Do Dowels Go Into The Cake Board?

Decorating By Derby Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 4:01pm by mamacc

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:55am
post #1 of 11

I'm trying to make a 3-D tombstone cake (inspired by mnmmommy). I'm stacking a 9x13 cut into 3 pieces and then a 9" round on top. Do I just dowel through them or do the dowels go into the cake board and if they go into the board....HOW??

10 replies
Fruitloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fruitloop Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 1:08am
post #2 of 11

I've never heard of them going into the cake board itself but I could be wrong. I would just put it through the cakes...not the boards.

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:01am
post #3 of 11

On cakes that we sculp I cut the bottom board out of 1/4 plywood. Use a 3/4" dowel cut a couple of inches shorter that the cake will be, and use a wood screw to attach the dowel to the plywood. Prevents any shifting. We mark and cut holes in the cake boards that seperate the layers of cake to fit over the dowel. We also dowel each level to prevent a collapse.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 2:57am
post #4 of 11

when i do stacked cakes the dowels only go down TO the cake board. i suppose if it is a very vertical cake without much base support, putting it in the boards might just be brilliant!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:42am
post #5 of 11

I'm trying to picture how you're doing the stand-up tombstone. If I'm reading it right, you're cutting and stacking a 9x13 into three parts, with half of a 9" round on top? So it'll be approx. 10" high or more? If so, you'll definitely need to dowel & board, otherwise it'll be too much weight on the bottom layer. At the very least, drive a sharpened central dowel through to the bottom cake board for stability. Cigarherb's recommendation would be the way to go - the base of the cake is the same dimension as the top, there's not alot of support. You don't want it to fall over like a domino.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:50am
post #6 of 11

all of my stacked cakes I use the rods through the bosrd. otherwise they are not very stable I just do the hole in the boards first. Then go through the cake then board.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:59am
post #7 of 11

heavensent....I'D MISS THE HOLE!!!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:01am
post #8 of 11

okay....I just used 3 dowels and didn't put them into the board because I just couldn't figure out how.....plus Ididn't check back here again for everyone's awesome answers icon_redface.gif

But, it's done!!! See my photos!

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 11

very nice job

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:57pm
post #10 of 11

I put my dowels into the cake board sometimes, depending on the cake. Obviously you can't do it with plywood, but foamcore or regular cake boards you can. You have to sharpen the dowel and then use a hammer to drive it down through into the bottom board. This makes it really sturdy!

Courtney

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 11

Great job on the cake!

Courtney

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%