Help Need Fat Free And Sugar Free Cake Recipe! Faaast

Baking By dollop72 Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm by modthyrth

dollop72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dollop72 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 2

Help! Please someone.
My mom is diabetic and my dad has had quadruple bypass.
They are both VERY committed to their diets.
Today is their 45th anniversary and Sunday (they are Pastors) is Pastor Appreciation Day at our church. I want to make a cake for the 2 of them.

Please...any ideas?

1 reply
modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 2

You can adapt your favorite recipe. For the cake, you can replace fat with applesauce or pumpkin puree. You can replace sugar with splenda--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But the icing? I'm pretty good at modifying things to make them more healthy, but something made entirely out of sugar and butter. It's not like you can sub applesauce and splenda here. Blech.

It's a nice idea, but if your parents are committed to a healthy lifestyle and can't include regular cake in moderation, I personally wouldn't do it at all. If they're on a program like weight watchers, they *can* have regular cake, but they'll need to plan for it--so don't make it a surprise. Tell them to save at least 10 points for something special that day.

There are other fun and healthy options. What about an elaborately carved fruit display? You could always make fondant molded figures or something fun and personal and decorative that would be *edible* but probably not *eaten.* icon_wink.gif Something like that would show off your skills, demonstrate your love for them, and be respectful of their lifestyle choices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%