Wet Into Dry Or Vice Versa?

Decorating By icingpraises Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 1:06am by icingpraises

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:41am
post #1 of 6

Just curious if it makes a difference- should wet ingredients be added to dry or the other way around? Box instructions say wet to dry but it seems that I've heard the other way is better. Anyone? I apologize if this has already been addessed.

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #2 of 6

That's a pretty good question. All of our scratch cake and cookie recipes we use are dry into wet. I think it's so the wet elements can be combined uniformly before the thickening dry ingredients are added. Also, the eggs sometimes need to be well whipped and aerated first....then dry folded in carefully so as not to deflate them.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #3 of 6

If there is milk in a recipe I start and end with dry. It works out well. Actually when I think about it, it's always dry first in all of my recipes.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

You want to add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. I learned this in chemistry class a long time ago. If you start with all the dry ingedients and try to add the wet, you'll end up with a mess.

I guess cake mix is the one exception. But there, you add all the wet ingredients at once and all the dry ones are already mixed together.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6

Sorry your right I do use eggs before dry. icon_surprised.gif

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 1:06am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the input. Dry into wet seemed to make more sense somehow but I couldn't exactly determine why. I had always done it the cakebox way but I'm going to try it the other way icon_smile.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%