their plating system was a freakin' Fort Knox system and I like to have NEVER got that thing apart and cut! I do this for a living and *I* was ready to throw it across the room! icon_mad.gif

Jannie92869 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 3:47am
post #19 of 21

Thank you much for all the great responses.

It seems that the consensus is that I do not have to cover my cake boards with anything at all if I am going to stack them between my cake tiers. From some of the PMs I received, their was a suggestion to double the cardboard cake board by taping two boards together.

Have many of you tried that technique? Or is that adding additional cost...maybe I can just use one waxed board in between tiers.

Thank you for your time.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:29am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

I cut my boards to the right size and then cover them in wax paper. When I stack the cakes I put confectioners sugar on the top of each cake to keep from sticking. I haven't had a problem.

i read that a lot of decorators do this...wax paper and conf. sugar! icon_biggrin.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #21 of 21

I just did a stacked cake this weekend and I used the technique you mentioned (two cake boards, but I glued them together). Worked great and I didn't, rather, my husband didn't have a problem putting the dowel through the whole cake. Good Luck

Delia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%