Viva Paper Towel Trick?

Decorating By loveandkissescakes Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 4:27am by Derby

loveandkissescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveandkissescakes Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 6

HI,

I am new to this forum. I thought I would ask a silly question.....what is these Viva paper towel techinque I am keep reading about? I need help in smoothing my buttercream.....sometimes I get a lot of "air Pockets" and almost a curdled look when I ice my cakes thumbsdown.gif .....I wonder what I am doing worng. Maybe whipping icing too much? Anyways, if anyone knows about the paper towel trick, I would appreciate the help and advice!

Thank you so much!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 6

Air bubbles in your icing can come from beating it on two high of a speed. It can also come from beating it for too long. I usually beat mine on the lowest speed after I add the powder sugar. I mix it until the icing is all mixed together then will mix it a few more minutes.

The curddled look could be from adding too much water in to it.

Would you share your recipe with us?

As far as the viva paper towel method. After you ice your cake with a crusting icing* you let it crust* and then lay a viva paper towel over the icing and use your hand or a fondant smoother to smooth out the icing on your cake.

A key to this is to do it right after your icing has crusted. Waiting too long will give you elephant skin and not a smooth pretty icing.

*Crusting icing is an icing that after some time you can touch and it will not stick to your finger. It will have a slight crust on the outside of the icing.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 6

If you have too many air pockets, you are whipping too much. Let the over whipped icing set for a couple of hours then gently stir, it should help with those air pockets. The curdled look sounds like too much water, when thinning down, remember water and oil don't mix, so you will get that look if you add too much.

Now for the viva trick. Its really quite simple, let your icing crust (you must be using a crusting icing for this trick) slightly, you should be able to touch it with out it sticking to your finger, then lay the paper towel over the icing and gently smooth with your hands. Use viva cause there is no textured print, if you want a textured icing use another brand, just check out some of the patterns on them, there are some really neat ones out there.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 6

Welcome!
The Viva paper towel method: use the non-patterned side of a viva paper towel. Let your cake slightly crust (or I do). Place paper towel directly on cake and smooth with your fingers in circular motion or in an even pattern. I do alot of buttercream cakes (some in my photos) and am always asked how I get the icing so smooth. I like this method because you can do it, let the cake "rest" again, and repeat it if you want to.
Hope I helped someone like I am always being helped here!

patygpm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patygpm Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 6

The good thing about the viva paper towel method is that you can get your icing really smooth and you can even get a design on it!! If you want you can use paper towel with a special design and it really makes the cake look beautiful. You can use the design as a guide for decorating!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:27am
post #6 of 6

The viva papertowel method is THE BEST!! I get tons of compliments from customers who wonder how I got the frosting so smooth! It's also really easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%