Candy/caramel Apples

Decorating By camouflagegirl Updated 30 Oct 2006 , 4:35pm by heavenlys

camouflagegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camouflagegirl Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 22

From now until Halloween, I will be making Caramel and 3 Chocolate Apples for my customers, at $2.50 each, or 1/2 for $12. They are dipped in a caramel layer, milk chocolate layer, white chocolate layer, and a dark chocolate layer, and then rolled in nuts.

I have made these before, but I would like suggestions on how to "better" them. Does anyone have a certain brand of chocolate bark they use, that is just amazing? Caramel recipes? The only things I can find are just melting the caramel candies, or making a sauce from sugar and water. Ideas on how to hang them, so they do not have a flat top (from sticking to the parchment paper)? How do you get to not to stick? And lastly, what do you carry them in? I want those carriers that store-bought apples come in. How do you wrap them in cellophane?

Can anyone help me?

21 replies
ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 22

Sounds yummy...here's a bump!!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 22

I just made 50 of those for a craft fair. Here's what I did.I just used the melted caramels, and dipped the apples. Ran a spatula around it to get off the excess. I placed them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper sprayed with Nonstick cooking spray and placed them in the freezer for a few minutes. Took them out and rolled them in either oreos, nuts, or butterfingers. Then I took the melted chocolate in a decorating bag and drizzled white and milk chocolate all over them, and put them back in the fridge.After they set a little, I put them on a flattened out foil cupcake liner, placed them in a large treat bag and tied pretty ribbons around them. I think you ought to charge a little more because they are very time consuming. I am charging $5.50 for mine. You can also roll in crushed graham crackers and mini marshmallows for a smore's apple. Hope this helps some!

Nana784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana784 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 22

I use the caramel wraps instead of melting the caramel squares. It takes two to cover an apple, then dip in chocolate. You don't get the caramel "pool" at the bottom and then I don't have a big chocolate pool. After the chocolate has set, I put them in the large treat bags, gather the top around the stick and tie with raffia. Hope this gives you some ideas.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 22

Nana784 - what are caramel wraps and where do you find them?? Thanks in advance!

Nana784 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 22

I think the name is Caramel Apple Wraps. Wal-Mart carries them in the produce section by the apples. The package is yellow and has five or six caramel discs. It is probably a little more expensive to use them but soooo much easier.

Delish-Design Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delish-Design Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 22

I make these all the time....and the way that I make it a lot less time consuming on the caramel end, is that I buy the caramel sauce that you put over ice cream, microwave it for 45 seconds, and dip away.
As far as them not sticking to the parchment...I want mine to have the flat bottom, they package better. I just put mine in the treat bags that come with twisty-ties, I don't use the Twisties, I make a pretty bow.

Hope this works for you as well as it works for me!!

camouflagegirl Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 22

Wow! You guys are great. I'm definitely going to go buy treat bags. What size do you use? I noticed at Wal-Mart last night, that they only carry large (which I think would be too big).

I'm getting ready to go buy apples. What types do you use? I usually use granny-smith for the tartness, but was wondering if something else might taste better.

I'm only charging so little right now, because this is my first "big" thing I'm attempting.

Nana784 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 22

I use granny smith and have used red delicious but they seem too sweet. I thought the large bags would be too big but I get large granny smiths and by the time you get all the coatings on they fit perfectly.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 22

if you look in the party section (where they have the balloons and birthday decorations) they have clear cello treat bags that are pleated........they're perfect for apples! Sometime I cut a little of the length off of the bag ( I use these for my decorated cookies and such too) but they're like 1.09 for 25 bags!! Oh and they usually have printed ones too.......I've bought halloween ones before they would be super cute with the apples if they're FOR halloween. Also......you can cook sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan for like 10 min. and it will cook down into a beautiful and delicious caramel. I get cans of it at Wal Mart for like .50 each!! Way cheaper than the caramel candies or the caramel apple wraps.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 22

I use this non-flowing caramel from country kitchen. It is awesome, nice firm caramel and really good with chocolate. I also get my bags, ties and sticks their too. I did not use med. size applies and was able to make 20 apples with some caramel let over to use for a couple at christmas time.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=618987

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ckideas/ckIdea.aspx?idea=148&occasion=Halloween

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 22

Another way to keep the bag from sticking is to cut a little base for each apple. About the thickness of a gift box, you know the kind you get for free from clothing stores. Cut it the size of the bottom of your bag and place your apple on it. That way when you tie your ribbon at the top, the cellophane doesn't stick. The pool of chocolate and caramel at the bottom helps the apple stand better. And, it's like an extra treat! You could also use Figi apples or Gala, something like that. Not too tart or sweet. I believe Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory uses an apple more like those, and their apples are DELISH! HTH!

Nana784 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 22

Thanks for the tip on the sweetened condensed milk! Would it substitute for the caramel in a turtle cake?

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 22

I'd love to know more about this. I hope this thread keeps going w/tips. I've tried what seems like a zillion times to make them. Always- my caramel and chocolate slide off my my apple. My apple ends up almost bare and the coatings on my parchment paper. DOes anyone know why this happens? The only thing I can think of is that it is b/c my apples are cold from the fridge and the coating are hot b/c they're melted. Any suggestions?

Also what type of "handle" do yall use on your apples? I've used popsicle sticks which seemed to keep coming right out. I've tried short dowel rods w/sharpened ends to stick through. Those seemed to work a little better.

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 22

Also, if you don't want a flat bottom, after you dip the apple and let it set for a few minutes, get it off the wax paper and mold the excess caramel until you've rounded it out... them dip or decorate as you please

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 5:48pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by camouflagegirl

I'm getting ready to go buy apples. What types do you use? I usually use granny-smith for the tartness, but was wondering if something else might taste better.

camouflagegirl, the new "gourmet" apple now is called Honey Crisp and is supposed to be WONDERFUL! Problem is, they're uber-pricey and since everyone is scooping them up like they're going out of style, you may not be able to find any! (Did Oprah or Martha Stewart mention recently that they love these? I can't understand the quick-hot attraction to an apple icon_lol.gif )

Also, Ida Reds, Cortlands and Spy apples would be okay for caramel apples, but Granny Smith is what I find works the best ... it's that juicy tartness that combines with the sweet of the caramel and the chocolate ... and the saltiness of any nuts you might add on top ... that makes everyone I know want to drool.

I also agree, though, you should be charging more for these, if for no other reason than the ingredient cost. Unless you are doing tiny little petite apples, I would think your customers would be willing to pay anywhere from $3 - $12 for these. A local orchard here charges anywhere from $8 - $15 for theirs, and they ship all over the place. Apparently, Marie Osmond is one of their regulars, too! I guess they sent some over when she was in a nearby town for a concert and she fell in love with them. She's been on the mailing list ever since!

Also, the CK caramel is what I use and it's really great! The best!

Good luck!

Odessa

camouflagegirl Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 5:26am
post #17 of 22

So, I just made 6 of these, and after calculating my expenses, I'm only making $.33 profit per apple. My husband and I decided to up the price to $5.00 an apple (after discussing it with MANY people), and we are going to post flyers around town tomorrow.

They are HUGE. I bet each apple weighs 1.5 pounds!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 6:20am
post #18 of 22

These sound Delicious!!! What chocolates are you using (Brand/type)?

This is the best caramel recipe for caramel apples! I alter it a bit for my caramel candies, but perfect as-is for apples. I suggest 240-242 for cooking temp for the right consistency. Let it cool a bit before dipping, or warm it back up if it is already cooled. This isn't hard like the candies can get, unless cooked too long. Nice buttery flavor.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chewy-Caramel/Detail.aspx

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmama

These sound Delicious!!! What chocolates are you using (Brand/type)?

This is the best caramel recipe for caramel apples! I alter it a bit for my caramel candies, but perfect as-is for apples. I suggest 240-242 for cooking temp for the right consistency. Let it cool a bit before dipping, or warm it back up if it is already cooled. This isn't hard like the candies can get, unless cooked too long. Nice buttery flavor.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chewy-Caramel/Detail.aspx

I will use whatever chocolate I can get my hands on ... Giardella, Valrhona, Callebaut, whatever. The pricier the chocolate, the more I charge. (gotta recover those costs!)

Thanks for the caramel recipe link ... it sounds great and I will be trying this weekend!

Odessa

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 3:54pm
post #20 of 22

[quote="krysoco"] Always- my caramel and chocolate slide off my my apple. My apple ends up almost bare and the coatings on my parchment paper. DOes anyone know why this happens? The only thing I can think of is that it is b/c my apples are cold from the fridge and the coating are hot b/c they're melted. Any suggestions?
quote]

Your caramel is sliding off because there can be nothing wet underneath it. So, if you're using cold apples, the condensation would make the caramel slide off once they start cooling. You want to wash your apples, then dry them off VERY well, or even let them sit for awhile so they are COMPLETELY dry. HTH.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm
post #21 of 22

I just made 2 doz. of these beauties to bring into the office. I always make my own caramel - it's not as sticky and doesn't pull your teeth out. I use the same caramel recipe for my turtles.
I use Empire apples - they're small and have just the right tart and hardness. I wash the apples and put them in the fridge the night before so they're nice a cold. The caramel doesn't slide off them and it doesn't stick to the parchment. If a little pools at the bottom, I just press it up around the apple before I dip it in chocolate. I usually use the candymelts - milk chocolate, white, and of course some dark - then drizzle with some more chocolate and sprinkle with the Halloween sprinkles. Any that don't look nice, my family gets to eat. I love these and I only make them at Halloween - a real treat!

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:35pm
post #22 of 22

I mak emine with fuji apples. I use peter's caramel blocks. I think you can buy that through Country kitchen sweetart. Then I let them rest on parchment. Not wax paper. The carmel will stick. Then I round up the extra caramel at the bottom and dip in semi sweet chocolate chips thata are melted and roll in tosted almonds and toffee pieces!!! They are YUMMY!! YOu can dip in other candies too But this versionis my fav.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%