Cake Mix For 16" Round

Decorating By specialkk Updated 21 Jul 2005 , 11:39pm by cakegal

specialkk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialkk Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a wedding cake and the bottom tier is 16 round. I would like to use a white Betty Crocker mix, but I am afraid the top layer will crack when I place it over the bottom layer. Should I use a yellow cake mix instead since it is more firm? I hate to bake another cake last minute because it cracks. Any tips on cake mixes or scratch recipes are so appreciated! I would love to keep the cake white.

3 replies
Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 4

I have used the French Vanilla BC Cake mix. And I didn't have a problem with it cracking. I put my layers in the freezer for a while, just to make them a little more sturdy. Good luck

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 4

I always use box mixes. I have a 14" round and it takes 2 cake mixes. AND please make sure if you are stacking cakes ontop of cake that you have a good support system. Read the forum below. Just a thought. GOOD LUCK!! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-4844.html

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 4

WOW!!! I have a 12" round that takes 2 cake mixes... What's your secret to getting that for a 14" round... do you use and extender????
Happy baking,
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%